Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temper tantrums 3yr old boy

Options
  • 26-05-2008 9:11pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone out there can offer any advice on dealing with this. He is generally a very good natured little boy and is very loving and affectionate. He attends a creche and behaves brilliantly there, but once at home, if things don't go his way he will throw an allmighty tantrum. He refuses to liste, won't do what he is told, pinches, throws things. I usually take the brunt of all this. We have tried removing his toys, restricting tv viewing, and when he is being aggressive we remove him to his room and close the door for 3mins to allow him to came down (and us!!).
    It's not restricted to not getting his own way, other things can trigger him as well. I know its just a phase but I would like to nip it the bud, not least because we are going on holiday next week and I would not enjoy these performances.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All kids go through this, it is them trying to exert thier will and get what they want.
    You need to intervine before he gets to full blown tantrum stage and try get him in a time out and if he does go to full tantrum to try not get upset and to let him wear himself out safely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks I know its just a phase its hard to see things rationally when it is happening to you. Its worst when we are in company as we find that either distraction can work or ignoring him sometimes works, but I tend to find that some people will pander to him which makes things worse, I guess that I should try to ignore their behaviour and not let things get to me. Its just frustrating because it always looks like everyone elses child is behaving and mine isn't! It doesn't help with him being so tall either because people think he is older than he is and expect him to behave differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Main thing to do, as Thaed says, is to think a few steps ahead of the little lad, so that you can drive around a tantrum cause before he sees it on the road!

And it helps if he has to earn things a bit. Tantrums can happen because a kid can't control things.

So, for instance, if he has to 'earn' a Simpsons half-hour by laying the sideplates on the table, or the cutlery, then he will feel ok about it if the TV is then firmly switched off.

But if he has the right to watch TV ad lib, he'll become exhausted and cranky, and get into a rage when it has to be switched off.

Advertisement