Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Ever Get Fed Up?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Do you ever get fed up when people ask you where you are from, And You Say I'm from Donegal and their reaction is... "Aw Wee Daniel" F.F.S. and then they keep it going trying to copy his accent and going "Aw Wee Daniel Loves His Mammy"
    It has happened to me loads of times, I always feel like I wanna hit the person or Tell them "Thats Something I've Never heard before..D!(kh€@d"
    I'm not by any means a Daniel Fan, But I do admire him and all that he has done for the county..
    Anyways,
    Does anyone else get this kind of reaction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Tell them to fuck off ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

muffler wrote: »
    Tell them to fuck off ;)

:D

I have never had someone even mention "Daniel" when I say I'm from Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Lucky you I am from Burtonport and I get it all the time its worse in the summer when his "FANS" are about the place it drives me nuts :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Say something like 'yes I anally fist daniel on a regular basis'. If they contimue ask them if they would like to be fisted and start rolling up your sleeves. Sometimes offense is the best defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Why would you even care? Most places are known for something- what's the harm in Donegal's being Daniel? Ive gotten it plenty- and never minded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

I suddenly feel sick.My daughter,10,calls him Daniel O'Vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

tbh, if i mention donegal, bernard comes up more often in the conversation than daniel

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Thumpette wrote: »
    Why would you even care? Most places are known for something- what's the harm in Donegal's being Daniel? Ive gotten it plenty- and never minded

Don't worry I'm not loosing sleep over it..

I was just asking had anyone else got the same reaction..

Tell them to fuck off ;)

Donegal People are too nice to do anything like that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

While in college in Limerick, I was gettin a taxi into town one day to catch the train to Dublin. Chattin away etc etc...then he radiod back to the office as they do when they've picked up a job and said 'yeah, I've Daniel O'Donnell's sister on with me here boi...'

It was hilarious *insert rolling eyes here*

• Advertisement

LoanShark wrote: »
    Donegal People are too nice to do anything like that!!
    Fuck off LoanShark :D

Fuck off LoanShark :D

See What I Mean... The Smiley face :D

We're Too nice!!

LoanShark wrote: »
    See What I Mean... The Smiley face :D

We're Too nice!!
    Thats what I meant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

perhpas the Daniel thing was a ploy by the gardai to divert attention from the Morris Tribunral. Bet bertie wishes Daniel was in Fianna Fail.

Don't seem to get it that often these days, now it seems we're all just lunatics on the road, must be the evil Daniel records we listen to in souped up cars with heavy bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Lucky you I am from Burtonport and I get it all the time its worse in the summer when his "FANS" are about the place it drives me nuts :mad:

ahahahah hate that!

I don't mind people going Daniel O'Donnell, don't get it as much now like. When they do say it I go ah yeah, sure he's always about in the Mace or The Cope, have a great wee banter with him...

One thing I absolute HATE though.. is when you talk to someone for the first time, they ask you if you are from Northern Ireland (or any county in NI), I'm like noo.... I'm from Donegal. They go, ah yeah that's up north.

NO ITS NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it is 'up north' geographically. Just not politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

remember using the exact same line to some one when i was about 13, and trying tho explain the difference, when i was living in london, the crazy thing was, i think his parents were also from the NW or west region, so you think he should have known a little better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Two instances when I have been really angry 1. Got a friend in Kildare first time she is coming up for a visit rings me up and asks if she will have to change her money to sterling 2. A few years back a teacher from Dublin bringing kids up on a school trip phones Highland Radio and asks if we have running water and electricity for fecks sake nah we live in caves and hunt with spears:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Ah yeah I know.. but they way they're on about they're thinking we use sterling and have Say NO to Ulster on our walls! lol!

Ah yeah I know.. but they way they're on about they're thinking we use sterling and have Say NO to Ulster on our walls! lol!

Well in all fairness thay have 'Say No to Ulster' on the walls a lot more in the actual Northern Ireland than they do in Donegal!

Without trying to be contraversial I reckon it would be a lot better for the people of Donegal if we were part of the UK. Aside from the obvious political issues of freedon and the influence of the troubles, I think we would be a lot more socially well off if we were the 7th county!

As it is, Donegal is forgotten about by the government in terms of resources, transport and infrastructure. It will never prosper in the way it potentially could if it either had the commitment of the Irish goverment or the governing of the UK one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Without trying to be contraversial I reckon it would be a lot better for the people of Donegal if we were part of the UK. Aside from the obvious political issues of freedon and the influence of the troubles, I think we would be a lot more socially well off if we were the 7th county!

How would it be better being part of the UK?:confused:

Better healthcare (not costing 50 quid everytime you have to go to the doctors) better roads (ever felt the difference once you cross the border) better transport (how many other parts of either country are completely unserved by rail?) better investment in the economy.

I am far from being politically motivated, and very proud of being irish. However i do feel that Dongal has been forgotten and ignored by the Irish government, who seen to regard it- as the people mentioned in this thread previously as being 'up north'.

We are isolated and forgotten. It is almost a no mans land- neither part of 'the south' or 'the north'

Would nobody agree with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Better healthcare (not costing 50 quid everytime you have to go to the doctors) better roads (ever felt the difference once you cross the border) better transport (how many other parts of either country are completely unserved by rail?) better investment in the economy.

I am far from being politically motivated, and very proud of being irish. However i do feel that Dongal has been forgotten and ignored by the Irish government, who seen to regard it- as the people mentioned in this thread previously as being 'up north'.

We are isolated and forgotten. It is almost a no mans land- neither part of 'the south' or 'the north'

Rail service in Tyrone and Fermanagh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

to the original question.... i just hate it when people ask me straight off where i'm from, it turns me off putting any effort i was going to put in to the conversation from the off!:( finnicky i know!

2. A few years back a teacher from Dublin bringing kids up on a school trip phones Highland Radio and asks if we have running water and electricity for fecks sake
    Surprised she realised that she could even phone to Donegal

cronndiesel, I have deleted your last post as it has got nothing whatsoever to do with the topic.(and I could sau that 2 of your posts in the Sligo forum are the same.)

Now Im getting to the stage where people are going to get cards if this persists. Read the charter and post accordingly and we will all get along fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmedee

i agree totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

cronndiesel, I have deleted your last post as it has got nothing whatsoever to do with the topic.(and I could sau that 2 of your posts in the Sligo forum are the same.)

Now Im getting to the stage where people are going to get cards if this persists. Read the charter and post accordingly and we will all get along fine.

is this tread about living in donegal or how people are tired about the daniel o donnell association?

if its the latter, arent other posts off topic as well:confused::confused:

in the interests of staying on topic i will pm you on the 2 sligo posts

is this tread about living in donegal or how people are tired about the daniel o donnell association?
    The thread is about the DOD accent and Northern accents in general.

if its the latter, arent other posts are off topic as well:confused::confused:
    Thank you for bringing that matter to my attention but please leave it to me to decide what is on/off topic. Its called moderation and is carried out by a moderator and in this instance that would be me.

in the interests of staying on topic i will pm you on the 2 sligo posts
    Why on earth would you do that and what will that achieve with staying on topic here? This is the Donegal forum not Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

The thread is about the DOD accent and Northern accents in general.

i agree thats what i ment about ''the dod association''

Thank you for bringing that matter to my attention but please leave it to me to decide what is on/off topic. Its called moderation and is carried out by a moderator and in this instance that would be me.

i ment no challenge

Why on earth would you do that (I) and (II)what will that achieve with staying on topic here? This is the Donegal forum not Sligo.

(I) quote form charter- ''If you have an issue with a moderator's action then PM the mod in question.''

(II) you said id posted off topic twice on the sligo forum but the charter said to pm and not to discuss on thread as this is a thread about the effect of danial o donnell and how people think their being funny by using his association with donegal to slag people from the county thats what id have to do

i honestly mean no disrespect here im just answering your questions

Advertisement