Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMTP Problem?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Friend of mine asked me to take a look at his laptop yesterday as he was having trouble with his email. He has an o2 email address which he uses via Outlook. He kept getting some sort of SMTP error so I figured his SMTP settings needed to be set to his ISP's. I set this up but then I was getting a 550 error in Outlook, something to do with Spam.

I also set up an email address for his own domain name user@domainname.com and set this up but the same error. Both POP & SMTP settings are just mail.domainname.com

I didn't see the original error he was getting but he thinks it's the same error. He has his "Broadband" through some local Aer Wave type provider and he also has a 3 USB Broadband Modem. Both of which were giving the same error. Is there any way around this?

Also, with his Aer Waves style broadband, yesterday I could get on to Google and only Google. I could even run a search and it would give me search results but when I clicked on a link the pages wouldn't load. If however, I clicked on a cached link I could see the pages. I couldn't get on to any other site. It was very strange. I ran an AVG scan but it didn't find anything. Any body know what the problem might be?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not sure on his smtp problem, but I'd be pretty sure it's not the bb provider as it's happening with aer whatever and the usb one. Check outgoing mail password etc.

For his browsing problem, it sounds like maybe he wasn't able to resolve most dns entries. He has got google's in his cache so it can do that. From another computer get an ip address of a site you can't access (89.234.66.107 is boards) and try entering that into his computer to see does it connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

If that doesn't work, is there a solution Mark?
    Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement