Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Info on validity of contract clauses

• 27-05-2008 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have a decent (publicly accessible) online resource where I could find out some info on the validity of clauses within a contract and the contract itself in the instance that it contains invalid clauses.

The specific areas I am looking for would be

the validity of a contract that has not been read by one party (even though they have had reasonable time and opportunity to do so).
    the validity in contract law of clauses in a contact not physically signed, but partially agreed verbally (i.e. some clauses were discussed & agreed, others were not but were included in the unsigned written contract)
    the validity of such a contract following a breach by one party of one of the terms of the contract

many thanks

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm not sure about online resources. I think your best bet would be legal textbooks. Try a library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

By way of general principle...
    Stealdo wrote: »
    the validity of a contract that has not been read by one party (even though they have had reasonable time and opportunity to do so).

If the acceptance of the contract was valid, offering the defence of not reading it later on will not work. The contract remains valid unless the party could prove e.g. duress.
    the validity in contract law of clauses in a contact not physically signed, but partially agreed verbally (i.e. some clauses were discussed & agreed, others were not but were included in the unsigned written contract)

This again goes back to validity of acceptance - a question of fact i.e. did a total unequivocal acceptance of the contract take place?
    the validity of such a contract following a breach by one party of one of the terms of the contract

Assuming there was a valid acceptance of the contract, a breach will not go to invalidate the contract. The breaching party could be sued for specific performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimouse

As far as I am aware there aren't any online resources that you could use to assess your current situation. Contract law has some firm rules but there are so many ifs, buts and maybes that I would recommend seeking legal advice. If you can't afford this your local citizens information centre may help or Free Legal Advice Centre may be able to help (www.flac.ie). Failing this you could check if your local library has a contract law book that you could refer to.

The advice that you have received already on this thread is essentially sound but depending on the circumstances could be circumvented, hence the need for further advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Thanks for the info folks - much appreciated, and nice to find one of these forums where first time posters are shown a bit of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Look at Contract law book on contracts of adhesion or what are called standard form contracts.

Look at 1997 unfair terms in contracts regulations if its a consumer contract

For case law, look at thornton v. Shoe Lane parking which is the seminal case on the topic by Lord Denning, its reported online here:

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/1970/2.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement