Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing hospital...advise needed!

Options
  • 26-05-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi guys,

We are expecting a baby and i am looking for some advise. My wife is in her 15th week now. We have booked in national maternity hospital. When we went there for our first visit in second week of may we were absolutely shocked by the negligent treatment by the staff of national maternity and now we are looking to go to the coombe.

I all the want to know is if we can go to coombe or not, if we can is there any special procedure which we will have to follow.

Any advice or help in this regard is very appreciated.

Regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sorry to piggy back guys but I'm in the same situation.

I booked into the Coombe and now want to change to the Rotunda because I found out the Coombe will not send an ambulance for me if I need one.

Can I do this? I'll be going public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you are going to do this you need to do it ASAP as the hospital will have sent forums in to the dept of health.

Firstly get the hospital you are switching to, to agree to have you and then see about getting your files to take with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

OP - I don't know what the staff in Holles Street did that you thought was negligent, but my wife and I found them to be very good during both of the births of our daughters. In particular under the conditions they have to work, an overcrowded, very out of date hospital.

I remember thinking at the time my wife was pregnant with our first that some staff were not as sensitive to our concerns/queries etc, it was only later it occured to me that although we were entering the great unknown they deal with this all day every day (around 25 babies a day) and what might not be routine to us it is just that to them and they just don't have the time.

From friends who have had babies in the Coombe, I don't know if it is any better than the NMH. Mount Carmel is supposed to be nice (albeit very expensive) and doesn't suffer the same crowding issues.

If it was something else, then dismiss my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Our recent experience in the Coombe was not a happy one. When/if (ask the wife!) this happens again, we would be inclined to go elsewhere, problem is that all public/semi-private maternity hospitals in Dublin are at bursting point, and going fully private costs a fortune.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

id say just go back to GP, get them to write a referral note for ya for the hospital you want to go to and once accepted by them, then let the other hospital know you wont be attending. Dont tell them that though till youre admitted to the new hospital :) From personal experience, i went to ROtunda Public and although its a bit like a cattle market for the appointments, for the actual birth they were great and that would be the hospital ill be goin back to if we decide to have another sprog.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If you are going to do this you need to do it ASAP as the hospital will have sent forums in to the dept of health.

Firstly get the hospital you are switching to, to agree to have you and then see about getting your files to take with you.

So if I already have a booking appointment with the Rotunda, I'm ok to head there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The Coombe all the way for me any way! I Would never go back to Hollo's st after what happened my mum there with my younger sister ! thought the staff of the Coombe were super though like most of the other hospitals they are understaffed(Crumlin as prime example)! I had 3 C Sections there and esp with the first child which was kind of difficult labour which ended up in a emergency c section i had no shortage of doctors assisting me !

Sorry to piggy back guys but I'm in the same situation.

I booked into the Coombe and now want to change to the Rotunda because I found out the Coombe will not send an ambulance for me if I need one.

Can I do this? I'll be going public.

Can you not just phone 999 and ask for one ! thats what i had to do on one of mine!

gcgirl wrote: »
    Can you not just phone 999 and ask for one ! thats what i had to do on one of mine!

Yeah you can just call and ask for one but they won't go "all the way" from Santry to the South City with me, tis a bit long to be fair.

Yeah you can just call and ask for one but they won't go "all the way" from Santry to the South City with me, tis a bit long to be fair.

The guys had to bring me from Wicklow Town to the Coombe ! I had drove up that morning to the Coombe for routein visit but had High blood pressure and protein in urine and also had Brat 1 with me( as she through a compleat hissy and would not stay with my mum that morning prob what gave me high blood pressure in 1st place)I drove back to Wicklow having told the Doctor in the Coombe i would be back in an Hour and i was back within the hour !

• Advertisement

gcgirl wrote: »
    The guys had to bring me from Wicklow Town to the Coombe ! I had drove up that morning to the Coombe for routein visit but had High blood pressure and protein in urine and also had Brat 1 with me( as she through a compleat hissy and would not stay with my mum that morning prob what gave me high blood pressure in 1st place)I drove back to Wicklow having told the Doctor in the Coombe i would be back in an Hour and i was back within the hour !

Lol... I was told they wouldn't send an ambulance over. But never mind! I've got my appt in the rotunda :).

Advertisement