Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to dissuade the chuggers?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭CursedSkeptic

I don't believe in charity, said without even looking in their direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My husband has a tactic that makes me chuckle. When a female chugger approaches him, he smiles and says, "You're very beautiful, but I fear you're only after me for my money."

They usually blush, laugh, and let him walk on.

I usually smile politely and say "No thank you" without breaking my stride. I give to half of them already anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Depends on my mood.

Tell them to fook off if in a rush.

If I'm feeling nicer and they're concern etc. I explain that I don't give money for people in other continents when we have Irish that could do with the help.

If I'm having a quiet day I'll stand around and do my civic duty by leading them in circles and letting other citizens pass uninterupted (makes me feel like I've given my time to charity of others)

Had a brilliant one one day. Was outside gamestop where friend works, other friend was in buying guitar hero3. I had bought extra guitar in Argos as was cheaper and didnt want the stick from Gamespot mate.

This girl came over asking if we could talk,
    "Sure, as long as you don't want money off me"
    "Well it's not a lot"
    "Good cause it's not a lot YOU won't be getting so!"
    "Can I just explain the situation" (some eye thingy for Africans... now theres no chance)

"Sure, (Im stuck waitin anyway might aswell distract her) AS long as you understand your not getting any money"
    She goes on to explain stuff, I switch off. Then she asks would I miss 12 cents a day?
    So I go into full acting out the scene mode
    "Of course, I'd be like where the hell is my 12 cents,(looking around) I know I put it some where (look in argos bag, getting more paniky) Ah crap where the hell.. (at this point I stop a stranger on the street) Hey! you didnt see MY 12 cents did you?"
    Stranger gets a freaked out look, chugger laughs I just stop and smile at her and she realises she ain't getting anywhere. Says thanks anyway and moves on.
    Love when I can have a bit of fun with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Doesn anyone find the Metro and Herald AM guys getting annoying also?:D Obvioulsy its not as bad but its still annoying all the same. I mean its free which is great but its getting to the stage where im walking past at least 10 of them from the train station and some of them really throw the papers into your face! Even when im holding about 3 papers and all my hands are full:mad: Agghhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I usually go with "Sorry, I'm busy" and proceed to walk slowly down the street.....

For our Cork viewers, who the fupp were those guys outside Merchant's Quay a couple of weeks back? Mainly black american guys with one english girl. They didn't have clipboards and didn't strike me as chuggers. I was thinking scientoligist or some other looney church/cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I take my top off and sing "More than Words" to them. They're usually gone by the chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

These fuckers really piss me off.
    When they approach me I just smile sweetly and ask 'So you want me to help you make money out of other people's poverty? Fuck off' and keep walking.

To any chuggers reading this, go and get a real job you cunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Know a girl who worked for one of the marketing companies that do this **** for several charities, pay is quite good, starts at 9 or 10 an hour and you get commission based on sign ups. The company takes the first year's payments through the charity as its fee, afaik. If you want to donate to charity, do so directly, not through these parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

there used to be one on galway street that was a menace. a young skinny lad who thought the world of himself. he wouldn't ask, he'd grab you by the waist, shoulder, arm and be winking and giving you the eye. its the grabbing that bothered me.
    there was one day when i was in dublin. someone from one of these charities approached me. i got the impression he was a fake. the charity he was towing happened to be one i'd be affected by. i explained that i'd never got a cent even though i'm affected by it and asked him for some money :P he fecked off pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,992 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Depends on my mood.

Tell them to fook off if in a rush.

If I'm feeling nicer and they're concern etc. I explain that I don't give money for people in other continents when we have Irish that could do with the help.

If I'm having a quiet day I'll stand around and do my civic duty by leading them in circles and letting other citizens pass uninterupted (makes me feel like I've given my time to charity of others)

Had a brilliant one one day. Was outside gamestop where friend works, other friend was in buying guitar hero3. I had bought extra guitar in Argos as was cheaper and didnt want the stick from Gamespot mate.

This girl came over asking if we could talk,
    "Sure, as long as you don't want money off me"
    "Well it's not a lot"
    "Good cause it's not a lot YOU won't be getting so!"
    "Can I just explain the situation" (some eye thingy for Africans... now theres no chance)

"Sure, (Im stuck waitin anyway might aswell distract her) AS long as you understand your not getting any money"
    She goes on to explain stuff, I switch off. Then she asks would I miss 12 cents a day?
    So I go into full acting out the scene mode
    "Of course, I'd be like where the hell is my 12 cents,(looking around) I know I put it some where (look in argos bag, getting more paniky) Ah crap where the hell.. (at this point I stop a stranger on the street) Hey! you didnt see MY 12 cents did you?"
    Stranger gets a freaked out look, chugger laughs I just stop and smile at her and she realises she ain't getting anywhere. Says thanks anyway and moves on.
    Love when I can have a bit of fun with it :D
    These fuckers really piss me off.
    When they approach me I just smile sweetly and ask 'So you want me to help you make money out of other people's poverty? Fuck off' and keep walking.

To any chuggers reading this, go and get a real job you cunts.

Wow, what horrible horrible posts. There is never any need to be rude. As irritating as these people can be I'd never be downright ignorant to them.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I read their chest and say "<insert charity here>? Oh you guys got me last week! 10e a month!"

They cant really hassle you after that, the funny thing is most of them barely realise what you are up to!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Yeah just say "I do it already" or failing that, say f off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

there used to be one on galway street that was a menace. a young skinny lad who thought the world of himself. he wouldn't ask, he'd grab you by the waist, shoulder, arm and be winking and giving you the eye. its the grabbing that bothered me.
    there was one day when i was in dublin. someone from one of these charities approached me. i got the impression he was a fake. the charity he was towing happened to be one i'd be affected by. i explained that i'd never got a cent even though i'm affected by it and asked him for some money :P he fecked off pretty quick.

If you're assaulted like this a swift kick in the nuts is legal, I think.

Wow, what horrible horrible posts. There is never any need to be rude. As irritating as these people can be I'd never be downright ignorant to them.

That's you though, isn't it?
    I consider it to be downright ignorant for them to continue to pester me when I have given them a clear 'No'.
    And what's worse is that you leave one only to be accosted by another 5 yards later, the pricks don't even try to dilute their presence, garnering irritation, frustration and annoyance from the general public.
    I know everyone has to make a living but seriously, there is no respect to be earned from this line of work, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

The Hanly Centre girls are the worst.

They sell €3 scratchcards, but the problem is they only hire really hot girls.

Countless blokes are trapped by the hottie stopping them on the street!

Thats actually how i met one of my exes!!! These days i just tell them no, not interested. Usually seems to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I just set fire to/stab them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

some of them follow me up the street after iv said no. its like they dont understand the word "no", i bet theyd understand a swift dig in the face though.

in all seriousness though following people up the street when they have said no already is very bad form. the town and city councils around the country should ban them off the streets.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kintarō Hattori View Post
    That's you though, isn't it?
    I consider it to be downright ignorant for them to continue to pester me when I have given them a clear 'No'.
    And what's worse is that you leave one only to be accosted by another 5 yards later, the pricks don't even try to dilute their presence, garnering irritation, frustration and annoyance from the general public.
    I know everyone has to make a living but seriously, there is no respect to be earned from this line of work, and rightly so.

Damn right. These people use every psychological trick in the book to manipulate your social responses. They are parasites. The questions like would you like to save a child are whats called a yes ladder meaning, ignoring the obvious fact they're chuggers, and taking the question at face value you would say yes. Then by logic its very hard to subsequently refuse to pay money without looking like a hypocrite.
    If they want to do good deeds to help the unfortunate let them get a real job and do volunteer work for a charity.
    And if I want to I'll find the charity myself and help them out.
    Unfortunately for you society is built on social ethics that they are well aware of and too happy to manipulate to the point that even if they piss you off you still feel guilty and therefore make an excuse or even lie to avoid it. That is the power of societies rules over peoples interactions.
    Until you see that and are willing to retaliate against people who try and manipulate your good nature for THEIR gain you'll always feel guilty for refusing them and accuse us of being rude.

Sorry for the rant but I really have a problem with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i've tried the already signed up idea, flashed them my make poverty history band, they tried to sell me their new charity drive

my plan usally is, look striaght ahead, avoid eye contact, plug in the mp3 headphones, look at my mobile, pretend to txt, pretend to be on my mobile, or a combination of the lot

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Damn right. These people use every psychological trick in the book to manipulate your social responses. They are parasites. The questions like would you like to save a child are whats called a yes ladder meaning, ignoring the obvious fact they're chuggers, and taking the question at face value you would say yes. Then by logic its very hard to subsequently refuse to pay money without looking like a hypocrite.
    If they want to do good deeds to help the unfortunate let them get a real job and do volunteer work for a charity.
    And if I want to I'll find the charity myself and help them out.
    Unfortunately for you society is built on social ethics that they are well aware of and too happy to manipulate to the point that even if they piss you off you still feel guilty and therefore make an excuse or even lie to avoid it. That is the power of societies rules over peoples interactions.
    Until you see that and are willing to retaliate against people who try and manipulate your good nature for THEIR gain you'll always feel guilty for refusing them and accuse us of being rude.

Sorry for the rant but I really have a problem with this issue.

+1. Nicely put.
    I don't think Kintaro Hitachi read the thread in it's entirety, mine was a very mild suggestion in comparison!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I was doing a project for college and Chuggers were a god-send. I'd just walk down the street and get them to fill it out for me. And it wasn't just a tick the boxes type thing, it was one of those ones that had open questions and you have to fill out long answers. No-one I'd normally ask would properly answer those ones, so it was really messing things up for me. Every single chugger filled it out properly, with reasoned answers, probably hoping to get more moneys out of me.

Apart from that a quick "**** off ye ****!" does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

If i'm in a group they usually ask my friends and ignore me. Whats that about. I think i hold the secret to shielding oneself. Has anyone ever just said screw it,and whipped out the camera phone and videotaped them being rude,entering personal space and basically being complete pricks? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

anyone ever give them fake details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've found it's helpful to answer their question literally instead of taking it as a greeting, eg.

"Hi, do you have a minute?"
    "I have lots!" Then keep walking

"Hi, how are you?"
    "I'm great, thanks!" Then keep walking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Dave! wrote: »
    I've found it's helpful to answer their question literally instead of taking it as a greeting, eg.

"Hi, do you have a minute?"
    "I have lots!" Then keep walking

"Hi, how are you?"
    "I'm great, thanks!" Then keep walking

I like it

"would you like to donate some money?"
    "no!" Then keep walking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I say no or shake my head. If they're persistent and keep walking in my direction I'll make a gesture that I'll punch them. It works very well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

anyone ever give them fake details?

ah, did this once. then felt incredibly guilty about it, so now just ignore them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

my ex did this for a few months. she was making 600-700 euro a week average,and free accomodation/transport to go with it. she did raise ****loads forn the charitys involved however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

tayto909 wrote: »
    my ex did this for a few months. she was making 600-700 euro a week average,and free accomodation/transport to go with it. she did raise ****loads forn the charitys involved however.

I thought they were on a set wage, not commission.
    Pretty decent wage too, around €14 per hour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

micmclo wrote: »
    I thought they were on a set wage, not commission.
    Pretty decent wage too, around €14 per hour
    off the top of my head its 350 basic a week plus commision. but if your not making the sales they'll let you go, hence the pressure tactics... i think it was face2face she was with, one of the bigger ones.

Advertisement