Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast computers

Options
  • 26-05-2008 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

My Desktop with an AMD Athlon 3200+ with 512mb RAM can do a little video conversion job to DVD in about 2 hours.

My laptop with an AMD Turien TL58 or something and a Gb of Ram can do it in about 1 hour.

Firstly are the processor and memory the two main factors in determining the speed of this conversion.

How would people recommend I spend 700 - 800 euros in upgrading so that I can maximise the speed of these sort of tasks. Gaming isn't a huge priority and I'm more concerned with the overall speed of the computer for example I'd love if documents opened instantly. Is this possible?

I have 2 fine DVD writers, plenty of hard disk space and 4gb of DDR2 memory (doesn't fit in my Desktop).

Am I better building or purchasing something like an Dell XPS 420 or 720 from the Dell Outlet. (seen them with Quad 6600 and up to 4gb of RAM from 500 - 900 recently)

Thanks for any help or advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd probably get a new motherboard and a q6600. You already have more than enough hard disk space and ram and you don't need a graphics card so getting a new computer is a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Depends on the software used and if it supports multi core cpu's and so on..

Encoding video is all about the cpu, ram and other bits of some importantance too...

Generally a Q6600 overclocked to 3.40ghz with 4 gigs of decent ram, is what will give you best speed/value..

If you have a case just get a good mobo and Q6600 and compatible ram, if not you are better off building from scratch then going with a dell, they cant be overclocked ( unless you get the hella expensive 630/ 720 range ) building is also good fun, it will give you a much better knowledge of how your computer works and if your computer ever does get into trouble you will be a much better position to fix it yourself, after building the thing..

Overclocking is something you should look into if you want to a good bit of video encoding a mild overclock of the Q6600 from 2.40ghz to 3.20ghz can give you a 32% boost in speed ( 1 hour to 41mins )

You can get a class system from hardwareversand for €650 and €750 if you game a bit..

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/3/home.jsp

What I would get..

k0x8cs9ttppior1kqyo_thumb.jpg

Advertisement