Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antique Engagement Ring

Options
  • 26-05-2008 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if any of you ladies got engaged and bought an antique ring? I have my heart set on one. Firstly, i love the quaintness and daintiness of most antique rings and seconly, I like the idea of being different.

I had looked in the window of few places in Powerscourt, specifically Delphi antiques. Has anyone any idea of the price range of such rings. I know it depends on the diamond and the setting etc. but could you get one for under 3k for example?

Would appreciate any help!

Comments

I love antique diamonds.
    3k is a decent budget.

Check out www.faycullen.com for some eye candy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

2 of the stones in my ring are antique diamonds, I think that he got them in an auction and then got the ring made. 3K is tons (I think, I didn't really ask him!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

I love the idea of antique engagement rings too..knowing that there is another love story behind your ring..i hope to one day have one..

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

make sure that settings are tight and perhaps get a new band and tis as good as new. One difficulty is that if you have the misfortune to lose a stone, it migth be nigh on impossible to get a replacement as the cut in antique stones is different to the modern cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I have an antique ring and I love it. See pic. It's an Opal. Had to get my wedding ring designed to go around it, and had it cleaned and appraised at the same time. Worth 2k but priceless to me. It was his Nan's and I have my own Nan's ring too. But hers is yellow gold which I'm not a fan of. Keep meaning to get it dipped or made into a necklace or something.

Everyone and I mean everyone seems to have the same ring these days (white gold or platnium diamond solitaire) and while they're very nice, I love mine for its history and uniqueness. For anyone who is considering it I say go for it.

ps. I got a very nice diamond necklace too as the ring was free. Also I loved it on sight and wanted it as my ring. Don't be pressured into wearing a ring you don't like. I always feel sorry for girls whose bf's surprise them with some ghastly bauble.

• Advertisement

Grawns I have a serious case of baubel envy here.
    Its fabtanbulous!!!

I disagree with you about the ugly rings though.
    I have honestly only ever seen one ugly engagement ring.
    I want 99.99999999999% of sparkley things.

Yeah but sometimes the ring doesn't suit the hand, 2 big, 2 small, 2 goldie looking. Worst I know is a white gold and yellow gold twin set. It looks like it came from Argos. and they are seriously loaded. He, being a very nice builder from the North ( no sisters) hadn't a clue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I got my engagement ring at an antique fair being held in the Hilton hotel by the Charlemont Luas stop.

It's a ruby flanked by 2 diamonds from the 1950's and cost us just a little over 1k. Bad picture of it below.

when was that cause as far as I can see you get better quality, more unique pieces and a much better price for vintage jewelllery. The only thing is that it would be very hard to bring back if you find you've been ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

im not an antique jewelary fan i must say. i like the idea of him getting me a ring made espically for me. but unfortunetly we are no where near that subject. we are still talking about it in general terms:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

A new ring with no possibly sad history for me please.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Grawns wrote: »
    when was that cause as far as I can see you get better quality, more unique pieces and a much better price for vintage jewelllery. The only thing is that it would be very hard to bring back if you find you've been ripped off.
    Was that directed at me? I got my engagement ring in late 2006. There was also a lovely ring with an emerald in it at the same fair but we both prefered the ruby.

TBH I don't care how much it *might* be worth, I love it and wouldn't have a different ring. We did look at more modern rings but there didn't seem to be any nice ones with stones other than diamonds.

PS: Did you know that rubies are the traditional engagement ring stone? Diamonds only became the tradition through a clever marketing campaign in the Victorian era.

I got my engagement ring at an antique fair being held in the Hilton hotel by the Charlemont Luas stop.

It's a ruby flanked by 2 diamonds from the 1950's and cost us just a little over 1k. Bad picture of it below.

Want!

Grawns wrote: »
    Yeah but sometimes the ring doesn't suit the hand, 2 big, 2 small, 2 goldie looking. Worst I know is a white gold and yellow gold twin set. It looks like it came from Argos. and they are seriously loaded. He, being a very nice builder from the North ( no sisters) hadn't a clue.

I love mixed gold rings.
    I'm typically pasty, and white metal just does nothing for my complexion.
    I have a couple of art noveau pieces and they have gold band and white gold in the settings.
    It makes the diamonds look bigger too.
    Has that builder got any single brothers hanging about?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Purely from a longevity perspective, make sure if your buying a s/h ring that the setting is in good condition. Sometimes the settings can be worn at the base from sitting next to a wedding ring, ditto for the band itself. If its a claw set ring, if you can, get the claws checked for wear, or have a look yourself to see if they look thin or worn at the tops. Its hard to spot with the naked eye, you need a loupe (eyeglass).

As has been said, the diamonds may not be cut in the modern brilliant style, which means they may still be excellent stones, but you wont get the same fire as from a brilliant (or if square 'princess' cuts).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I love the idea of an antique ring, but I also find it a bit sad, the ring you might wind up wearing could be because the happy couple got divorced, one died..etc etc

I love rubys and emeralds but you only ever see them on gold rings, whereas I prefer white gold

Oryx wrote: »
    As has been said, the diamonds may not be cut in the modern brilliant style, which means they may still be excellent stones, but you wont get the same fire as from a brilliant (or if square 'princess' cuts).

Old cut rounds are actually more firey.
    They are not as brilliant, but they have a different charm.
    They twinkle at you with broad flashes of light and rainbows dance through the facets.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Old cut rounds have more actually more firey.
    They are not as brilliant, but they have a different charm.
    They twinkle at you with broad flashes of light and rainbows dance through the facets.
    Im only speaking from a technical point then. :) The brilliant is the cut thats been worked out to reflect the most light and fire back. Its all very scientific, but since when was romance and beauty scientific :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

A new ring with no possibly sad history for me please.

I have to agree with this. I wouldnt be into an antique ring some other woman had worn; sure she could have been throttled to death by her husband back in 1882 for all I know! :D

seahorse wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. I wouldnt be into an antique ring some other woman had worn; sure she could have been throttled to death by her husband back in 1882 for all I know! :D

That wouldn't reall bother me.
    The romance of being attached to another relationship wouldn't be a selling point for me either.
    Although I love the idea of a family heirloom.

If you've ever bought a second hand car it is likely the previous owner christened it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its called recycling girls

no-one should be buying dismonds in this day and age whether they be conflict free or not

think about your carbon footprints

Advertisement