Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Fixed Line BB

Options
  • 27-05-2008 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    Heard on the news this morning that Vodafone are rolling out fixed line broadband in competition with Eircom (though using their lines obviously)
    Can't see anything about it on the Vodafone site.....anyone got any info on prices / speeds etc ?

Cheers

HB

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah its happening (they bought perlico a while back) They're gonna go for the whole convergence thing so you'll have your mobile, landline, DSL, mobile broadband all in one package

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It won't be much competition to eircom as they'll just be re-selling eircom's wholesale broadband like the majority of the other "competition".
    crawler wrote: »
    broadband up to 2MB

Someone should have told them that eircom are removing the 2Mbps DSL in July.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It actually looks like good value compared to Eircom and BT.

€49 gets you
    - 2mb BB
    - Line Rental
    - Unlimited local and national calls
    - unlimited calls to 3 vodafone numbers

BT's 2mb + calls package costs €56 and doesn't include any free mobile calls.

Eircoms 2mb + call package costs €61 and doesn't include any free mobile calls.

You can also get a 3mb package for €59. I assume these speeds will increase when Eircom increase the speeds.

More info here:
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single11119

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

jor el wrote: »
    Someone should have told them that eircom are removing the 2Mbps DSL in July.

I reckon that there is a pretty good chance that they know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

"From today and whether a household has a landline or not, Vodafone is offering a broadband service for €49 a month. This includes connection, line rental, broadband up to 2MB, local and national landline calls and unlimited calls to three Vodafone numbers." from the rte article

does this mean they can speed up eircom and have me connected before september in Carlow town?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

foggy_lad wrote: »
    does this mean they can speed up eircom and have me connected before september in Carlow town?

No, it means they'll offer you mobile 3g where they can't get you DSL/phoneline.

It also says up to 2 mbit. So if your area only has GPRS coverage, then that's that.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So wait, is this fixed line over copper or fixed line over wireless?

I would have thought that by now one of the operators would have come up with a more clever "all-in-one" package. That is, you give the customer a small box (like a cable modem) that provides phone calls and 3G broadband over the standard mobile phone network. Since it shouldn't be an issue now to get geographical phone numbers, there's no reason why someone would need an eircom line to get an 01 number, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

seamus wrote: »
    So wait, is this fixed line over copper or fixed line over wireless?

You should ask vodafone these questions, not here.

But from my reading the article it's quite simple: if you don't have a phoneline, don't want one they'll just give you a cellphone and mobile 3g, it'll still be the same price.

It's just one package, no matter how they get it to you. That doesn't tell you what number you get, what people get charged to call you etc. It just tells you what you'll pay to call and use your broadband.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

bk wrote: »
    You can also get a 3mb package for €59. I assume these speeds will increase when Eircom increase the speeds.
    Yes they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

v10 wrote: »
    Yes they will.
    Are you sure about that?

They could be advertising speeds that will be provided by the forthcoming bitstream products. 2Mb and 3Mb will still be available as new bitstream products but at a lower price.

It would be reasonable to assume that by the time this product is actually rolled out to peoples homes and activated that the upgrade will have taken place so it is possible that the prices are based on the new wholesale package.

I'll give Vodafone a ring tomorrow but I have a feeling that they wont know what I'm talking about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

2Mb won't be available on bitstream once eircom do the upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

asked a few questions in a vodafone store today and yes you must have an eircom landline connected or installed or they cant offer you the service so that option is ruled out for me untill at least september.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

2Mb won't be available on bitstream once eircom do the upgrade.

Yeah, you're right, sorry about that. I assumed 1Mb would move to 2Mb.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

v10 wrote: »
    Yes they will.

Then 7mb BB, line rental, free landline calls and free calls to three vodafone mobiles for €59 seems like excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Then 7mb BB, line rental, free landline calls and free calls to three vodafone mobiles for €59 seems like excellent value.

But only a 30GB download "allowance"

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

I think the same ... very competitive offer. I'm with Eircom on a 2MB bundle at the moment. My only concern switching to Voda would be the tech support aspects. I use BB for tele-working and reliablility is v important for me.

Anyone any comments on the tech support aspects of the Voda offering??

Zug

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

zugvogel wrote: »
    I think the same ... very competitive offer. I'm with Eircom on a 2MB bundle at the moment. My only concern switching to Voda would be the tech support aspects. I use BB for tele-working and reliablility is v important for me.

Anyone any comments on the tech support aspects of the Voda offering??

Zug

Should be Ok, Basically if you can get eircom BB you will basically be getting perlico BB (as VF own perlico) If you cant get Eircom BB you will get a USB modem. You will then need to connect to eircom to get the phone calls.

Support will be provided by Vodafone in leoparsdtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Should be Ok, Basically if you can get eircom BB you will basically be getting perlico BB (as VF own perlico) If you cant get Eircom BB you will get a USB modem. You will then need to connect to eircom to get the phone calls.

Support will be provided by Vodafone in leoparsdtown.

If you don't have/don't want an Eircom landline, you get a USB BB modem for your BB and a mobile phone for your calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

They've got more details on their site now.

It appears they have a high criteria for your phone line - mine doesn't qualify even though I have solid 1MB from UTV

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/modem/homebroadband/linequalify.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

long_b wrote: »

It appears they have a high criteria for your phone line - mine doesn't qualify even though I have solid 1MB from UTV

Nothing new there. Lines with BB regularly fail the line test. They're checker is only checking the Eircom database.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

kaizersoze wrote: »
    If you don't have/don't want an Eircom landline, you get a USB BB modem for your BB and a mobile phone for your calls.

Where is this mentioned? I cannot find any mention of it on the Vodafone website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

long_b wrote: »

checked my line and it doesn't qualify and i have 1mb from IBB
    and one of those adsl checkers said i can get the full 8mb on adsl i dont understand this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Seems like a pretty good offer to me especially for the 3mb(7.6mb in June). From my recollection vodafone have a pretty good customer care as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

i take it if you already have a router/modem they'll give you the settings for their connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I have eircom at home broadband and it is fine. I have from time to time gone over the limit (cos i download Lost, prison break etc) because i dont have chorus or sky. I have never been charged any extra for this. Vodafone says that they will charge 1c/mb if we go over the limit. That could work out expensive!

I see on the vodafone website it says "The service may not be used for peer to peer data usage" Does that include torrents?

And the unlimited calls to mobiles is for up to 200 minutes a month. It might be worth noting that i have free vodafone to vodafone calls on my mobile (for an extra tenner) and i could hit 200 minutes in one day!

1,500 minutes max on the free landine calls is what vodafone are offering and then standard rates apply.

All considering i think the only thing in it for me might be the free vodafone calls but since i have it on the mobile already maybe i should just stay with the guys that own the phoneline!

One quick question - if i do decide to swich can i 1, keep using the silver eircom wireless router without any changes in settings and 2, can i keep downloading my email from mail1.eircom.net or would i need new pop settings?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I have eircom at home broadband and it is fine. I have from time to time gone over the limit (cos i download Lost, prison break etc) because i dont have chorus or sky. I have never been charged any extra for this. Vodafone says that they will charge 1c/mb if we go over the limit. That could work out expensive!

I see on the vodafone website it says "The service may not be used for peer to peer data usage" Does that include torrents?

And the unlimited calls to mobiles is for up to 200 minutes a month. It might be worth noting that i have free vodafone to vodafone calls on my mobile (for an extra tenner) and i could hit 200 minutes in one day!

1,500 minutes max on the free landine calls is what vodafone are offering and then standard rates apply.

All considering i think the only thing in it for me might be the free vodafone calls but since i have it on the mobile already maybe i should just stay with the guys that own the phoneline!

One quick question - if i do decide to swich can i 1, keep using the silver eircom wireless router without any changes in settings and 2, can i keep downloading my email from mail1.eircom.net or would i need new pop settings?

Cheers

edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Cheers

im pretty sure p2p includes torrents , as far as i know any peer connection where multiple connections are involved its p2p

before torrents peer2peer involved programs like limewire, bearshare etc, i have a rapidshare account and have never looked back tho , just a thought if your a heavy downloader

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

@ danger_mouse_tm

I checked the Vodafone at Home T&C and can't find any reference to restrictions on p2p usage. Where did you see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

https://www.vodafone.ie/df/modem/homebroadband/otherathomecharges/

There you go my freind! I think i might stick with eircom for a while longer. I have often gone over my usage and i havent heard a word from them. I was talking to a guy who has one of those mobile internet things- I think it's 02 broadband or something that works off the mobile phone mast and he is always getting letters about his excesive downloading!

Advertisement