Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to dissuade the chuggers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dudess wrote: »
    But it's not a democracy.

whats your point? (asking politely)

If you simply admit you dislike america, i will remove infraction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's not anti-Americanism - that's just your interpretation. I'm not anti American.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i just dont think aid should be political . . . its more important than that.

People in need.

We will agree to disagree.

(but im right and you're wrong :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

snyper wrote: »
    i just dont think aid should be political . . . its more important than that.

People in need.

We will agree to disagree.

(but im right and you're wrong :p)

The American government should have that **** covered in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

A few years ago a girl working for one these charities followed down grafton street just talking and eventually mentioning the charity she worked for, anyway the best way of getting rid of them is just stop, look them in the eyes and say something along the lines of "you're really funny and friendly and cute, maybe we could go out sometime ? can i have your number ? wait, come back! I think I love you !!!"
    works equally well on men and women and is especially effective against members of the same sex. trust me, it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

There's a difference between people in need whose governments can't/won't help them, and people in need in a western democracy whose governments can and will (with enough pressure) help them.

So? That doesn't mean other nations should feel bad for not donating to the American government in aid of the Hurricane Katrina victims. Sending aid to the USA is laughable really - essentially treating it as if it's a country in a desperately impoverished state like, say, Sierra Leone.

If there's one thing the American government doesn't need, it's charity.

I'll have to agree with Synper here - people in desperate need are people in need, regardless of whether you agree with their government of not.

China isn't a western democracy for sure, but its government is trying its darnest to help the victims/survivors of the earthquake - because they've mobilised 130,000 troops (faster than the Katrina people by the way) they shouldn't get aid? On the other hand, China is nowhere near a first world country, it's large GNP is offset by the fact it has the largest population in the world... so Snyper's point of China being "rich" isn't quite accurate, sure there are some millionaires/billionaires but the ratio per capita would be a lot lower than Ireland for example (I'm guessing).

If you're sending money to China because of the mentality "oh look at those poor people who are abused by the government" I don't quite think you've got the right idea of the Chinese government is about. So personally I think this charity stuff should be given without thinking, can this country's system deal with it... the facts are (for whatever reasons) they can't deal with it properly and your money is going towards saving lives... isn't that what's most important in the end? Not whether it's an American life or a Zambian/Burmese etc. etc.

edit: to turn your argument about democracy linking to aid-giving - if Ireland was hit by a largish meteor/tidal wave tomorrow and 20,000 dead, 100,000 homeless etc. would we be right in expecting some international aid to come to us? We are a first world country, we are a "western democracy", we have plenty of money... but it is obvious (to me at least) that people will be sending us money in our time of need.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    if Ireland was hit by a largish meteor/tidal wave tomorrow and 20,000 dead, 100,000 homeless etc. would we be right in expecting some international aid to come to us?
    I personally don't think so. We have enough money ourselves. And snyper and you seem to feel I don't think aid should have been donated to the Katrina victims because I have a problem with the Bush administration. Now that would be sh1tty of me - it's nothing to do with my views on Bush, it's everything to do with the fact that America has enough money itself to help the Katrina victims. Acquiring money from countries outside of it is a joke. I'd feel the same way if it had happened under Clinton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Okay, this is where we're in disagreement then. I just feel that although we may have enough money in the long term to deal with a major incident (though the recent pamphlets certainly do not inspire confidence!) in the short term we would need a major cash injection (getting the medicine/temporary shelter/rescue workers to the disaster area) and one government simply can't cope with something like that. Where would we find 100,000 tents in Ireland?

Similarly I've heard that 5 million people are homeless as a result of the quake in China... China does not have 5 million tents (or even 1 million) - the president has ordered factories to produce 30,000 a day but that's still a major shortfall... the logistics of disaster relief go beyond the normal measure of "wealth" in a country. The fact that someone is earning 200,000 dollars a year in Manhatten is going to mean diddly squat to the guy who has to feed his shelterless family for the month or so before things start returning to a semblence of normality.

That's how I feel about it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ask them if they get paid by the hour or commission and if they say commission spend 3 hours talking to them and at the end say somthing along the lines of thankyou for your time and walk off:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

weeder wrote: »
    ask them if they get paid by the hour or commission and if they say commission spend 3 hours talking to them and at the end say somthing along the lines of thankyou for your time and walk off:pac:
    Interesting idea, but allow me to point out the glaring flaw in your plan - it invovles talking to them for 3 hours! I can't be around them for more than 3 minutes without wishing on them a fate worse than the people they collect for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So? That doesn't mean other nations should feel bad for not donating to the American government in aid of the Hurricane Katrina victims. Sending aid to the USA is laughable really - essentially treating it as if it's a country in a desperately impoverished state like, say, Sierra Leone.

If there's one thing the American government doesn't need, it's charity.
    I think you missed my point.

Entirely.

The implication was that the gross annual spend on military in the US far exceeds any other country, and that the cost of one stealth bomber would have comfortably covered the cost of the disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Enough about the merits (or not) of giving to US/China disaster relief efforts and all that mumbo jumbo. This thread is about chuggers :)

I think most people secretly love cold callers and chuggers. I know I do. I mean how often do you get to be verbally abusive to people nowadays without having to feel guilty about it?

One tactic I used once on a chugger was to just repeat everything they said back to them. About three sentences in she gave up.

Zulu wrote: »
    I think you missed my point.
    Indeed. Apologies. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i say no, if they get in my way, due to self defence laws im in my right to move them , if they percist its stalking.

if you want to say something witty say " i played poker with tarrot cards the other night, got a king high flush and 5 men died " , keep using jokes to take her/him off there task and they'll lose intrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

no bother! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8

enough about cold callers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Ginger83

The ticket sellers are the worst but I gotten rid of a few female sellers

Seller : Excuse me sir, would you like to buy a ticket in aid of such and so?
    Me : How much are they?
    Seller : €2 sometimes its €3
    Me : I wouldnt, no but I'd sure give you €2 to remove your top
    Seller : stunned
    Me : walk off

works a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Chugger (clipboard in hand, flashing a huge set of pearly whites): Good morning sir, can I ask you one question?

Me: You just did (walks on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I speak french when they come near, this confuses em so much for so many reasons. Then I may break out the italian or german, jeebus irish even works.

waving your arms furiously also works wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

i tell them im under 18. they cant sell the tickets or take your details if youre under 18 and it works like a charm. even if youre a middle aged balding old man give it a go. if they question you about just say "prove it" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

i tell them im under 18. they cant sell the tickets or take your details if youre under 18 and it works like a charm. even if youre a middle aged balding old man give it a go. if they question you about just say "prove it" :D

I work in Belfast and i told one of the girls from Oxfam that i had paid for 2 black babies but no sign of a delivery yet. Any chance she'd chase it up before i waste any more money on it.

She was not happy and told me to fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

"oh hi! Concern eh? Sure! Have a sniff of this cloth first though. Its chloroform scented".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

either

Chugger: would you like to donate to concern
    me; would YOU like to donate to concern
    chugger; well i'm out here working for them
    me; so what you're telling me is that YOU expect ME to donate to concern, while YOU'RE actually taking money away from them. Selfish Prick!!! (walk off)

or

chugger: would you like to donate to concern
    me; if i donate to concern will you have sex with me?

or

Give them loads of eye contact from a long distance smile back at them and then as soon as they start talking look straight ahead and walk past them.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

"I already donate on a weekly basis"

Bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Normally go with "doesn't Concern me" ....most of them don't even get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Chugger: "excuse me, do you want to help the homeless for the price of a cup of coffee a day?"

Me: *slurps coffee* "Nah"

or if one comes towards you just say a very firm "No." Maybe it works for because I'm a young girl and they don't want to push it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

tell them they can have the money but only IF they reach into your pockets and get it themselves;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Robert Stack will show the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qse_wf57tZM

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

In Chicago of July of this year:

GreanPeace rep: Hello fellow enviromentalists!
    Us: *laugh hysterically and walk on saying 'not with an opening statement like that' *

And a few days later some guy for a Children's Hospital:

Him:Hi, would you like to help a child today?
    Me:No.
    Him:Oh so you just don't care about children

If i wasn't in a hurry, i would have given him an earful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

blow69 wrote: »
    Him:Hi, would you like to help a child today?
    Me:No.
    Him:Oh so you just don't care about children

Or 'Would you like to save the life of a child?' is another common one. What kind of tosser takes one of these jobs? I walk through Dublin city centre every moning and evening and am plagued with them. I don't engage them ever now, just a polite no and keep walking.

Advertisement