Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pick one club...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

hunter164 wrote: »
    Well then if Liverpool were in the League 2 you'd still support them and dream of better days??

btw I support Liverpool aswell.

Absolutely...

I just feel the Premerdhip is more competitive than the EL thats all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Ye I know that but if I took over Shels it wouldn't be for financial gain it would be to get them back to the big time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Take over Liverpool, get those yanks out and buy in who rafa really wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pats

100 mil and i would have them in the group stages of CL ands producing/selling quality irish players for the national team.

I would get my 100 mil back after 3 seasons.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Have to agree with Macers. There's certainly nothing wrong with the EL but it's the competitiveness of the premiership that keeps me interested in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Mallorca!

They are selling the club at a modest price too. Can't remember the exact figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

St.Pauli.
    Just love their fans.
    FC United of Mancester but doubt they'd sell.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

jimmyboy wrote: »
    St.Pauli.
    Just love their fans.
    You've obviously never come accross any of the hanger on ones, who are absolute c*nts.
    Proper fans are a great laugh though, good to see them staying up this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Just how is the Premiership sen as being so "competitive"?

The premiership is in real danger of becoming as predicatble as the SPL in all honesty, the "Big 4" are pulling away further and further, creeping into the top 4 is already a major success for some teams...its only gonna get worse IMO.

Back on topic, my heart would say id buy Rangers and try and attempt to bring back the power the club had in the transfer market towards the end of NIAR and Advocaats era.

My head say i would try my luck with one of the Edinburgh teams, Aberdeen or Dundee Utd.
    All clubs with a major support and tradition in terms of scottish football and at one time were able to challenge the Old Firm on the pitch, before money became THE major factor in football, it would be interesting to see if that could be brought back.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    Just how is the Premiership sen as being so "competitive"?

The premiership is in real danger of becoming as predicatble as the SPL in all honesty, the "Big 4" are pulling away further and further, creeping into the top 4 is already a major success for some teams...its only gonna get worse IMO.

Back on topic, my heart would say id buy Rangers and try and attempt to bring back the power the club had in the transfer market towards the end of NIAR and Advocaats era.

My head say i would try my luck with one of the Edinburgh teams, Aberdeen or Dundee Utd.
    All clubs with a major support and tradition in terms of scottish football and at one time were able to challenge the Old Firm on the pitch, before money became THE major factor in football, it would be interesting to see if that could be brought back.

Ah but unlike the SPL

1) There are four (three:D:pac:) realistic challengers, not 2.
    2) You'll NEVER see the same team win the league 9 years in a row
    3) Its a common occurance for the lower half of the table teams to pick up wins over The "Big 4" - not so much in Scottyland

I do agree with ya in one regard, its not competitive in terms of those lower half teams stand no chance of winning the league but at least the league isnt decided almost solely on head to heads...

ook at birmingham, relegated, and yet they have quality like Kapo in their squad...... its a higher level, mostly due to Murdochs millions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I wouldn't mind parting my cash for Valencia. Put them back at the top of La Liga where they belong and add a Champions League!:p (I don't know why, but I've always liked Valencia despite my somewhat limited knowledge of Spanish football)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ah but unlike the SPL

1) There are four (three:D:pac:) realistic challengers, not 2.
    2) You'll NEVER see the same team win the league 9 years in a row
    3) Its a common occurance for the lower half of the table teams to pick up wins over The "Big 4" - not so much in Scottyland

I do agree with ya in one regard, its not competitive in terms of those lower half teams stand no chance of winning the league but at least the league isnt decided almost solely on head to heads...

ook at birmingham, relegated, and yet they have quality like Kapo in their squad...... its a higher level, mostly due to Murdochs millions.

I'm not denying its a higher level, money dictates that it always will be (at least while Murdoch has a say)

But the Premiership has twice as many teams, it makes sense that there will be twice as many challengers no?
    Celtic lost this season to Hibs 6th (Home)
    ICT 9th (Away)
    Motherwell 3rd (Home)

Rangers lost this season to Hearts 8th (Away)
    Hibs 6th (Home)
    Dundee Utd 5th (Away)
    Aberdeen 4th (Away

Not counting the Old Firm Games obviously.

Not counting the "Big 4"

Man Utd lost this season to Man City 9th (Home and Away)
    Bolton 16th (Away)

Chelsea lost this season to Aston Villa 6th (Away)

Not really much evidence of teams from outside the "big 4" causing much more upset than teams outside the Old Firm in scotland is there?

As i say, while the money is there the premiership will always have quality in its ranks, but the power difference between the "big 4" and the rest is getting biger by the year, and this idea of competitiveness is becoming a myth with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Macers wrote: »
    You have the funds..you have the balls...what club would you chose to take over?

Shamrock Rovers. Oh wait we (me and 500+ others) already did that!

Who owns your club? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I'll take over Sligo Rovers and lead us to world domination :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Leeds for me - their potential is massive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Jazzy wrote: »
    Id also take over Boardeaux and give them loads of money.... perhaps sign Xavi to partner Xavi in midfield :p

i can imagine boards Xavi would be on the first plan back for that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Macers wrote: »
    I think the main problem for Sunderland is there location...
    Classic :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

We talking unlimited resources here?
    If so, Athlone Town.

Buy the select EL players and nick a few from lower championship. league one and lower SPL teams, steam roll league, try get champions league group stage within 5 years and then expand stadium to about 10,000, this is small enough that when there are onyl 2500 at league games it wont look too empty and big enough to make good revenue from CL games, if all is going well after that, who knows, maybe even the a sacrafice and try enter the English league from the bottom, if the fans supported it, and try to gain entry to the premiership within X ammountof years...

Or,

Swansea City.
    already have a premierhsip stadium, just need premiership football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

If it's unlimited resources well then I'd just give 30 million euro to each Premier Division club and 20 million to each First Division club.

That would bring on the league.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

SantryRed wrote: »
    If it's unlimited resources well then I'd just give 30 million euro to each Premier Division club and 20 million to each First Division club.

That would bring on the league.:D
    No it wouldn't, it'd just increase the cost of buying average players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Would have to be a club with potential i.e a big fanbase. A friend of mine supports Wycombe but reckons they will never go higher than league 1 at best because they don't have the fanbase to do it. Crowds of about 6,000 max.

Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday are both what you might call sleeping giants, alot of potential there if someone came in with a bit of money to spend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

albertw wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers. Oh wait we (me and 500+ others) already did that!

Who owns your club? :)

With sufficient millions, I wouldn't take over/run Rovers...I'd keep the current set-up and just give my account details to the board - oh and carte blanche to do as they see fit with it.

May as well use the money shrewdly and wisely afterall :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Napoli for me. Massive catchment area, one team for one massive city. Have the glamorous history from the Maradona years. Very loyal, if violent, fanbase. Massive void of a strong team in the south of Italy. Money isn't as big in Italy as it is in England and Spain so it would probably be cheaper to get a team into the Champion's League. Also, the best pizza in the world. No brainer

I'd agree with this too, if you take the suburbs into consideration you have a population of 3 million people with only one local top flight club to support, a good-sized stadium (70,000, i think) and a proud people who would dearly love to beat their northern rivals. I was in naples yesterday and the city has a unique buzz to it that if properly translated into football terms could transform napoli into a top european club. There is, however, one major problem: the minute any real money begins to be made, local 'interests' would certainly make their presence felt. Within 5 years, you'd either have won the champions league or you'd be dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'd have to go with VfB Stuttgart. A dedicated fanbase, fantastic history, and the potential to be not only dominant in Germany, but also to put German football back on the map as a force in Europe. I think there's a solid base of players, maybe bring in a few more of international standard... maybe bring back Kuranyi, and keep Gomez.
    The new stadium is being built, so a lot could be done to expand the clubs' support beyond the traditional areas.
    It is a fan-run club already for the most part, so I guess with extra funds great things could happen.
    ....Either them, or Shels :D

I wouldn't mind parting my cash for Valencia. Put them back at the top of La Liga where they belong and add a Champions League!:p (I don't know why, but I've always liked Valencia despite my somewhat limited knowledge of Spanish football)

Think thats a good club to go for - I think just bad management (both on the pitch and in the boardroom) that have seen them slide recently...

SectionF wrote: »
    Classic :D

I mean that genuinely... Keano said it himself - its not exactly the most fashionable part of the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Crvena Zvezda:)
    Nothing can makes you happier than your own club,all others are just money:)

Advertisement