Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to dissuade the chuggers?

Options

Comments

When I moved back home from Galway I thought I'd seen the end of them, but lately they've been appearing all around town. There's usually 8 of them on the one street and each and everyone of them will try and stop me.

Having gotten sick of their constantly need to block my path, to their following me I decided to stop and talk to everyone of them. Each week I have a different theme. For example, one week I'll sign up with each of them using the names of famous serial killers.

Seems like an awful waste of time though.

Seems like an awful waste of time though.

But it is immensely fun watching their little faces light up as they think that they've got another poor sap to sign up. I'd like to see the look on their face as the slowly dawning realisation of what occurred sets in.

But it is immensely fun watching their little faces light up as they think that they've got another poor sap to sign up. I'd like to see the look on their face as the slowly dawning realisation of what occurred sets in.

I like the look on their face when I tell them to pi.sss off! i thrive off their disgust!

I like the look on their face when I tell them to pi.sss off! i thrive off their disgust!

The best thing to do is inform them that you're aware of just how much they make an hour. I had one guy who told me that in his past job on a building site he made 25 euro an hour and took a massive pay cut in order to make the world a better place. The guy was a complete waste of oxygen who went on to tell me that I should be ashamed of the fact that I had just bought a number of DVDs and a PS3 game. I asked him was he aware that the runners he wore cost over a 120 euro and that if he really cared about the world he would have got a cheap pair of sandals and gave the rest of the money to help the less fortunate.

He started screaming and shouting at me as I walked away laughing my ass off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Just go into a fit of coughing half way through their spiel, and then say

"Sorry about that, the auld 'SARS' has me destroyed"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

just say you have the runs and rush off, great way to get out of any situation noooo questions asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I had a chugger sit in front of me looking for a loan a few weeks ago. It was funny when she was trying to explain what she did for a living. I was that close to saying "So you're a.... Chugger?"

Generally I just ignore them and / or give them the look. That being said I'd like to give some of the female chuggers a hug and save them from a life of slavery :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Ask them how much they're getting paid to do this, then when they answer with whatever figure, start hounding them on volunteer organisations paying people to harass you on the street. Then ask them what their collections to wage ratio is.

I tried this with those people from that drug centre who sell scratch cards on Henry St....they got really annoyed...but walked away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

the old rain man impersonation has been doin wonders for me lately

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I had a major chat with one before, used to be in Eyre Square in Galway. I walked past him every day, and he always tried it, and eventually I think he copped on and stopped. So one day I started talking to him. He told me he cared about the charity but was only doing it to raise money to marry his girlfriend. He was saying how it was soul-breaking at times, especially in Galway weather (he was from... somewhere warm, I forget now), but he kept at it, it made him feel like he was doing something good.

F**king hippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

a simple no thanks will suffice normally from me.

If it GOAL, a simple fcuk off from me is given (well probably not that harsh but u get my drift)

John O Shea, will never be forgiven by for his ignorant anti american comments about America and the tragedy after hurricane Katrina
    I heard him say that the ppl should not be given aid because the american government are rich and spend their money on weapons...

eh.. so are most african governments rich,,, spending their money on themselves while their ppl starve...

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Proxy wrote: »
    I had a major chat with one before, used to be in Eyre Square in Galway. I walked past him every day, and he always tried it, and eventually I think he copped on and stopped. So one day I started talking to him. He told me he cared about the charity but was only doing it to raise money to marry his girlfriend. He was saying how it was soul-breaking at times, especially in Galway weather (he was from... somewhere warm, I forget now), but he kept at it, it made him feel like he was doing something good.

F**king hippy.

Was that the dude with the dreads collecting for the homeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are afraid of being rude to them.
    Indeed, thats why I always puck them in the plums before rolling them over for a kerb kicking.
    The Hanly Centre girls are the worst.

They sell €3 scratchcards, but the problem is they only hire really hot girls.
    But look in their eyes and see the vacant emptiness - theres nothing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

snyper wrote: »
    If it GOAL, a simple fcuk off from me is given (well probably not that harsh but u get my drift)

John O Shea, will never be forgiven by for his ignorant anti american comments about America and the tragedy after hurricane Katrina
    I heard him say that the ppl should not be given aid because the american government are rich and spend their money on weapons...

eh.. so are most african governments rich,,, spending their money on themselves while their ppl starve...
    John O'Shea was right - the American government shouldn't have been given aid for the Katrina victims because the American government should be looking after them itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I speak Gaeilge to them. Or sometimes Espanol which raises eyebrows because i don't put on the usual accent i do when speaking it. Just do it in my regular Dub accent.

One of the girls before spoke Irish and we had a good aul chat for a while. Needless to say she still didn't get any money off me. I hate that hanley center crowd.

John O'Shea was right - the American government shouldn't have been given aid for the Katrina victims because the American government should be looking after them itself.

And what about all the African and asian countries?

All the leaders driving around in Roll Royces and the ppl starve?

Its Anti american bigotry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

a simple no thanks will suffice normally from me.
    Thats all it needs people......all it needs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I laugh and keep walking.

And what about all the African and asian countries?

All the leaders driving around in Roll Royces and the ppl starve?

Its Anti american bigotry
    No it isn't. It's because America's a first world country, and one of the richest in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

With an annual military budget of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

dcukhunter wrote:
    Was that the dude with the dreads collecting for the homeless?

He was a tall dude with dreads but AFAIR it was Concern at the time. Tch, a serial chugger?

No it isn't. It's because America's a first world country, and one of the richest in the world.

And people in need are people in need.

There's a difference between people in need whose governments can't/won't help them, and people in need in a western democracy whose governments can and will (with enough pressure) help them.
    Zulu wrote: »
    With an annual military budget of...
    So? That doesn't mean other nations should feel bad for not donating to the American government in aid of the Hurricane Katrina victims. Sending aid to the USA is laughable really - essentially treating it as if it's a country in a desperately impoverished state like, say, Sierra Leone.

If there's one thing the American government doesn't need, it's charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

do not make any eye contact with them, get them in all the NW towns as well, was in sligo town one day, got approached by a concern chugger, flashed my 'make poverty history' wrist band, thought it might show that already give to them, but did not discourage them at all, he just tried to sell their new charity drive instead

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I had someone try the same thing in Belgium.

Was approached by a pushy charity worker who pressed me for money, I jabbered away in Irish and pretend not to understand, she tried various languages and when she asked if I spoke English, I said in a heavy accent "a little bit" and when she pressed for money "I don't pay". Worked like a charm as she felt my grasp of english was too poor for hassling money.

Whenever I'm abroad Irish works wonders, here I either speak french or german without any grasp of english.

In sorry dudess, but i cant agree with you.

Lets not send AID to china either. They're rich..

.. oh thats right they're not american.

Many of these african nations you speak have wealth, just not the people because of corruption.

Im going to have to infract you.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

just say your on the mobile even though your not,,,, heh think about that

In sorry dudess, but i cant agree with you.

Lets not send AID to china either. They're rich..

.. oh thats right they're not american.
    But it's not a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

a blank vacant stare usually works. or if they do stop me sorry dont have an irish bank account for eh well reasons you know. have never really abused them though just once when i was in a bad mood and really hungover told one to just get the f*ck out of my face it was one of those hippy types with flailing limbs all over the place just bugged me. the whole lot of them bug me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Proxy wrote: »
    He was a tall dude with dreads but AFAIR it was Concern at the time. Tch, a serial chugger?

Might be a differant fella so. This one was collecting for the homeless " Ya man I was homeless and now I work for the charity that helped me", wanted my bank details. Told him dont give my details to anyone. He then tried to get me to go to the bank. Just told him no thanks and walked off. There is a couple of them around Ulster Bank in the square.

Advertisement