Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50"+ Lcd Tv

• 27-05-2008 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey all, I’m just wondering where a guy could get his hands on a good quality 50 inch or greater LCT TV for €1100 or less. I need it to replace an old CRT in a local club so 1080p really doesn’t matter just so long as the picture is good and clear for general Sky TV watching and plenty of sports, maybe 720p?

I had awful trouble with LCD TVs and sport before, where the refresh rate wasn’t quick enough or something. While watching snooker or football it left a streak across the screen for a split second, very off putting.
    Anyway, any suggestions??

Cheers.
    D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

You're gonna struggle to find any decent 50"+ LCDs for that price. And seeing as it's for sports mostly, you wont want a cheap LCD.

You should take a more serious look at plasma as they have practical zero response time and in general (especially for your price range) handle SD signals better. There's a couple of 50" plasmas for around your budget. Between 1100-1500euro for entry level plasmas from LG, Samsung and Philips (Check out http://www.technikdirekt.de/ and http://www.pixmania.ie/). I'd recommend trying to get a bit more funds together and get a Panasonic plasma. Last years 50" model (Panasonic TH-50 PV 71) can be had for €1583 delivered off technikdirekt.de I have the 37" version and its a great tv, especially for sport and movies.

I'd say you'd get better value with a projector. The Panasonic PT AX 200 E is a great performer with high lumens (brightness), so throwing a bright 50"+ image should be no problem. It also falls within your budget ~1000-1100euro. The Sanyo PLV-Z5 is also a great projector, hasn't got as high a lumens rating (1100 vs 2000).

So overall, there is a bit of choice for you. I'd recommend the projector if its an option, if not, go for the plasma (ideally a Panasonic).

Hope that helps in some way

(Might need to click on the Ireland flag for some of those links)

Edit:
    Just noticed over in the HE Video Display and Projector forum that Richersounds.ie are selling Panasonic TH50PX70PED for just over 1100euro.

I'd say that's your best bet if you're going for a display panel!

Advertisement