Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French Manicure

• 27-05-2008 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello all!

Any tips on how to best apply the above?, I struggled to get it half decent

I use the L'Oreal one which has the curved brush for the white tip. I heard the Boujsa (sp?) one is good but most likely out of my budget.

Thanking you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

i got a manicure done before and thought it was very clever how she did it and have been doing it that way ever since.
    she applied the white on the tip of my nails first, and put it on messily, she then made the shape, tidied it up using them stick things that beauticians use (sorry the proper name for these escapes me) she had cotton wool on the tip of them and had them dipped in nail varnish remover.
    she then continued with the pinkish nail varnish.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

I cant used the loreal one at all the curved brush confuses the life out of me!
    I use the rimmel white polish and 'oyster' nail colour to do mine and it turns out great. to help you practice you can get the guide stickers that you use to get the lines right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Practice. I spend about an hour doing my nails when i'm doing a french manicure.. I use the guide strips, much easier than doing it free hand for me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I used to use the guide strips but found they give a very hard edge to your white strip. I just practised loads and make sure I'm leaning both arms on a table or something and draw freehand.

Get an old lipstick or fine eyeshadow brush. When you have your white strips done, dip the brush in nail polish remover and tidy up any messy bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I swear to goodness, I decided to try a home manicure set and, not wanting to spend a lot of money, I bought one for a couple of Euros in Pennys. It was brilliant. Great colour, easy enough to apply, of course the nails on my left hand always looked that little bit better!

So I decided to spend a bit more next time. I've tried a few brands now and I've been sorely disappointed. I often find the white far too severe and it looks like I dipped my fingernails in Tippex and I've never been able to fins a pinky colour anywhere near as nice as the one I got in Pennys.

I soon went back to try to get another manuicure set but they weren't selling them anymore :(. If they decide to stock them again i will go in and buy 50!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

It takes a bit of practice, but you'll get it right eventually. Start off by applying the white to your tips, don't go too far below your natural nail line and don't go overboard with the white or it will only crack and chip. Use a cotton bud dipped in nail varnish remover to wipe away any white if you go wrong. You can use guides, but sometimes they peel away some of the nail varnish and you just end up with a worse mess. When you're happy with your tips apply your pink/natural colour, leave to dry completely and apply another coat. Finish with a coat of clear nail varnish. A lot of people make the mistake of applying the white after the pink/naturaly colour and the white looks too severe and chips easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I used the cotton bud dipped in nail varnish remover. I did them Monday night and they are still looking good today.

You certainly need to set aside the time for them.

I'll try using the cuticle stick with tissure in remover combo next time. It was a bit of a divil waiting for the white to dry, it would dry quickly as in you couldn't have the brush out too long but when putting on the top coat I was always paranoid about it streaking.

How much should be on the white brush?, if too much I found it absolutely messy but too little meant I had no real coverage on the tips plus streaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I got a white nail varnish pen in Sephora in America. Seems to make things a bit easier, although I still have to do some fix ups after!

AAAAAjZ8aUgAAAAAAHb5Sw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Pythia wrote: »
    I got a white nail varnish pen in Sephora in America. Seems to make things a bit easier, although I still have to do some fix ups after!

Spiffy!
    I got to get me one a them

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

The Yves St Laurent manicure pens are great too. They come in a set as part of their Spring collection. pricey if you buy them in BTs but not so bad if you get them in the airport or they even sell them on ryanair flights now!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

As someone who has bitten their nails since I was about 3 years old, I don't know anything about manicures, etc. But I've finally got some length in my nails and would love a french manicure. I think it looks lovely. How long would your nails need to be, for a beautician to be able to do a good job? My nails are just about peeping over the tip of my fingers.

Advertisement