Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunset - 26th May 2008

• 26-05-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

2525021463_8041386cff.jpg

2525023333_059d3041bc.jpg

2525018157_2e8c2f4a60.jpg

2525841830_93b484f41c.jpg

Pictures don't do it justice, hopefully someone else got some better ones :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

From start to finish

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

Again pics dont really do it any justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was a latecomer and didn't know what was going on outside until i was texted about it!
    Anyway here's some i snapped in order of it happening.(excuse the over orangy bit in some foto's, mainly the first set, again pics don't do it justice either! :))

DSCN0416_.jpg

DSCN0417_.jpg

DSCN0418_.jpg

DSCN0420_.jpg

DSCN0421_.jpg

DSCN0422_.jpg

DSCN0424_.jpg

DSCN0430_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

DSCN0431_.jpg

DSCN0433_.jpg

DSCN0436_.jpg

DSCN0439_.jpg

At this point, i ran out up the road to do the snapping as it was changing very fast..

DSCN0446_.jpg

DSCN0447_.jpg

DSCN0449_.jpg

DSCN0450_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭highdef

Some lovely shots there alright!!! :)
    I've a few pics to upload when I get a chance. I also have some video of it to edit down. The advantage I had was that I knew there was going to be a good sunset when I looked out the window and saw the sunset in the distance in the northwest and then saw the very ominous clouds approach from the east. So I was out recording just as the first tinges of yellow appeared to the east. It's all in HD so it should look good when I get round to making some sort of video from it. The way things have been with the weather over the past few months, it seems to be a case that a red sky at night means rain on the way and a red sky in the morning means a lovely day ahead!!!

Here's some video of the sunset on Monday night. Apologies for the bad quality
    http://www.vimeo.com/1081796

• Advertisement

Why did we have such a sunset, never seen one quite like it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

highdef wrote: »
    Here's some video of the sunset on Monday night. Apologies for the bad quality
    http://www.vimeo.com/1081796

Absolutely brilliant piece of work HD with the music too.
    Create's a feel good factor just watchin and listening to that.:)

Thanks a million for the comments Snowbie. Quality is not too good on the net. looks fantastic in HD on a huge telly though!!! Camera work is not great either as I didn't use a tripod and the wind was picking up as time went on. And sure now you know what I mean whenever I mention on the forum that i am close to the airport!!!

Hellboy99, as far as I could tell, the stunning sunset was caused by the setting sun in the northwest passing through haze which creates the lovely yellows and reds. however, in this case there was a (cold???) front approaching from the unusual direction of the east. The sunlight then lit up the underside of the clouds and hey presto, an amazing sunset. It's more common to see a fantastic sunrise followed by rain as our weather normally comes from the west but as the weather has been a bit unusual of late, the weather system approached from the east instead, making this spectacular sunset possible. Note that this sunset would have only been seen in a few parts of the country. At the point of sunset, the sky needed to be clear to the northwest and the front had to be just starting to pass overhead from the east.....quite a rare occurence indeed.

Anyone care to correct me or elaborate?

Thanks HD :) , love the video.

Great pictures everyone !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just saw this post, wow is all I can say!
    It was just dull and overcast here so missed it.

I must say highdef thats a brilliant video, really captures the beauty and awe of it all :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

highdef wrote: »
    Hellboy99, as far as I could tell, the stunning sunset was caused by the setting sun in the northwest passing through haze which creates the lovely yellows and reds. however, in this case there was a (cold???) front approaching from the unusual direction of the east. The sunlight then lit up the underside of the clouds and hey presto, an amazing sunset. It's more common to see a fantastic sunrise followed by rain as our weather normally comes from the west but as the weather has been a bit unusual of late, the weather system approached from the east instead, making this spectacular sunset possible. Note that this sunset would have only been seen in a few parts of the country. At the point of sunset, the sky needed to be clear to the northwest and the front had to be just starting to pass overhead from the east.....quite a rare occurence indeed.

Anyone care to correct me or elaborate?

That's it in a nutshell. The weather has been coming out of the east for about four weeks now with weird hazes, brumes, sea fogs and airplanes going the 'wrong' way. There have been a number of particularly good sunsets, but Monday's front pushing in as you described was just about the most perfect timing we're going to get. The cold rain started about 10/15 mins after sunset in Howth. Unfortunately, I wasn't at home and didn't have the camera as we've a clear view to the airport and all the way up the coast. The weather is still coming out of the east and might stay that way for another week or more so more opportunities may present themselves.

Smashing video!

Advertisement