Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non payment by photographer!

Options
  • 26-05-2008 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi, I have a model friend who modelled for a photographer , but he now hasn't paid. She's thinking of getting a solicitor to get the money back, but I'm suggesting Small Claims Court, which charges €50.

Also, she deals with photographers in the U.K too, so what if she was scammed over there too? How does that work? Do the Guards send over a summons to the U.K to appear at the S.C.C or what?

Thanks,

mal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

malene wrote: »
    Hi, I have a model friend who modelled for a photographer , but he now hasn't paid. She's thinking of getting a solicitor to get the money back, but I'm suggesting Small Claims Court, which charges €50.

Also, she deals with photographers in the U.K too, so what if she was scammed over there too? How does that work? Do the Guards send over a summons to the U.K to appear at the S.C.C or what?

Thanks,

mal

All she needs is to bring along an agreement and get the photographer to sign it before hand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I could be wrong but small claims court can't be used by a business trying to get money from another business, I'd imagine thats how this would be classed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

but I'm suggesting Small Claims Court, which charges €50.

does the small claims court not charge €9?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/small_claims_court

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

she's not a business, nor a sole trader i think, just someone charging for modelling for which the money will be used to fund her education.

mal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

she's not a business, nor a sole trader i think, just someone charging for modelling for which the money will be used to fund her education.

If she is charging for modelling then she is "working", so it's a business case. If she is earning ANY money from her modelling, then she needs to be very aware of the legal implications (tax, PRSI, etc) before she takes a legal case, or else she is opening herself up to a lot of hassle.

Most photographers I know would pay on the day of the shoot (and get a model release and receipt signed).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

mal
    Well she didn't buy anything so she’s not a customer/consumer she’s selling the right to take pictures of her. So maybe if the photographer isn't happy he could bring her to the small claims court as he's the buyer.

How much is the amount and then it would be easier to decide which course of action to take,

Debt collection
    Solicitors
    Credit agency

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Ok thanks guys, I'll pass these replies onto her and if she tell me any more, I'll post here.

mal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

And tell her in future to always get a model release form done.

Advertisement