Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why is using neutral or (freewheeling) bad

Options
  • 26-05-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

I must say i do this quite often, and i regularly hear that its bad and dangerous. But i dont understand why?

Could someone explain what the problem is? and does it have negative effects on the car etc?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Not so much negative effects, but going down a hill the engine acts as a brake and controls the speed of you car

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Off the top of my head:

You do not have control, apart from braking and steering. There's a skill to bringing the engine revs up before you put the car in gear again, which is not a suitable procedure in an emergency.

What happens if the engine cuts out while you are coasting?

It's bad for an automatic gearbox for definite.

I'm sure there will be more knowledgeable pointers from some of the mavens here!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

yea, that is one of the thing i heard, that the breaking capibility of the car is reduced? is this right?

Also, having the car in neutral and having the clutch down, are they different? if you were in gear and had the clutch down would that be the same as having the car in neutral is what im trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

when freewheeling, you don't get the effect of engine braking (the car slowing you down when you take your foot off the accelerator), and you aren't as in control of the car as if you had the car in gear.

fuel savings aren't worth it either, in fact you could be using more fuel.

esel wrote: »
    Off the top of my head:
    There's a skill to bringing the engine revs up before you put the car in gear again, which is not a suitable procedure in an emergency.

!

I should have mentioned that i rev match before going back into the gear after neutral.

• Advertisement

why bother putting it in neutral?

i have alot of use for it when driving as i am a petrol saving freek. mostly its around the city in slow moving traffic, say i needed to move 20 foot foward i would just use the cars power to get maybe 5mph then put it in neutral to freewheel the rest (being on flat or downhill roads of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Most modern engines have a fuel cutoff on engine breaking and are very miserly with the fuel when you only feather the gas.

Idling, on the other hand, is a different proposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    i have alot of use for it when driving as i am a petrol saving freek. mostly its around the city in slow moving traffic, say i needed to move 20 foot foward i would just use the cars power to get maybe 5mph then put it in neutral to freewheel the rest (being on flat or downhill roads of course)

How much has your mpg incresed since you started doing this?

peasant wrote: »
    Most modern engines have a fuel cutoff on engine breaking and are very miserly with the fuel when you only feather the gas.

So idling ( in neutral) could burn more than in gear?

• Advertisement

indeed it could

tuxy wrote: »
    How much has your mpg incresed since you started doing this?

Hey,
    im not fully sure as i didnt take note of my mpg before a few months ago.
    But at the moment i could get 400miles all in and around cork city, and 90% of trips under 5 miles for 45 litres of petrol. 45 litres of petrol is approx 10gallons so i get around 40mpg.
    But my car is only 1000cc so that also contributes to such high mpg. some of my trips i wouldnt ever let my rpm go above 1500 aswell.

indeed it could

interesting. I was unaware of that. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Honda 50 ftw.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

You're not saving fuel. You do know that at zero throttle, with the revs over a certain figure, no fuel is being injected (a figure of 1600 to 1900rpm, depending on car), so by coasting, you're using fuel (idle) while leaving it in gear and above a certain rev, you're using no fuel.

You can feel it kicking in if the revs drop. It's at about 1800rpm in my 2005 Almera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

OP, you need to read up on Hypermiling here:

http://www.cleanmpg.com

It's the art of freewheeling, anticipating traffic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭blackbox

I should have mentioned that i rev match before going back into the gear after neutral.

If an emergency arises that requires you to accelerate to avoid it you will not be able to react as quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

power steering and braking become less effective. As others have mentioned an idle engine uses more fuel. not to mention the fact you effectivly have no control in terms of speed regulation except gravity and the current speed of the car. you're also putting excess wear on brakes compared to lighter braking needed when the car is in gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I have a trip computer on my car, and I use 0.0 litres per 100km's when slowing down in gear with no throttle, and it increases if I clutch in or go to neutral, as the car needs to provide fuel to the engine to keep it from stalling. The momentum does that when in gear. You're saving nothing, you're costing yourself more.
    Holding the clutch in for long periods isn't great on the clutch either.
    If you are going to the lengths of saving a few millilitres of petrol anyway then you have to ask yourself is this journey really necessary? Also may be time to trade down to save a few more bob if times are that hard.

congo_90 wrote: »
    power steering and braking become less effective.

neither the power steering or braking system become less effective when coasting. steering and brakes more likely to be used due to car gaining momentum on hills though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

colm_mcm wrote: »
    neither the power steering or braking system become less effective when coasting. steering and brakes more likely to be used due to car gaining momentum on hills though.

I don't think that's correct. Best practice at Institute of Advanced Motorists is to brake using your gears. (for instance, if you engage a gear and leave the acc pedal alone, the car's speed drops anyway, and faster than if you were coasting)

maoleary wrote: »
    I don't think that's correct. Best practice at Institute of Advanced Motorists is to brake using your gears. (for instance, if you engage a gear and leave the acc pedal alone, the car's speed drops anyway, and faster than if you were coasting)

I'm with you, but congo90 seems to suggest that the steering and brakes systems themselves become less effective, rather than the car being harder to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Opel Vectra for example. If you coast in gear the fuel is cut off. You can see it on the trip computer the instantaneous fuel consumption goes to 999.9 mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

In addition to not actually saving fuel, you are putting extra ware on your brakes when stopping, engine braking is by far better than having to apply the brakes every time you want to come to a stop. In traffic if you gauge the pace of the traffic around you, you should only have to brake lightly.

As for travelling on open roads etc. (OP: I know you only mention city driving), if you were free wheeling along on the open road you are NOT in proper control of the car.

One of my brothers was doing a job where he was required to have a driver with him, the company used forigne lads, and one of them kept free wheeling around corners on open road, after the third near accident in one day, my brother had enough and asked your man what he was at, (got the usual reply, I no understand, english not good), I told him to take it up with the H&S rep in the company as it was a real risk to his life being in a car with this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

*Kol* wrote: »
    Opel Vectra for example. If you coast in gear the fuel is cut off. You can see it on the trip computer the instantaneous fuel consumption goes to 999.9 mpg.

How do you coast in gear? If you are in gear you would not be coasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Power steering and brakes are indeed less effective with the engine idling. When hydraulic power steering is installed, it is quite easy to stall an idling engine by turning the steering wheel suddenly, as may be required to avoid a collision. This is due to the sudden load placed on the engine by the power steering pump. The vast majority of modern cars are nearly impossible to steer without the benefit of power steering - just try to steer a car around a corner when it is being pushed if you don't believe this.

On the other hand, with the engine in gear, the combined inertia of the moving car and rotating engine will prevent the engine stalling until the speed over the road is so low that the engine cannot continue to run.

The effectiveness of the cars brakes are greatly boosted by vacuum servo assist. On petrol cars, the vacuum comes from the inlet manifold, and is highest when the engine is being driven at reasonable rpm by the road wheels with the throttle closed. On diesels, the vacuum assist comes from an engine driven pump, again the higher the engine speed the more vacuum is available for braking assistance.

Coasting is never a good idea.

Thanks for the informative replys everyone.
    Always helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

WHITE_P wrote: »
    you are putting extra ware on your brakes when stopping, engine braking is by far better
    You are putting extra wear on your engine by using it for braking, and brake pads are cheaper to replace.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    You are putting extra wear on your engine by using it for braking, and brake pads are cheaper to replace.

Not exactly true. After a long, hot idling period in heavy traffic there's nothing like a good downhill stretch (if you can get it) with a bit of engine breaking to cool things down again.

Advertisement