Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the culprit?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Should I Take a Compensation Offer?
    Q: I've had a long-running issue with my mortgage provider that seems to be entering ‘endgame’ now. Without going into specifics, there were charges being wrongly levied on my account, and the customer service for dealing with the issue was atrocious. They’ve only really made an effort to address it after I threatened to make a complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman.
    I’ve just received an apology letter and an offer of monetary compensation if I’m willing to sign a letter stating that I won’t not proceed with the complaint any further or publicise it in any way to third parties. Obviously, the compensation (however small) is welcome, but I’m a little confused about whether to accept it. Is this offer legal? Is it worth going to the Financial Services Ombudsman? I’m torn between taking the case to the Financial Ombudsman and running the risk of chance of receiving no compensation, or taking the money and letting the bank off the hook.

A: In answer to your first question, yes, it’s perfectly legal. As for your other issue, you have nothing to lose by formally seeking a final response from the bank if you haven’t done so already. Without knowing how big the offer was, I would be inclined to initiate a complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman. The offer from the lender is probably made to avoid a bigger and binding finding by the FSO and may have been triggered by pressure from IFSRA, its regulator, if there’s been a raft of these complaints. (I can nearly guess who the culprit is). Check with the FSO, but I think you’ve nothing to lose and more to gain by pursuing it through their office.

seen this on you and your money http://www.youandyourmoney.ie/content.asp?contentid=967

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm not sure I see the point in opening a thread, then copying and pasting stuff from another site.

Closing this unless someone can give me a good reason for it to be open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement