Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had Sinn Fein at the door

Options
  • 26-05-2008 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I just had Sinn Fein at the door and the usual "how will you be voting" business started when I told him I was undecided he said " make sure if you are voting no that you go and vote because if you don't vote it's an automatic Yes"

Please God tell me this is not true! When I started questioning him he wasn't so certain but said that the Nice treaty was passed even though there was an 80% yes vote. This is the strangest conversation I have ever had. Didn't continue arguing with him because he took me by surprise and I hadn't got my facts straight. Is there any truth in this?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

foxy06 wrote: »
    When I started questioning him he wasn't so certain but said that the Nice treaty was passed even though there was an 80% yes vote.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this? The Nice Treaty (version II) was passed with 62.9% of people voting "yes".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ehhh, don't be ridiculous. Its not an automatic yes, its nothing. You haven't voted. More lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

He basically just told me that when the nice treaty was passed that there was an 80% no vote??? I am just stunned to be honest at the crap that came out of his mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

well percentage of population maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

He basically just told me that when the nice treaty was passed that there was an 80% no vote???
    well percentage of population maybe??

18% of the electorate voted No at Nice I and Nice II - it would be less than that as a percentage of the population. I'm pretty amazed someone would make quite such a barefaced false claim.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

well they'd be larger precentage of the pop who didn't vote yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I just had Sinn Fein at the door and the usual "how will you be voting" business started when I told him I was undecided he said " make sure if you are voting no that you go and vote because if you don't vote it's an automatic Yes"

Please God tell me this is not true! When I started questioning him he wasn't so certain but said that the Nice treaty was passed even though there was an 80% yes vote. This is the strangest conversation I have ever had. Didn't continue arguing with him because he took me by surprise and I hadn't got my facts straight. Is there any truth in this?:confused:
    That is retarded. So retarded. That would make it nearly impossible for any referendum to vote No.
    Phone Sinn Fein HQ and tell them, I don't think even they would stoop to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Maybe he was saying that if you do not go out and vote no then the yes is pretty much guaranteed to win i.e. the no camp need all the people who want to vote no to actually go out and vote as they are behind in the polls at the moment. Sounds logical to me.
    I think this guy was mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Tbh I think he just started spouting off crap, didn't know what direction he was going in and when I questioned him and said "so your saying if I don't vote my vote will automatically be counted as a yes" He seemed a little stunned and started saying that it happened with the Nice Treaty.

btw I live in a council estate and I find they think your a little stupid and will take any comments without question, not just Sinn Fein but most partys when they call about elections or referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Tbh I think he just started spouting off crap, didn't know what direction he was going in and when I questioned him and said "so your saying if I don't vote my vote will automatically be counted as a yes" He seemed a little stunned and started saying that it happened with the Nice Treaty.
    Probably was something like that.
    btw I live in a council estate and I find they think your a little stupid and will take any comments without question, not just Sinn Fein but most partys when they call about elections or referendums.
    I'd say many dont bother questioning, i doubt it has anything to do with living in a council estate. It is good to question but if you are questioning the wrong person i.e. someone that knows f'uck all then you ain't gonna get your answers. I'd say it is hard to get good teams of people out canvassing who actually know their stuff - thats on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

well they'd be larger precentage of the pop who didn't vote yes

That might work as a number, but would still be a gross distortion. After all, you're talking about having to include babies there. Keen political instincts, your average 6-month old - it's all that politician-kissing that does it.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

well quoting the ref results are quite straight either seeing how few voted, have to ackowldge the difference between the voting age population and those who voted

Advertisement