Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free wifi in Galway?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Is there free wifi anywhere in Galway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

luckat wrote: »
    Is there free wifi anywhere in Galway?

Well the majority of Coffee shops like Mocha Beans wil let you use the WIFI just buy a coffee of whatever and they give you the code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks! Where's Mocha Beans, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's a Mocha Beans on Dominic St.

Massimo (Pub) is great too, the lads are nice and have lovely pizza.
    I would recommend it for a 'working lunch' :)
    It is on Sea Rd near the Crane, they give you a password

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

an tobar nua at the bottom of dominic street across from subway have free wifi. open tues to sat 10-5. cheap eats too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

luckat wrote: »
    Thanks! Where's Mocha Beans, please?

All over the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

an tobar nua at the bottom of dominic street across from subway have free wifi. open tues to sat 10-5. cheap eats too!

just keep at arms length from them born-again Christians... daft bunch. they'll try to convert you at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Keep an eye out for "Free Hotspot" stickers, Supermac's in Newcastle an the River Inn have it, its handy enough for free.
    Also I agree about An Tobar Nua, they were giving out "free" cookies years ago when I was in School, I asked "Whats the catch?", "You have to accept Jesus into your life..."
    I cut her off there and kept walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

majiktripp wrote: »
    Also I agree about An Tobar Nua, they were giving out "free" cookies years ago when I was in School, I asked "Whats the catch?", "You have to accept Jesus into your life..."

Haha theyre not that bad!..just american...just have your earphones on or be busy reading and they wont bother you! Service is kinda laid back but cheap which is good for us students..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway hotspots (incl Mocha Beans)
    http://thoughtwax.com/sandbox/galway-wifi/

Wasn't there supposed to be Wifi in Eyre Square itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

obviously the winos need wifi as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The Front Door has wifi available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

hada wrote: »
    obviously the winos need wifi as well!

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Your right Danny i remember reading about Galway City or County Council?wanting to make Eyre Sq a WIFI Zone for free, has this fallen on its arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You may be right about Eyre Sq...a friend was using a laptop in PORT (another internet cafe on the sq, but 'Cafe' for real there too, and they have wifi), and said she picked up a signal from the Sq..not sure how it works tho, ads, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I tried Eyre Square this afternoon - got I think four different "Galway wireless hotspot" signals nice and strong, all showing as unlocked, but couldn't connect to a single one! Not sure what the story is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sandybee

Yes, the winos objected as they were afraid of being nuked or some
    thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

It does indeed have wifi. Im not sure how safe it would be to use it though. Something about using a free wifi connection that the public has free access to, doesnt seem safe, ie; someone possibly getting onto your computer through the connection. I would appreciate any tech heads correcting me on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Krieg wrote: »
    It does indeed have wifi. Im not sure how safe it would be to use it though. Something about using a free wifi connection that the public has free access to, doesnt seem safe, ie; someone possibly getting onto your computer through the connection. I would appreciate any tech heads correcting me on this

Three things to be aware of...

(1) potential attacks from users connected to the same hotspot and connecting to your laptop on open network ports. The use of a standard firewall should block this pretty easily. This comes by default with Win XP SP2. Better free alternatives like Kerio and Comodo also exist

(2) potential attacks from users connected to the same hotspot wirelessly scanning what information you're up/down-loading. This is more difficult to defend against. I'd recommend not reading email from websites that don't offer https functionality. Gmail is pretty good for this. I'd also recommend not entering your credit card details on any site while connected if possible.

(3) potential attacks from someone setting up a fake hotspot with the same SSID as other legitimate hotspots in the same area, so as to scan your data and possibly get access to your email, and/or take your credit card details. Again more difficult to defend against.

Overall, most are probably pretty safe, you just need to be aware of the possibilities, and adjust accordingly

Stky10 wrote: »
    Three things to be aware of...

(1) potential attacks from users connected to the same hotspot and connecting to your laptop on open network ports. The use of a standard firewall should block this pretty easily. This comes by default with Win XP SP2. Better free alternatives like Kerio and Comodo also exist

(2) potential attacks from users connected to the same hotspot wirelessly scanning what information you're up/down-loading. This is more difficult to defend against. I'd recommend not reading email from websites that don't offer https functionality. Gmail is pretty good for this. I'd also recommend not entering your credit card details on any site while connected if possible.

(3) potential attacks from someone setting up a fake hotspot with the same SSID as other legitimate hotspots in the same area, so as to scan your data and possibly get access to your email, and/or take your credit card details. Again more difficult to defend against.

Overall, most are probably pretty safe, you just need to be aware of the possibilities, and adjust accordingly

Cheers for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Does anyone have any update on other free WiFi spots in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

McDonalds have free wifi on Shop St. Just ask for the password....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

donmeister wrote: »
    Don't you have to accept Ronald as your lord and saviour rejecting those who seek to lead you astray like the Hamburglar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Robbo wrote: »
    Don't you have to accept Ronald as your lord and saviour rejecting those who seek to lead you astray like the Hamburglar?
    Yes,I have already,it aint too bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

No. 8 on the Docks has it too. Any excuse to head down there...

http://www.galwaycitypubguide.com/all-pubs/bar-no.-8.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Doesn't Eircom broadcast wifi from selected phone booths? I know of two in Athlone that brag.

flazio wrote: »
    Doesn't Eircom broadcast wifi from selected phone booths? I know of two in Athlone that brag.

Yes they are called eircom hotspots. But you need to be an eircom BB customer I think. When you try to access them it asks for a login. I did see that you could sign up for the service w/o getting the standard BB but I think they were charging something stupid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

donmeister wrote: »
    I thought they planed to have free wifi in all their restaurants to go with their new trendy cafe style interiors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Franky Stein

Info here on Eircom Hot Spots, they were giving free access password for 3 months to use it if you had broadband from eircom. Not sure if it was just business accounts or home accounts also.

Mocha Beans on middle street used to give vouchers for 10 or 20 minutes free access, not sure if they still do.

I'd love to know about the Galway Wireless on eyre square, i've connected a few times to 2 of the hotspots but never been able to access any websites/email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

just keep at arms length from them born-again Christians... daft bunch. they'll try to convert you at every opportunity.

i really actually talked to these people, some of the nicest people i've meet in my life, have spent plenty of times in there never once did religion come up, don't be so stupid.

Advertisement