Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost my IP!!

Options
  • 26-05-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi,

Bit of a prob wondering if anyone knows how I can find the IP address of a device on my LAN. The problem is that I think I changed the IP address and possbily the subnet mask by mistake, and I have no idea what ranges I set it to, so it could be any combination. I've used angry IP scan to scan the range on my LAN but not found it, so wondering if anyone could advise how I would go about trying to get the units IP address again. I cant do a factory reset, not an option, so I must log in via the GUI, which I cant cos I dont have the address!!
    Also trid solarwinds, but the prob again, I have to tell it IP address ranges to scan, and as I dont even know what range to start at, I could be days at it.

Thanks,
    Wexfordman

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

wexfordman wrote: »
    Hi,

Bit of a prob wondering if anyone knows how I can find the IP address of a device on my LAN. The problem is that I think I changed the IP address and possbily the subnet mask by mistake, and I have no idea what ranges I set it to, so it could be any combination. I've used angry IP scan to scan the range on my LAN but not found it, so wondering if anyone could advise how I would go about trying to get the units IP address again. I cant do a factory reset, not an option, so I must log in via the GUI, which I cant cos I dont have the address!!
    Also trid solarwinds, but the prob again, I have to tell it IP address ranges to scan, and as I dont even know what range to start at, I could be days at it.

Thanks,
    Wexfordman

What is the device? You could always run Wireshark and watch for it producing broadcasts or ARP requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Hi Spear,

Thanks for the reply. Its an IP PBX, had it up and running and did something stupid. No reset button on it to reset to default IP, but there is an RS232 adaptor for me to connect to it, but never did it this way before, and have to open the unit up if I want to do it, so was hoping of an easier route.

Will wireshark detect subnet mask as well, as this may have changed on the unit also ?

Regards,
    Wexfordman

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Will wireshark detect subnet mask as well, as this may have changed on the unit also ?

Regards,
    Wexfordman

No, not the subnet mask. But if the device produces and broadcasts or lookup attempts the source address will be viewable.

Thanks again Spear,

So just to clarify. If I connect the LAN port of my PC to the PBX, I should be able to capture the source IP address of the PBX. Once I know this, I just set the lan port of my PC to the same IP range (and a default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) I should be able to connect to it again ?

There is activity on the LAN port, I can see the leds poling, so I assume it is trying to transmit something ?

Regards,
    Wexfordman

Thanks again Spear,

So just to clarify. If I connect the LAN port of my PC to the PBX, I should be able to capture the source IP address of the PBX.

You'll need a crossover cable for that approach. Being on the same switch as it would normally be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If you have the IP you can calculate the subnet range

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/ip-subnet/

Thanks Guys,

Will give it a go in the next few days when I am next to the unit, and let you know how I get on.

Regards,
    Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I just set the lan port of my PC to the same IP range (and a default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0)

To clarify, 255.255.255.0 is only the default subnet mask for a particular range of addresses (historically called 'class C' addresses). It'll work for your purposes though.

You might try pinging the universal broadcast address (255.255.255.255) to see if that prompts a response (dependant on whether your OS will let you), in case the device doesn't send out regular broadcasts on its own.

Hi,

Just to let you know, I got the IP adress using wireshark, worked like a charm.

It seems whay happened, is just before I "lost" the ip adress of the unit, I was logged into it using I.E by mistake instead of firefox, which is not 100% compatible, I should have been using firefox, and it seems to have restored and old backup file to the pbx (the Ip it had seet to was from the old config as i discovered with wireshark).

Regards,
    Wexfordman

Advertisement