Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to dissuade the chuggers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

"I'm racist, fukk them."

Hasn't failed yet

I'd like to point out I'm not actually racist, but find this response usually shocks them enough for them to stall and gives you time to walk past them and get away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Sneeze on their face

Works for me ... and if you can't sneeze pretend to sneeze and spit on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I don't stop, just walk past and say "not interested" without looking at them. It's exremely rude but some of them are so annoying I honestly don't care.
    Also, it never hurts to wear earphones and listen to your mp3 player walking down the street. Chuggers won't stop you if you're listening to music (unless they're very naive and think they'll actually impress you by doing this)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Fizman wrote: »
    If my first suggested method doesn't work (always does)....then i'll say no.

On a more serious note, I normally whip out the phone and talk to Fizman II for a bit.

Fair play. It's just, how many threads are started about chuggers on boards, when all that is needed is for people to have the nerve to tell them where to go. I don't even mean being rude, but just 'not interested mate, and I hate your tactics to try to shame people into giving money so you can earn money'. Just seems like people are more concerned with social niceties than expressing their annoyance to the chuggers. Easier to complain on the net I suppose.

Reminds me of the Derren Brown book where he meets Derek Acorah and basically wants to call him a 'psychic' fraud but due to etiquette does not. Certain elements of our society today take advantage of our social niceties - including scumbag tracksuit wearing degenerates who in previous generations would be mocked as the fools they are. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I don't stop, just walk past and say "not interested" without looking at them. It's exremely rude but some of them are so annoying I honestly don't care.
    Also, it never hurts to wear earphones and listen to your mp3 player walking down the street. Chuggers won't stop you if you're listening to music (unless they're very naive and think they'll actually impress you by doing this)

You shouldn't have to wear earphones to walk down your street without fear of being accosted though. **** them. Seriously! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

tell them no, if that doesn't work I've got 6 months to live may work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

"For tax reasons I no longer hold an Irish bank account".
    Bang, and the dirt is gone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

I often just say "I already give money to charity" and if they push it after that I just say no and walk away

The way they come up to you all friendly and the girls kinda flirt as well worked to my advantage once, a really hot canadian girl came up being all flirty, I managed to get her number and hooked up with her a few times, her and her fellow charity workers used to have crazy parties at the weekends in Carlow...good times!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I got this in Wellington last year - "Excuse me sir do you care about the environment?" - Me: "NO!" and walked on. I don't think you're supposed to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

My usual tactic is avoidance. See them early and give them a wide birth. I haven't seen any in the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

I always have headphones on and I've been stopped by a few, one girl reached for my headphones to take them off, I advised her what personal space was and stayed walking

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Chugger - "Hi do you have a minute for Concern"
    Me - "Ah it's cool, I work for Trocaire"

End of story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Usually pretty good at avoiding them but if I see one bearing down on me I'll grab out the phone and start having a fake conversation, If they catch me by surprise I'll let them introduce themselves and when they say what charity they are representing I say Ive just donated to the the other guy up around the corner (they usually travel in packs like hyenas).

You consider yourself good in these situations? By making excuses?:confused:
    Are you afraid you'll upset them by just saying no?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, I just don't understand what you are doing here. It seems to be you have elaborate plans just to avoid telling them you are not interested.
    Just tell the truth, they don't care. Or just put your head down and walk on, seriously no need for messing with your mobile :rolleyes:
    Kernel wrote: »
    How about having balls people? Saying 'no' and letting them know you don't appreciate their methods. Just an idea.

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

micmclo wrote: »
    You consider yourself good in these situations? By making excuses?:confused:
    Are you afraid you'll upset them by just saying no?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, I just don't understand what you are doing here. It seems to be you have elaborate plans just to avoid telling them you are not interested.
    Just tell the truth, they don't care. Or just put your head down and walk on, seriously no need for messing with your mobile :rolleyes:

QFT

Yeah but the problem is some don't take no for an answer, its better and quicker to just ignore them. I told one nicely no a few years back and she followed me half way down Henry street before I had to very aggressively tell her to feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I ask them if they are paid for their work here today, in a nice voice.
    And walk off. They all get paid, and the time it takes for that to sink in, and the time it takes them to "ehmmm, welll..." is more than enough to escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I work in Dublin, so its gotten to the stage where i am telling them to f-off. Staring straight through them works and if they block your path, just keep walking straight at them.

Best thing I saw with a chugger was on Henry Street, a female chugger stopped a pretty normal looking guy and he started talking away to her, when all of a sudden he just dropped his trousers, she kept on talking to him and she only copped on when half the street were laughing, don't know how he kept a straight face...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I donate €10 a month to Concern through a DD, so whenever someone stops me I always say "sorry buddy, concern got to me first!"

Sometimes depending on who it is I get the reply "well we help different people to them!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

I always start talking As Gaeilge, as in;
    "Ta brón orm, níl aon airgead agam.. ta mé ag frestal colaiste agus taim bocht!"

In Cork anyway, lots of them seem to be English, and the ones that aren't get completely flustered and leave me alone:p

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

zAbbo wrote: »
    Chugger: Can you spare a minute for Concern?
    Me: Did you say Trocaire?
    Chugger: No...
    Me: Then no.

I like to do something similar.

Chugger: Can you spare a minute for Concern.
    Me: Did you say Trocaire?
    Chugger: No, Concern.
    Me: Me neither.

It takes them a while to figure out what just happened and I'm well down the street. Otherwise a 'Get the Fuk out of my way' if I am in a bad mood works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Just say in a scared-ish voice "im not allowed to talk to strangers" and then sprint* away.

*Or Walk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't understand why people are afraid of being rude to them. Telling them to "get fukked" doesn't mean you're going to be hit by lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are afraid of being rude to them. Telling them to "get fukked" doesn't mean you're going to be hit by lightning.

I can account for this being true.... I generally tell them to f*ck off if they keep askin me to stop.... I've always wanted to knock the clip board outta their hands, but that might lead to an assault charge, so that one is stayin in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Hanly Centre girls are the worst.

They sell €3 scratchcards, but the problem is they only hire really hot girls.

Countless blokes are trapped by the hottie stopping them on the street!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

Generally I just ignore them, no eye contact or even acknowledging their existance makes it hard to start up a conversation.

However, I always felt like doing what some bloke on Grafton Street did in my presence one day. He flipped totally, the chugger jumped in his way and said "Hi, do you have... " then the dude flipped out, stopped and shouted "No, No, No, No, No...." into the guys face and snapped the notice board out of his hands and threw it into the air. He then went on a massive rant about how dare this chugger stop him in his stride. Then he rambled off still shouting "No, No, No...", was all very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

And the worst thing is, most people will walk away and scratch it, if you win and try to go back, they are more than likely gone.... has happened me twice...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

I think chuggers are the spawn of Satan... they get paid dont they? They all act like they're in a cult too :( They freak me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Just carry a katana around with you!

Chugger: Hi! Do you have a minute for Concern?
    Prepared individual: <Half unsheaths katana>
    Chugger: ...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mr president

damn right man....they are all savage. and they just walk along beside you talking for ages before they whip out the card. its sickining and has had a long lasting effect......i know scream 'fuk off bittch' to every good looking girl that says hello to me.........my girlfriend is really getting sick of it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Rape them.
    Man or woman, brutally rape them.
    That will learn em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

"When did the starving black orphans ever give ME free food?"

Then walk away with a "I told them so" attitude.

Advertisement