Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to dissuade the chuggers?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

I dunno if these folks pop up anywhere outside of Dublin but they seem to be out on force on the streets recently. Is it down to the summer season?

About a week or two ago a woman approached me on a busy street, introducing herself and asking for my name. Needless to say I was chuffed, but her overbearing smile and rapport-pushing manner quickly set off the trigger in my head that something was up. She promptly went to get a pad and paper out of her bag and, lo and behold, her jacket revealed the Barnardos logo.

I just said, "oh, your one of those guys". :p

That was one rare instance where they actually had me trapped, but I still get this "salesman" approach everytime I'm out in the town. And all the power to these fundraisers but I'm just not interested.

So what are your favourite and humourous ways of avoiding the chuggers' grasp? Mine is to throw on the 'ol headphones and blast up the volume, maybe even with a little bop of the head... though even that has ceased to work recently.
    Tagged:

Comments

No thank you works wonders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I always say ,no one is getting my bank details on the street ,especially someone who will probably get mugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Learn an entire foreign language and pretend you speak no English.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Moonbaby wrote: »
    No thank you works wonders.

Saying thank you shows weakness, which a good chugger will ponce on. Go with "No. AND DIE!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I stop smile and say "oh its charity your selling(emphasis here) No i already have that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Back of the hand motion really fast makes them flinch and get scared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I find that staring straight ahead and acting like they are not there is the most effective method. Any kind of interaction and they are impossible to get rid.

If its one of those sponsor a 5-year-old in Africa for €10 a month thingys, you could go all Ricky Gervais on it...

"What if he lives til he's 18???"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You should bring a clipboard out with you and make up a survey on how annoying people who do surveys are. ****!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just say to them

You: "Before you start can I ask you a quick question?"
    Them: "Yeah, go ahead."
    You: "How would your family cope if something was to happen to you? I know it's not something a lot of people like to think about but you really do need to prepare for the unexpected."

Then just keep trying to sell them life insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Earphones and ipod up loud. On sunny days, my ray bans prevent them from trying to make eye contact.

I work in the city centre and its really really annoying. Last Thursday i was walking from down grafton st. There was teenagers doing some collecting for some heart foundation/charity. One of them tried to stick the collection box in my face while i walked by. The idiot was lucky I stopped my instinct reaction to swing my arm out at something thats coming at my face.

I turned onto the street were tower records is. Someone from concern approached me. Walked pass saying no thanks. two metres and another guy from concern tries to corner me. From the top of Grafton st to Arnotts on Henry st i was approached by about 10 different people looking for my money/dd details for some charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I find that staring straight ahead and acting like they are not there is the most effective method. Any kind of interaction and they are impossible to get rid.
    Yep, it's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Chugger: Can you spare a minute for Concern?
    Me: Did you say Trocaire?
    Chugger: No...
    Me: Then no.

Not particulary nice of me, but that was about the 5th time I was stopped on the one stretch of street.

I've no problem giving out change for groups collecting for cancer or heart foundations as they are usually just volunteers selling badges, but the rudness of the chuggers is extremely overbearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

lol @ AC

I told one lot that I was moving country (which I was at the time) and they were like 'oh ok..well.. thanks anyway'.
    I used it again today :D but I ain't moving!!! lol
    (that's what they get for coming to my door)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

"Can you spare a minute for cancer research?"

"Alright, but I doubt we'll get much done in a minute."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The Look.

That is all children. You are young. You will learn.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Though i hate the ones who put out their hand to shake yours.

Seasoned professionals them ones. They've seen it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

"Hi, can I have a quick word?"

"Velocity".

And walk on...

By the time the confused chugger cops on you're long gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

So what are your favourite and humourous ways of avoiding the chuggers' grasp? Mine is to throw on the 'ol headphones and blast up the volume, maybe even with a little bop of the head... though even that has ceased to work recently.

I've given them the 'stop fucking harassing people' and 'I said no, I mean fucking no' line. You get sick of repeating yourself. What I'd like to do is-

Keep a convincing replica inside my jacket pocket. Point to it and hiss:

"Fockk offfff" then walk off.

Id never get sick of that look.

I find that saying something like "I support child labour" or " I feel that apartheid is the way forward for most nations" or "George Bush sure is a fine leader of the free world" works. They generally never ask for anyhting ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

You don't have to dissuade them. Just tell them no and walk. If they try get hold of you push them.

If they start talking to you why do some people find it hard to get away from them? They're interupting your daily business not the other way around.

The most annoying one's for me are those who choose the spot beside some girl forced to beg on the street hassling me over helping people thousands of miles away. Seriously! Priorities!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If the blank stare fails, my backup is:

Chug: Hey handsome dude, can I have a few minutes of your time?

Stevec: Sure - I charge €400 per hour though.

Chug: Eh?

Stevec: You can stop any time you want, you owe me €1.24 so far.

Chug: Wha?

/repeat till chug gives up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I find killing them to be quite an effective deterrent. The guards are perfectly understanding of me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

These guys annoy me so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

pull out a piece of paper write his/her name on it and tell them they are on your enimeis list.

Or if after talking to them for a while before you find out they are chuggers, you can say 'me speak no english' when you realise what they are

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

From some book I read a while ago (forget the name of it)

A farmer from the country was up in Dublin, a chugger come up to him with a dub accent asking "Do ye want to buy a lion (line)". The farmer asks what and the chugger repeats himself. After which the farmer says "What would I want a Lion for it would eat all me sheep" then he walks off.
    Would love to see the reaction from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Usually pretty good at avoiding them but if I see one bearing down on me I'll grab out the phone and start having a fake conversation, If they catch me by surprise I'll let them introduce themselves and when they say what charity they are representing I say Ive just donated to the the other guy up around the corner (they usually travel in packs like hyenas).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrEvrV4H7e0&feature=related

This method has yet to fail for me!

/Bare in mind.....Accuracy is an important factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

How about having balls people? Saying 'no' and letting them know you don't appreciate their methods. Just an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Kernel wrote: »
    How about having balls people? Saying 'no' and letting them know you don't appreciate their methods. Just an idea.

If my first suggested method doesn't work (always does)....then i'll say no.

On a more serious note, I normally whip out the phone and talk to Fizman II for a bit.

Advertisement