Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 Support

Options
  • 26-05-2008 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

I don't want to tempt fate here, but I think I may have us sorted with a support vehicle for the W200 -mate of mine has a jeep and thinks he's free (he will confirm this week), so we can get plenty of grub and spares in the back, so fingers crossed he's ok for it!

Just in case it falls through, anyone else have any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

are we getting the boards.ie jersey colour team sprayed over the jeep ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Bambaata wrote: »
    are we getting the boards.ie jersey colour team sprayed over the jeep ;P

Afraid that may be a step too far :)

ah darn! i am realy not ready for this event! i have a triathlon on Saturday and cracked a rib 2 weeks ago which kills when i breathe deeply so ill have had 0 120km+ cycles before it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

I envy you Triathletes.

i wouldnt consider myself one unfortunately. been trying to get into them this past 2 yrs. two yrs ago tore a medial meniscus (spelling??!) so only managed one that season cos i didnt have the operation until January last year Then last year i broke my collar bone at the start of May, got to do one in July and broke the collarbone again two weeks after it!

So this year i finally got into training proper. have done 4 duathlons as some preparation and been hitting the pool with some 40 - 80km cucles once or twice a week and generally doing more. This Sat will be my first Tri this season and now ive cracked a rib so ive had to virtually kill the training the past 2 weeks (just managing the pool, hoping some painkillers will help come Saturday!) lol. I think someone is trying to tell me something!!

• Advertisement

I think someone is trying to tell me something!!

That triathlons are not a real sport? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

I don't want to tempt fate here, but I think I may have us sorted with a support vehicle for the W200 -mate of mine has a jeep and thinks he's free (he will confirm this week), so we can get plenty of grub and spares in the back, so fingers crossed he's ok for it!

Hi
    That would be a great idea for the other boarders that have missed the entry.The main bonus with the entry is to gain access at the food stops
    but most years it nothing to look forward too.If each cyclist brings their grub and its in the jeep,then they are sorted.The refill stops dont look for cards as far as I remember.Good luck to all.I'II be there in a gang of about a dozen from Lexlip/Lucan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Would love to avail of this if it comes about Tiny. Would gladly donate few quid towards fuel. Keep us informed. You are a born leader!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Does he have a towbar or some way of tying a rope on that we can all hold onto for the hills? :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kenmc wrote: »
    Does he have a towbar or some way of tying a rope on that we can all hold onto for the hills? :D

Do what the pros do and hold on to the door while pretending to get mechanical work/medical attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah but there's only 4 doors, and about 1499 of us excluding Fast Roger....
    Couple of hundred metres of rope and we're all sorted.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Is this actually serious?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ah darn! i am realy not ready for this event! i have a triathlon on Saturday and cracked a rib 2 weeks ago which kills when i breathe deeply so ill have had 0 120km+ cycles before it!
    The most I've done is a 55mile cycle to Sally Gap and back to D15. I didn't do anything longer last year and I got through the W200 (prob helped by my triple chainring up front - I'm not embarrassed).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

That triathlons are not a real sport? :D

Don't know that many triathletes that would make such a fuss over a typical saturday cycle. :)

Raam wrote: »

Happily it is Raam, he's not 100% sure he's around yet, but if he is, he's happy to provide support, rope optional :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Raam wrote: »
    Does he realise how many hours he'll be around for? It took me 9 hours last year, excluding stops.
    It's not as if he'll be able to drive beside you and talk to you.
    If he does, fair play to him.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Does he realise how many hours he'll be around for? It took me 9 hours last year, excluding stops.
    It's not as if he'll be able to drive beside you and talk to you.
    If he does, fair play to him.

I did tell him it's be all day! and that he'd be waiting somewhere, then driving somewhere else, then waiting, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I did tell him it's be all day! and that he'd be waiting somewhere, then driving somewhere else, then waiting, etc

I don't think that you are going to need him. It's a long cycle, but it's not THAT long.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

To be honest, I'd be with Raam on this one- it's a nice idea and well done to your friend for offering, but it would be boring as hell and not really necessary!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My wife and her parents are planning to come out to see me. I'll probably just leave some food, water and tubes with them and meet them at one point along the road and stock up if needs be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement