Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diluted milk at supermarkets

Options
  • 26-05-2008 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

For the second time in as many months a major supermarket appears, to my taste, to be selling diluted semi-skimmed milk. At least this second time it doesn't taste like Marvel dried milk. Other members of the household concur.

Has anyone else experienced this is the last few months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol I always thought ALL "lite" milk was just watered down normal milk.
    Can't stand the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wertz wrote: »
    lol I always thought ALL "lite" milk was just watered down normal milk.

It's not watered down, they just skim the fat from it.
    What's the point in watering down milk when it is basically water

Reminds me of working as a barman and being accused of watering down pints every single night. :mad:

Is it a supermarket own brand?
    All you can do is take the batch number and report it, you might get some vouchers. Of course, you could just be imagining it. I mean if you know what dried milk is like and most people don't and you are constantly buying semi-skilled milk then do you even know what the brand is supposed to be like?

Semi-skilled might be 1% fat to some companies and maybe 0.5% or 1.5% to others
    And some sell no-fat which is truely like water, did you buy this?

Pick a brand, stick to it and be sure of your facts before you go complaining to the supermarket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

yes you should definately report it.

i had a similar issue with a big supermarket a few months back.
    If its the same one i delt with they take issues like that very seriously.
    They where very quick to deal with the problem and gave me no hastle what so
    ever. After i had returned the goods to them the send me a letter a week
    later and where very open about what the problem was, not once did i get
    fobbed off.

I even got a box with about 10 packets of biscuits from them. :pac: :pac: :pac:

If you have been buying the same brand of milk all along im sure you would nptice a difference if it was changed. Maybe something like change of suppliers or wrong milk
    in the wrong branded carton. But have a word with the supermarket you wont get to the
    bottom of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

micmclo wrote: »
    Semi-skilled might be 1% fat to some companies and maybe 0.5% or 1.5% to others
    I only buy milk with a first-class honours degree personally :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Supermarket branded full milk has been known to be watered down in order to bring down costs and up profits for the producer (usually the supermarket).
    As far as i know, it has not happened here but has been a scandal in Oz recently.
    http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=450681

To make money ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

micmclo wrote: »
    It's not watered down, they just skim the fat from it.

I was being a little facetious with my other post, but TBH, if you physically remove some of the fat from what is essentially a mix of fat and water, then you do in fact simply water it down by proxy.
    Anyways like I said, I'd sooner take cold water on my cereal than lite milk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Alun wrote: »
    I only buy milk with a first-class honours degree personally :D

Oops, I posted semi-skilled instead of semi-skimmed. :D:o
    To be fair it was 05:35 in the morning so half asleep
    Wertz wrote: »
    I was being a little facetious with my other post, but TBH, if you physically remove some of the fat from what is essentially a mix of fat and water, then you do in fact simply water it down by proxy.

Fair enough but there is a big difference between accusing a company of watering down milk compared to skimming the fat from it. After all, if you buy skimmed milk, that's what you wanted and are are getting so no reason to complain if it's different to full fat milk.

The OP has a valid complaint though. Maybe they put the 0% fat milk in the semi-skimmed carton. I think this might be what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its not unknown to get wrong milk, I bought low-fat and got full fat once or twice down the years.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should call Lite Milk - White Water, a pointless commodity.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

Supermarket own brand is made by the same milk company, it is the same milk just in a different carton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Could be due to a seasonal change in the original whole milk. Milk does not have a consistent taste/consistency year-round. Little bit about it here:

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2007/04/25/spring_milk/

I would guess this is what you are noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that it goes through so much processing, it would be work out how much of a carton came from a cow and how much from a few sacks of chemicals and a tap. That's my opinion and I don't base that on hard facts because I don't know what goes on in these places. In the good old days, it used to go sour. Now, when it's gone off, it seems to be a lump of something, with a strange smell, bobbing around in some semi-clear liquid.

Advertisement