Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to dissuade the chuggers?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Say "I have a direct debit with you lot"..it works ALL the time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gurf33

Easiest option is ' I signed up with you boys last week.' never fails

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

gurf33 wrote: »
    Easiest option is ' I signed up with you boys last week.' never fails

Not as entertaining as shouting at them tho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

I usually do a couple of different things.....If its those stupid scratch card kids...as they approach me i ask them do they want buy a scratch card in support of whatever pisshead/junkie rehabilitation center is on the books that day.

The concern lads are slightly trickier to avoid:
    Chugger: "Sorry you wouldn't have a moment to talk about concern?"
    Me: "I dont even have time to apply anti-inflammatory solution to my scrotum today i'm so dos damn busy, so no i dont have a moment!!"

Then you waddle away like you have a medicine ball held between your knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

JangoFett wrote: »
    The way they come up to you all friendly and the girls kinda flirt as well worked to my advantage once, a really hot canadian girl came up being all flirty, I managed to get her number and hooked up with her a few times, her and her fellow charity workers used to have crazy parties at the weekends in Carlow...good times!

You sure she was a chugger ;)
    Some of the suggestions here are great btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I used to pass the same guy everyday on my way from college to work and everyday he'd try and stop me. Horrible hippy looking dude.

Anyway one day I got so pissed off that i screamed "stop trying to touch me" and he stayed away from me from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

"No, sorry" whilst walking has always worked for me.

Except once. A very ignorant dude shouted "why?" as I continued into a shop, I shouted back I didn't want to give my bank details and proceeded into the shop. 2 mins later I'd to walk past him again and the exact same thing happened, with him shouting "why?"
    I kinda flipped a little and stopped and walked back to him. He knew what was coming though. I think he was also having a bad day. Suffice to say I told him what I taught of his ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I've been approached nearly every day by the same person on the way in to work. Eventually I just shouted 'stop harassing me!' as loudly as I could and followed it up with a threat to call the police. He stopped only for a couple of days...must have one of those faces I guess..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

Kernel wrote: »
    How about having balls people? Saying 'no' and letting them know you don't appreciate their methods. Just an idea.

Agreed, thats all I do and have never had a problem. Most of the time I just ignore them and keep walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The Hanly Centre girls are the worst.

They sell €3 scratchcards, but the problem is they only hire really hot girls.

Countless blokes are trapped by the hottie stopping them on the street!

I worked for them for the summer after my leaving down in Cork. I used to make up to 100 pounds a day for a few hours work,twas great for the money. We were told to target young men particulaly 'lonely and sad ' looking men. It was soul destroying work though and I seriously doubt that the Hanly centre really exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Ha I got nabbed by the hanley centre girls when I was younger and more naive. That would never happen now though I just be like wateva...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mr president

panda100 wrote: »
    I worked for them for the summer after my leaving down in Cork. I used to make up to 100 pounds a day for a few hours work,twas great for the money. We were told to target young men particulaly 'lonely and sad ' looking men. It was soul destroying work though and I seriously doubt that the Hanly centre really exists.

THE RECRUITMENT DRIVE! CALLING ALL HOTTIES:D

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=995476461

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

orla wrote: »
    I used to pass the same guy everyday on my way from college to work and everyday he'd try and stop me. Horrible hippy looking dude.

Anyway one day I got so pissed off that i screamed "stop trying to touch me" and he stayed away from me from then on.

The really bouncy hippy ****ers are even worse than the regular chuggers. 'Hey man how's it going, how you doing today, you got a minute for Concern??!?!?!?!!' *arms wave spastically in all directions*

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

How to deal with the hanley centre girls...
    " I woulda bought a scratch card if one of the good looking young ones had ask, sorry!"
    "With a face like that you couldn't even sell gates let alone scratch cards, get out of it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

briantwin wrote: »
    How to deal with the hanley centre girls...
    " I woulda bought a scratch card if one of the good looking young ones had ask, sorry!"
    "With a face like that you couldn't even sell gates let alone scratch cards, get out of it!"

It doesn't work that way.

They're like sirens.

If you look at them, you're under their spell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Got confronted today, "Hey dude" he said to me. I sh*t you not. Who the hell does he think he is. My name is not dude. It's Lord Everly-Masterson of Emley Village Manor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I usually hit them with whatever I have at hand at the time, this usually causes enough surprise that I can then deliver a right hook. When they're down, I jump on top of them and continually beat their face until it's nothing more than a thick soup. I then proceed to have sex with the twitching body maybe tearing chunks of their flesh off with my teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I find that staring straight ahead and acting like they are not there is the most effective method. Any kind of interaction and they are impossible to get rid.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, it's what I do.
    I find killing them to be quite an effective deterrent. The guards are perfectly understanding of me too.
    Lies! =P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Carry a rocket launcher with you at all times.

You may want to pack hand grenades too. Could also do with a shotgun and a fire axe for close encounters.

Maybe a flamethrower...Ah hell, bring everything. Also, drive around in a tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Got approached 3 times today and walked past a few more

• Advertisement

An emphatic no does it for me. My uncle lives in America and theyre about 10 years ahead of us in terms of their tolerance for this (ie they dont tolerate it at all), I remember a good few years back we were in town and this over bearing friendly girll came up to him offerin him something or other and he turned around without batting an eyelid and said "No, and Id appreciate u leave me alone right now"...needless to say, her face was classic. Nowadays u get Irish people doing that but not back then, we were still too nice, hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

And what's really annoying is the guys who put on a wacky expression and move towards you in a wacky manner, then start speaking in a wacky voice.

And what's really annoying is the guys who put on a wacky expression and move towards you in a wacky manner, then start speaking in a wacky voice.

I know. Thats wack:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I think chuggers are the spawn of Satan... they get paid dont they?
    There's good money involved in being a chugger. My friend works for a well-known charity and he gets E13 an hour (or so he says) to harass people (in fairness though he genuinely does care about the actual charity)
    I'm always suspicious of giving to chuggers because you never know how much of your money actually goes to the charity.
    But I still mainly don't give to them because they're annoying little shites! :D

BTW are there any chuggers on boards reading this thread? If so, they aren't too bothered about defending themselves...

There's good money involved in being a chugger. My friend works for a well-known charity and he gets E13 an hour (or so he says) to harass people (in fairness though he genuinely does care about the actual charity)
    I'm always suspicious of giving to chuggers because you never know how much of your money actually goes to the charity.
    But I still mainly don't give to them because they're annoying little shites! :D

BTW are there any chuggers on boards reading this thread? If so, they aren't too bothered about defending themselves...

Hmmm getting paid for "charity" work....bit of a paradox isn't it?

I used that on one lad before, he started chastising me, very condescendingly I may add, about how I dont care about people etc because I was running to get back to my desk on time so I wouldnt get a warning about punctuality again, so I told him "If u really care about the charity then forego your commission ya fuppin pwick!!" He left me alone and the lad nearest me said "nice one"....they cross the line when the lecturing starts or when they won't accept no for an answer. Its borderline harrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I used that on one lad before, he started chastising me, very condescendingly I may add, about how I dont care about people etc because I was running to get back to my desk on time so I wouldnt get a warning about punctuality again
    What a wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I dunno if these folks pop up anywhere outside of Dublin

:confused:

They're in Naas every couple of weeks, sometimes more frequently.

Various methods of dealing with them - some I've used

- Say 'I refuse to be bullied and harassed by you'
    - Cover your face as you walk past
    - Hand them page(s) of previous anti-chugger threads. Usually keep a few on me.
    - Walk straight towards them with a menacing stare
    - Run towards them and back off at the last minute
    - Throw a punch but don't connect
    - Cross the street and shout at them 'Look! I'm crossing the street to avoid you'

What a wanker.

I think he said....

"You've no soul, the people of Africa/Timbuktu (or whoever he was trying to get money for) dont have to worry about being late"

That did it for me. Yea and Mother Theresa didnt seek commission....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i gave one a fake name and fake account details once, but later on i did feel guilty thinking about some eejit trying to process it. now i just totally ignore them

• Advertisement

When I moved back home from Galway I thought I'd seen the end of them, but lately they've been appearing all around town. There's usually 8 of them on the one street and each and everyone of them will try and stop me.

Having gotten sick of their constantly need to block my path, to their following me I decided to stop and talk to everyone of them. Each week I have a different theme. For example, one week I'll sign up with each of them using the names of famous serial killers.

Advertisement