Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub food in the city

Options
  • 26-05-2008 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

where do you think are the best pubs in town for dinner about e12-e15 that give a good sized portion. have to say the cellar and front door have dropped the ball in last few months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was just gonna say those two for good food :D
    Pasta Carbonara in Cellar and Tuna Melt in Front Door. Yum.

biko wrote: »
    I was just gonna say those two for good food :D
    Pasta Carbonara in Cellar and Tuna Melt in Front Door. Yum.

That pub at bottom of shop street.I think its Murphys,decent food and very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That pub at bottom of shop street.I think its Murphys,decent food and very cheap.

Murphy's is halfway down, don't think they serve food (never had any in there anyway). Do you mean the Quays carvery perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

where do you think are the best pubs in town for dinner about e12-e15 that give a good sized portion. have to say the cellar and front door have dropped the ball in last few months.

Whats the preoccupation with quantity over quality throughout much of Ireland, I would much rather find a pub that served really good food in a normal portion such as you find in a great many of UK pubs (in lots of these you get great food - way better than most of the restaurants in Galway at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Monroes for pizza and McSwiggans is yum too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Webbs wrote: »
    Whats the preoccupation with quantity over quality throughout much of Ireland, I would much rather find a pub that served really good food in a normal portion such as you find in a great many of UK pubs (in lots of these you get great food - way better than most of the restaurants in Galway at least)

I look for quality AND quantity!

Front Door specials are generally OK, and the Quays will give you a good quality well priced feed.

Unfortunately, most places tend to be hit or miss; the Quays is the only place that's consistently good, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Fey! wrote: »
    I look for quality AND quantity!

Front Door specials are generally OK, and the Quays will give you a good quality well priced feed.

Unfortunately, most places tend to be hit or miss; the Quays is the only place that's consistently good, IMHO.

Its still all pretty standard pub grub though - this is an area with fantastic fish and meat on its doorstep yet we get none of this in the pubs of Galway (and most of the restaurants). Where is the imagination and creativity in the pubs its all just 'common denominator' food, and this at a time the pubs are bemoaning the fact that no one is going to the pubs anymore - a decent 'gastropub' in galway would surely clean up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Front Door has thankfully gone back to it's old menu and the food has been quite decent over the past few weeks. IMO the food in Buskers and the Living room is skank - can remember the last time I got a good meal in either.

+1 for the carbonara in the Cellar it's quality.

I know it's not a pub but the Mustard Seed across from the Corn Store is a good place to go for lunch - they do homemade pizzas and killer homemade burgers. The serivce can at times be slow but it's worth it:)

For sandwiches, soup, salads etc Anton's on Fr Griffin Road is hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Got a massive portion in Monroes at the weekend for €9.50, spicy chicken melt with salad and fries...Yum! :pac:.

Monroes or the Galway Arms are the best I've had in the city. Prompt service too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

yeah ill say monores has to get the thumbs up on massive PORTIONS
    PLUS THE STAFF are sound

ONLY THING I FIND LATELY THE PIZZA PLACE IS GOING TO SH*T
    AND I KNOW THERE SEPERATE>>>>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

axiom32 wrote: »
    PLUS THE STAFF are sound

What? The staff are black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

The Western. Always quick to serve & full to the brim after spending less than a tenner! Quality food too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

morgans over on forster street do good pub food anytime i have been there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Blakes tavern (used to be that awful rough pub (kates?) / merry fiddler) out by tesco do very good food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

i know it#s not city centre but I've always eaten very well in the huntsman.I reckon it has the best pub food in galway

b.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Agree it's good Bruno but has tiny portions! Any timeI've been there in male company they've thought it a joke! Lovely food though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I was down there for lunch the other day and their chargrilled chicken was lovely... I couldn't see myself going down there for an evening meal though for some reason... not sure why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lawoman

The Front door used to do great food, but they're not the best these days, I was really sick after eating there a few months back. I dunno if I'd agree with Monroes staff being all that friendly, one guy there was a bit cranky with the customers a few days ago... suppose every1 has their bad days! McSwiggans is great!!!! And the Huntsman is good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

King's Head is a safe bet. Service can be slow when they are busy .
    Also, Blu on Shop Street (a few doors from Body Shop) has a limited sambo menu but it's good and not expensive.

Advertisement