Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little boy racers

• 27-05-2008 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I am from Donegal and it has always puzzled me on the logic of little boy racers. I know of countless people who have been injured or killed either as a result of their own crazy driving or at the lands of another lunatic on the road. While this is certainly not an exclusively Donegal problem, it definately seems to be more common.

Even at the weekend I was in an industrial estate in Dublin trying to learn to drive myself and there was about 15 learners cars driving around practicing. All of a sudden a noisy sooped up car starts tearing round the place scaring the life out of everyone in sight. Donegal reg of course!

I would love to know why this selfish self destructive tendancy is so prevelant in Donegal- and more importantly what is needed to see a change in the atitude?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

i know exactly what you mean, alot of the times when i see cars like that in dublin, I always look for the donegal reg, as there is always a good chance it is.I think its pathetic, they think they are cool when actually people just think they are sad with no style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thumpette wrote: »
    All of a sudden a noisy sooped up car starts tearing round the place scaring the life out of everyone in sight. Donegal reg of course!

I would love to know why this selfish self destructive tendancy is so prevelant in Donegal- and more importantly what is needed to see a change in the atitude?:confused:
    We see different county registrations on cars doing their little wheelies and doughnuts etc so just because it was a Donegal reg doesnt necessarily mean that it was a Donegal driver.

Maybe a read through the findings of the Morris Tribunal reports would go part of the way in explaining why this activity goes "undetected" in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Hey Muffler,

Agree totally that it may not nessesary have been a Donegal driver- though in fairness its reasonably likely. Although it might be denied that this particular car was a Donegaler, I dont theres any denying the trend in general.

As for the comment on the Morris Tribuneral, I think this is a very good point, however it only covers the policing of the issue, not the mentality behind it.

I can see how pwople get away with it, but I cant understand how a person can have such a draw towards this kind of thing. I dont understand how a 17 year year old can go to a funeral of another 17 year old killed from crazy driving and then go out that evening and rally round the place like nothing ever happened.

Is it a 'cool' thing, or a craving for danger and adrenaline- or do they really just never think it will happen to them?

A neighbour of mine died in a horrible crash years ago when he was 17, and 2 nights later his mates were back doing dohnuts outside his house just cos it was a long straight stretch of road. Ill never forget his dad just standing outside watching them helpless. There were also kids in almost every house on the road- how do these people live with themselves if they hit somebody innocent by this crazy behaviour. I really just struggle to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Young and Dumb is the only answer.
    and the mentality 'it i'll never happen to me, i'm a EXCELLENT DRIVER'. I think they just believe that and nothing will change their mind till their in a serious accident themselves.

On a side note, i was in getting new tyres on my car last week. There was an Mitsubishi EVO in front of me, also getting new tyres. I nearly dropped when i seen the owner buying the cheapest (crap) tyres in the place.
    This was a car capable of going 170mph and he was buying tyres i wouldn't put on the missus runaround. No wonder we have so many accidents if this the general mentality of boy racers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think that many Donegal Registrations regularly around dublin are older cars that have have been bought cheaply as skangermobiles by the natives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

OP, it's really is a terrible state of affairs. Those Donegalers are wild outlaws altogether! :p

Seriously though, it's a bad situation, but certainly not one confined to Donegal.

i have an interest in cars since early childhood, as do many friends and acquaintences. i have known of many illegal "cruises" going on around the country in places like Tramore, Kilkee, Galway and further a field. Closer to me in Dublin, i know lads & lassies who like to head off on these mad jaunts in their 'modded', often barely roadworthy hatches and do doughnuts in church car parks, abandoned industrial estates and beaches. At least these gatherings tend to be reasonably confined by location, but the crazy driving to & from these events is dangerous.

Another event that probably fuelled the OP's post was the killing of a mother & daughter up in Gweedore at the weekend. This kind of incident represents the worst kind of driver - totally reckless thrill-seeker who doesn’t spare a thought for the innocent motorist or pedestrian they encounter on their travels. The young driver in question will have to live with the consequences of his actions for the rest of his life and in a small community like his that will probably be very tough for him. But at least he still has a life.

Normally i wouldn't condone going beyond the usual charge of dangerous driving causing death which will probably result in a suspended sentence & license. But i think it’s time that an example is made of some of these people... serious jail time and LIFE bans from driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I am from Donegal and it has always puzzled me on the logic of little boy racers. I know of countless people who have been injured or killed either as a result of their own crazy driving or at the lands of another lunatic on the road. While this is certainly not an exclusively Donegal problem, it definately seems to be more common.

Even at the weekend I was in an industrial estate in Dublin trying to learn to drive myself and there was about 15 learners cars driving around practicing. All of a sudden a noisy sooped up car starts tearing round the place scaring the life out of everyone in sight. Donegal reg of course!

I pointed this out in a Sligo thread about two months ago but I was laughed out of it. If you drive on the Sligo-Bundoran road each day like I do, That 'road hog' lunatic that you see in your mirror coming closer and closer ....mad to get passed you....for the sake of seconds IS nearly always a DL car. The chances ARE that he IS from County Donegal.
    There always has been that Rally mentality up there. Some ,I'm afraid think they're taking part in a rally everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Jabby wrote: »
    I pointed this out in a Sligo thread about two months ago but I was laughed out of it. If you drive on the Sligo-Bundoran road each day like I do, That 'road hog' lunatic that you see in your mirror coming closer and closer ....mad to get passed you....for the sake of seconds IS nearly always a DL car. The chances ARE that he IS from County Donegal.
    There always has been that Rally mentality up there. Some ,I'm afraid think they're taking part in a rally everyday.

Eh, I regularly have lunatics hassling me on the roads driving cars from Dublin, Sligo, Galway, (they must be from these counties as the car reg says so) and practically every county. You seem to have some gripe with Donegal. It has already been pointed out to you that it isn't exclusive to here even though they are a crowd of wánkers.

smashey wrote: »
    Eh, I regularly have lunatics hassling me on the roads driving cars from Dublin, Sligo, Galway, (they must be from these counties as the car reg says so) and practically every county. You seem to have some gripe with Donegal. It has already been pointed out to you that it isn't exclusive to here even though they are a crowd of wánkers.

'Have no gripe with Donegal at all (My father was from Donegal) I and a lot of others from Sligo regularly point out that most of the dreadful driving that is witnessed around town and surrounds involves DL 'drivers'
    Oh and by the way, If a driver is driving a DL reg, I'd say that the chances of him born or living in Donegal are quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think you could argue all day that this isn't just localized to Donegal, but you cant get away from the facts that this IS a major problem in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Normally i wouldn't condone going beyond the usual charge of dangerous driving causing death which will probably result in a suspended sentence & license. But i think it’s time that an example is made of some of these people... serious jail time and LIFE bans from driving.[/QUOTE]

I think its absolutely horrific that someone could kill another innocent person on the roads and ever be allowed to set foot behind the wheel of a car again. In the wrong hands a car is a lethal weapon, I think life bans should be considered for anyone who endangers others either with speed, drink etc...

What sort of message does it send out when there is little or no consequences to taking a life.

It depends on the circumstances. There are genuine accidents. What happens if a pedestrian runs out in front of you? i wouldn't be in favour of life bans in some cases, but definitely would in others, like when it's as a cause of speed / reckless or drunk driving

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

From driving around the country for the last year for my job i can honestly say that i dont think the problem in donegal is any worst that anywhere else in the country. Now im not saying there isnt a problem just that i dont think it is massively worst in donegal than anywhere else.

A couple of reasons i think that people blame donegal for having boy racers is that alot of cars are taken in from england and the north and re-registered in donegal giving them a dl reg. Alot of these cars are normally just taken in and sold on to people around the country and they are normally boy racer type cars. Id be interested to see the stats for the county council in donegal compared to all the others for numbers of cars cleared each year id say its a good bit more than the others. This could be completly of the mark but just something i always wondered about being from Donegal myself.

But the point that some people are making on here that if you see a boy racer DL car outside of Donegal that it is most likely a Donegal person driving it is wrong imo. This post is too long already so im not gonna explain why unless peole want me to.

One other thing id mention is that i think the problem is getting much better in the last couple or years. I dont know if the statistics reflect this but in the area i live i can definately see a difference in the number of nutcase drivers on the roads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Donegal deftinately has higher instances of "crop circles" than the rest of the country.....all round the place,@ main roads busy junctions,......on the end of piers....DIFFIN is the counties national passtime with its biggest annual event coming up in mid june with the rallly........here's a clip think it was shot on the road @ the back of muckish!!!....doubt the road was closed for this event either!!
    .....I blame boredom as the main cause,nothin else to do up there really!!

That looks like a lot of fun! :D Can't see it being particularly dangerous either.

Tis a pity that these same sort of drivers are probably among those who cause mayhem elsewhere

Senna wrote: »
    I think you could argue all day that this isn't just localized to Donegal, but you cant get away from the facts that this IS a major problem in Donegal.
    Agreed.

But its certainly not exclusive to Donegal. Drive round other counties and you will encounter the same problem but its still a worrying feature.

I actually seen a guy spinning his (or someone's) BMW around a street light in the car park in Ballybofey in the middle of the day. I took note of the registration, rang the Gardai only to be told that the patrol car was away somewhere or other (probably a tea break) and by the time they would get there the guy would be long gone.

I even offered to make a statement but they weren't interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I think there are many reasons for this problem in the country. For one thing, the Gardai don't seem to want to follow up on these people. They'd rather hit the easy targets who will usually take their penalty points/fine/ban with as little hassle to the Gardai as possible. Another problem is the lack of race tracks where these muppets (and others with no muppet tendancies) can get their kicks in a fairly safe, legal environment. The rest of Europe has fairly easy access to all sorts of tracks which hold track days for cars and bikes. In the Republic there's Modello park and err...that's it.
    With specific regard to Donegal, there are other issues. The population of Donegal is dispersed. These "boy racers" are used to being able to tool around at 90 everywhere they go, and when they meet an oncoming car unexpectedly at night, they panic, they realise how little "talent" or control they have and hey presto! they've caused a massive collision. Because of the sparse population, the Gardai are thin on the ground too. Allied to all this is the fact that Donegal's mountainous and bog terrain (I know the land around east donegal is second to none, and up around Ramelto and the Finn Valley), means the nature of quite important roads differ alot from the majority of the country. Roads with no hedges and views ahead for large distances give drivers a false sense of security which leads to higher speeds. Unfortunately, the physics of a moving car do not alter according to the drivers perception.
    And once the element of modifying cars and driving like a lunatic takes root, it's very hard to get rid of. Teenagers look up to the guy with the fastest, loudest, most souped up car. When they hit 17, they'll follow suit and the whole thing snowballs.
    Why anyone would want to spend thousands doing up a car your granny wouldn't want to be seen driving is another thing. I liter Corsas with 3 cylinders with 3-4 thousand spent on them? Come on. If you actually love cars, you'd buy a proper one, or an old classic like a Capri, Mark II, Celica 2000GT, Alfasud Cloverleaf etc. etc. But a Corsa that looks like a space capsule with Playstations and a sub-woofer which eliminates all boot space? With matching seatbelt pads and sparkly lights everywhere. Without any prejudice and homosexuals, how totally gay is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

my other half has a DL reg car and he is not from Donegal!! the car was imported into Donegal in 1992 from the UK and according to the log book stayed a year in Donegal and then was in and around dublin for the rest of the time. you cant just say that because it has a donegal reg that it is from donegal!

another thing, can anyone tell me how a car does a 'wheelie', if one more person says it to me........ have to say i havent come across many cars yet that can get up on their back wheels :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

ash_18x wrote: »
    my other half has a DL reg car and he is not from Donegal!! the car was imported into Donegal in 1992 from the UK and according to the log book stayed a year in Donegal and then was in and around dublin for the rest of the time. you cant just say that because it has a donegal reg that it is from donegal!

another thing, can anyone tell me how a car does a 'wheelie', if one more person says it to me........ have to say i havent come across many cars yet that can get up on their back wheels :p

It does take a bit of power.

Quite easy in a tractor though, just a matter of weight distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

'Have no gripe with Donegal at all (My father was from Donegal) I and a lot of others from Sligo regularly point out that most of the dreadful driving that is witnessed around town and surrounds involves DL 'drivers'
    Oh and by the way, If a driver is driving a DL reg, I'd say that the chances of him born or living in Donegal are quite good.

Most of the time in Dublin I would see a DL reg as always have a wee look to see the driver.. 80% of the time it is a black man/woman driving, Now unless there has been serious sun in fintown and brockagh for the last 30years.. I dont think your arguement holds up..
    There is also a high chance that donegal cars could be sold at auction..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

my other half has a DL reg car and he is not from Donegal!! the car was imported into Donegal in 1992 :p

What a great Year!

sesswhat wrote: »
    It does take a bit of power.

Quite easy in a tractor though, just a matter of weight distribution.

fair enough but there is a bit of a difference between those kind of cars and a normal raod car doing 'wheelies'! i know its just people getting mixed up but if you are going to complain get it right, they are doughnuts!
    LoanShark wrote: »
    What a great Year!

have i missed something here?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Think men in tight shorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Think, SAM!!! Yahoo, it was a brilliant year alright!

Think, SAM!!! Yahoo, it was a brilliant year alright!

i was ten at the time and have no interest in gaa!!
    but i just googled it- the sam maguire cup!

fair enough but there is a bit of a difference between those kind of cars and a normal raod car doing 'wheelies'! i know its just people getting mixed up but if you are going to complain get it right, they are doughnuts!

That Famous 1992 win over Dublin. By 1994 though it was getting tiresome. A couple of months after the game would have been OK, but instead we had to listen all about this great day through almost all of 1993 and even into 1994.
    Only for the World Cup that year God knows when they would have stopped going on about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ulster and ireland champions
    That Famous 1992 win over Dublin. By 1994 though it was getting tiresome. A couple of months after the game would have been OK, but instead we had to listen all about this great day through almost all of 1993 and even into 1994.
    Only for the World Cup that year God knows when they would have stopped going on about it.

hopefully this year will be ours again

:)

getting back to the boy racers, all you got to do is stand in most of the towns on a saturday afternoon, or even the early hours at chucking out town, and you can see the modified corsas or civics 'crusing' around with skirting so low they would have trouble gettingover a speed hump

irish-stew, with your last paragraph you managed to get this dragged round on topic again.

To everyone else please keep it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

irish-stew wrote: »
    ulster and ireland champions

hopefully this year will be ours again

:)

getting back to the boy racers, all you got to do is stand in most of the towns on a saturday afternoon, or even the early hours at chucking out town, and you can see the modified corsas or civics 'crusing' around with skirting so low they would have trouble gettingover a speed hump
    Don't think we can ever stop the boy racers - they have been there since the da cars have been invented or near enough! The roads are so busy now that it has become so dangerous for them and also other road users - they definitely don't think about others and seem to think they are invisible until they are gone, at times taking innocent people with them!

The side roads, forests, etc are full of them and also when there is a rally it seems to double in number. I really don't know what can be done about it because our legal system isn't geared toward coping with them and they have nowhere to send them to! From an educational point of view a lot of them probably have dropped out of school early so won't have benefited from anything that would be there either - maybe the one thing that could stop them is the price of PETROL and DIESEL which has sky rocked! Maybe this could be one of the benefits of fuel prices going through the roof?

I also think some of the programmes shown on television that shows stunts and so on don't help to discourage the behaviour either! Some of the films that are in the cinema also seem to encourage this boy racer behaviour - they don't seem to realise that these stunts are done in a controlled environment and that in other situations they are dangerous! I think that older cars should be scrapped properly and their owners being responsible for them, where the person they are sold to are under age - not saying that all boy racers are under age either because a lot of them are well into their twenties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

I'm from Donegal and I have a Dublin reg car. When I go up home, I go through the Clady way which brings me out into Castlefinn then onto Ballybofey then to Cloghan then Dungloe. Always when I pass the boarder, cars behind me assume I'm from Dublin then try to overtake me on the roads...(especially after Cloghan, if anyone knows the route from Cloghan to Fintown, it's pretty ****ing dangerous like) I'm going the speed limit which is 80kmh/100kmph, sometimes go over it, and yet people behind me STILL want to overtake me. I end up either being forced to go faster or else stopping. That's partly the reason why I have a Donegal GAA teddy and a mini jersey on my window... to stop Donegal people thinking I'm some sort of tourist and drives like a granny when I clearly don't!

But I do have to admit.. when I'm driving on a road that I know pretty well and know where the next bends are coming up over a hill, I get pretty cheesed off when there's a car in front of me with a different reg and is braking all the time cos they don't know the roads.. not their fault I know!

Advertisement