Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas Steakout, fine dining or utter rubbish?

Options
  • 26-05-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Personally speaking, I think it's one of the worst places to eat in the city. The food is horrible and plastic, imo. The surroundings are dark and ugly. The service is poor. The entire place is my idea of everything wrong with a restaurant and my heart sinks a little whenever someone recommends it on these boards.

Still, every restaurant thread, someone, presumably lacking tastebuds recommends it. why? What am I missing?

Is the Texas Steakout 24 votes

Fine Dining
    0% 0 votes
    Utter Rubbish
    100% 24 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Georgie Boy

nah you're just a philistine
    years ago it was a great place to eat, then it became a stagnant hole but since it was re-invented a few years back its one of the best places to eat in the city plus its great value for money

stick to donkey fords and luigis and leave the fine dining to the more ostentatious members of the board thumbsup.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

nah you're just a philistine
    years ago it was a great place to eat, then it became a stagnant hole but since it was re-invented a few years back its one of the best places to eat in the city plus its great value for money

stick to donkey fords and luigis and leave the fine dining to the more ostentatious members of the board thumbsup.gif

Nice try my dim witted friend, but when it comes to fine dining I'll stick to Freddies, Brulees and Moll Darbys. Some deluded types seem to place the Texas in their category, clearly it isn't.

That being said, i'll drop by donkeys for a take away if I'm in the mood. At least they are good at what they do, unlike the Texas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Georgie Boy

dead.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Personally speaking, I think it's one of the worst places to eat in the city. The food is horrible and plastic, imo. The surroundings are dark and ugly. The service is poor. The entire place is my idea of everything wrong with a restaurant and my heart sinks a little whenever someone recommends it on these boards.

Still, every restaurant thread, someone, presumably lacking tastebuds recommends it. why? What am I missing?

I couldn't agree more with you. I never like the food there. I do not recommend this place, never did and never will.

As you said Brulees, Moll Darbys, Freddies are far better dining experiences.

I would also recommend the Market Square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

elmolesto wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more with you. I never like the food there. I do not recommend this place, never did and never will.

As you said Brulees, Moll Darbys, Freddies are far better dining experiences.

I would also recommend the Market Square.

What's funny is it isn't even cheap compared to the above places. Whatever small amount you save you lose in having to endure that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Market Square has to be one of the best the food there is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

There is definitely room and need for a good steak house in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Texas do a great midweek lunch and about 5 or 6 of us would eat there 4-5 times a month. It's a cheap as Supermacs and the food is much better. There's a variety of types; light lunch, full dinner etc which helps.

It's neither fine dining nor utter rubbish, but closer to high quality pub grub as opposed to the crap some places will throw up in front of you like Luigi Malones. I always find the service above average, with the exception of the odd (always non-native English speaking) waiter.

The Market Square is fantastic but in my mind, Brulees is for people who have their heads so far up.....etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

For years it was always the place our family would head to for gatherings or whatever was going on but, more recently, we've been opening our minds a little more to what's out there - Brulees is always solid and provides a good atmosphere. Seems like the menu in "TheTexas" hasn't changed in ages. I wouldn't be as harsh as others when talking about it, but I do take your point - happy eating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

i agree the food used to be better but for a carnivore like myself the meat selection is great.. and love mex food too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

limerick and irelands restaurants are very poor in terms of quality of food, service price etc compared to other countries. there are some exceptions like finnegans in annacotty. i notice alot of places not what they once were. like jasmine palace, milanos, bella italia, etc. the worst is the american one the wild onion! or the yellow lemon international one. dire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

RPGGAMER wrote: »
    limerick and irelands restaurants are very poor in terms of quality of food, service price etc compared to other countries. there are some exceptions like finnegans in annacotty.
    Jaysus...when was the last time you were in Finnegans??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

ninty9er wrote: »
    Jaysus...when was the last time you were in Finnegans??

Second that, stopped in Finnegans earlier in the year. Ordered the beef--- terrible, wont be going back. I'm sure the beef came from a packet as it was cut like ham slices. Carvery anywhere is better than what you would get out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finnegans used to be so much nicer 6 or 7 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

The Steakout is just awful, it serves up pulped veg and mash that would be more suited in a trough. Because you get stacks of it people think it's great, quantity should never ever be mistaken for quality.

To be classed as fine dining they need to improve the quality of their food, their menu choices and the general layout and ambience of the place.

At the moment it is nothing more than pub grub in a resturant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

perhaps you're right. i used to frequent it a lot about 2003 and it was certainly bigger portions at any rate. i only got three slices of ham last time with my cabbage and bacon...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

I voted Utter rubbish but that's probably a tad hard on the place but it certainly isn't a Fine Diner.

Highly over-rated by most going by some of the recommendations I've seen here, it's probably alright for mid-week meal but you certainly wouldn't want to be trying to impress someone or going there for a special night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Went a while back with the missus, chips were only half cooked - sat in the dark smelly confines of the Texas Sewage Pit until they eventually brought us three quarters cooked chips to eat with our steak which was by then sadly reduced to cold left-overs, which didn't improve any bit on its original tastelessness.

- Would refuse an all-you can eat, 100% complimetary, mega super free voucher for [and this is only my personal opinion]this joke of a health-hazard dive.

P.S. My father was there 15+ years ago and had chicken and maggots experience that should have kept me away from the place for life - lesson learnt properly this time though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

+1 Raiser absolute sh1thole - got served raw chicken there once and didn't even get an apology - needless to say I haven't returned since nor do I plan to.

Advertisement