Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Police stoped me for driving to close to car in front at RUSHHOUR

Options
  • 26-05-2008 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I got stopped by the police at 5;15pm today coming down from the M1 into town, at Whitehall just before you turn onto Griffith Avenue.

Guard said he was stopping me for dangerous driving - driving too close to car infront. It's crazy! Really. I couldn't believe it. I'm not joking he took all my details. My insurance details, everything.

This is DANGEROUS DRIVING not penalty points. He said he was not a traffic cop. I asked him when he was leaving if I was going to court and he said normally no but with my attitude I might be.

I have an English Licence which he got details from, he also has my friends address when I live now in Dublin and my home address in Connaught which is on my insurance certificate.

If this goes ahead, I guess I will receive a summons to court...I have no respect for the police anymore.

Am I screwed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

barrybevel wrote: »
    I got stopped by the police at 5;15pm today coming down from the M1 into town, at Whitehall just before you turn onto Griffith Avenue.

Guard said he was stopping me for dangerous driving - driving too close to car infront. It's crazy! Really. I couldn't believe it. I'm not joking he took all my details. My insurance details, everything.

This is DANGEROUS DRIVING not penalty points. He said he was not a traffic cop. I asked him when he was leaving if I was going to court and he said normally no but with my attitude I might be.

I have an English Licence which he got details from, he also has my friends address when I live now in Dublin and my home address in Connaught which is on my insurance certificate.

If this goes ahead, I guess I will receive a summons to court...I have no respect for the police anymore.

Am I screwed?

To be honest are you sure your telling us the full story? It sounds strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

How close were you to the car in front ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 barrybevel

random wrote: »
    How close were you to the car in front ?

Pretty close - I was in no danger of hitting him - but closer than I should have been.

How fast were you going at the time?

Can I loose my licence for this? It's English so I can't.
    What will happen if it goes to court? I could be banned from driving or get a fine.
    I can't imagine I will get banned for driving to close to the car in front at that speed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

closer than I should have been.

And yet your giving out about it:rolleyes:

I don't know how fast - and they dont know either.
    I was coming down to Whitehall at rushhour so not that fast. It was pretty busy.
    They weren't complaing about the guy in front going fast just that if he stopped I would hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I condone this. Tailgating pisses me off big time, even if it was rush hour.
    Btw, I guess this is one of those "you had to be there" moments?

kmart6 wrote: »
    And yet your giving out about it:rolleyes:

You have never driven too close to the car in front at Rush Hour?

biko wrote: »
    I condone this. Tailgating pisses me off big time, even if it was rush hour.
    Btw, I guess this is one of those "you had to be there" moments?
    +1

• Advertisement

So you (admit) were travelling too close behind someone and the Guards pulled you for it. Grand so.

I don't know how you would lose respect in the police. They're out doing their job.

You have never driven too close to the car in front at Rush Hour?
    Your giving out about the Gardai giving out to you about it...yet you admit you were too close...so what is your point here?!

We probably all have and the truth is if we all got stopped for it we'd think twice before doing it again. This would mean less people crashing into the back of each other.

random wrote: »
    We probably all have and the truth is if we all got stopped for it we'd think twice before doing it again. This would mean less people crashing into the back of each other.
    True,but I think a lot of accidents where someone run's into the back of another car when the traffic is barely moving is due to not concentrating,looking away etc....!

kmart6 wrote: »
    True,but I think a lot of accidents where someone run's into the back of another car when the traffic is barely moving is due to not concentrating,looking away etc....!
    And with a greater distance between cars there would be a better chance of breaking in time, even with a lapse in concentration.

Drumcondra road at 5:30 everyone is dring close to each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just because everybody drives on everybody elses bumper during rush hour doesn't mean that it is ok or safe to do so.

>>Just because everybody drives on everybody elses bumper during rush hour doesn't mean that it is ok or safe to do so.

I agree.

But has anyone else been pulled for this?

Do you think they will go ahead with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Now I have had experience of Cops being unfair myself but, as you say yourself,
    Pretty close - I was in no danger of hitting him - but closer than I should have been.
    ...They weren't complaing about the guy in front going fast just that if he stopped I would hit him.

You seem to admit that you were too close. What is too close if not dangerous?

BostonB wrote: »
    Now I have had experience of Cops being unfair myself but, as you say yourself,

You seem to admit that you were too close. What is too close if not dangerous?

I guess if he hit the breaks I would hit him.

But I bet the car behind me would hit me too!

• Advertisement

Very good point. There should be more chevrons on Irish roads!

The guard said it was dangerous driving. I looked up the penalty points and there IS one for tailgating:

"Failure to leave appropriate distance between you and the vehicle in front"
    2 points €80

If that's all that happens I won't mind but if he bring me to court for dangerous driving like he said then it's bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What car were you driving ?
    What was the car in front of you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

You won't get brought to court so forget about it, worst case scenario is that you'll get points. You do get the odd prick but overall the vast majority are fairly sound.
    He didn't seem to like your attitude and thats why he mentioned a court appearance. Id say they hear excuses all day and that has to wreck their heads. I'll admit i've gotten away with the odd thing here and there when I should have been done because I appologised and didn't try to justify what I was doing. If your being smart and making excuses for yourself they'll screw ye.
    vectra wrote: »
    What car were you driving ?
    If it was a Glanza, civic or something similar thats probably the reason you were pulled over

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i hate to sound smart but i wish the garda would pull more people for this offence.

also on another note, if you living in Dublin but your insurance is in connactht (spelling) then technically, is your car insured?

you know the usual clause that the car must be at the insured address for atleast 3 days of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

kceire wrote: »
    also on another note, if you living in Dublin but your insurance is in connactht (spelling) then technically, is your car insured?

you know the usual clause that the car must be at the insured address for atleast 3 days of the week.

Never heard of that before..
    Are you sure ?

My insurance gives me cover to drive out foreign for a month or something along those lines.
    But according to you I would have to go home every couple of days to stay covered :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

kceire wrote: »
    i hate to sound smart but i wish the garda would pull more people for this offence.

That would make going away for a weeks holiday a bit hard no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I think what it means is that if you give an address you must reside there with your car, at least 3 days a week, the month away from home driving foriegn is allowed, not living in dublin but having an address in galway or mayo or someplace with cheaper insurance costs.

The OP says he is staying at a friends place. He is alright anyway, english licence, can't do nothing YET!

colly10 wrote: »
    You won't get brought to court so forget about it, worst case scenario is that you'll get points. You do get the odd prick but overall the vast majority are fairly sound.
    He didn't seem to like your attitude and thats why he mentioned a court appearance. Id say they hear excuses all day and that has to wreck their heads. I'll admit i've gotten away with the odd thing here and there when I should have been done because I appologised and didn't try to justify what I was doing. If your being smart and making excuses for yourself they'll screw ye.
    If it was a Glanza, civic or something similar thats probably the reason you were pulled over

Sound, as long as I don't go to court I don't mind getting the points.

Was driving a BMW 318 saloon.

• Advertisement

cabrwab wrote: »
    I think what it means is that if you give an address you must reside there with your car, at least 3 days a week, the month away from home driving foriegn is allowed, not living in dublin but having an address in galway or mayo or someplace with cheaper insurance costs.

The OP says he is staying at a friends place. He is alright anyway, english licence, can't do nothing YET!

I told the guard I'm staying at a friends house which I am and I told him I'm from Connaught so he didn't care about the insurance.

I got 2 points before delivered to my Dublin address (I have English Licence).
    When getting insured I told them about the points. I dont want them to use it as an excuse not to cover me if anything happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement