Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All about Debs

Options
  • 27-05-2008 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Ok girls. Im too lazy this morning to search but maybe its been discussed already. I have my daughters Debs coming up this year and I need info. Best cars and cost? Great dresses and where? Whats the story with the house party? Was yours a great night or a disaster? Tell me ,good or bad experience...................:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Ok well for mine which was 3 years ago, we had people round to the house before, immediate family, parents close friends etc. My mum had various types of nibbles and drinks. I think she had the usual type of finger foods, sandwiches, sausage rolls, crisps, peanuts, carrot/celery sticks etc.

I didn't bother with a car, personally, I know it's fun and there's a thrill to getting a limo but I wouldn't waste the money, when buying my tickets for the Debs the cost of travelling on the bus with everyone else was included. When I think about it there was a group of 8 or so couples so it was nice for us all to be together on the bus.

I got my dress in Coast, it didn't seem to be as widely spread then. However, I doubt i'd do the same now. My dress was plain and simple and I love it. If you go to the Fashion and Appearance forum, there are plenty of threads that people have started asking about dresses for debs and 21sts, I do suggest that you take the time to thrawl through them, every week of so there's always a thread coming up about it.

My debs was a good night. The group of 8 of us were mostly in a relationship with boys from another school, their debs was the following night so it was quite crazy! Some bothered with 2 dresses but I knew I could get away with it and mine wasn't at all dirty etc. I felt their debs was better. was in an all girls school and we had so many different types of groups of friends that so many people disliked each other. I felt the 2nd night was better. I wish I could have a debs again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Lol, 1st of all. How far is the hotel from the school/your home?
    Ours was in navan and I'm from tullamore, so I went on the bus with all my friends. The L.C.A's took a limo to the hotel and the bus back. But the cost of the bus was included in the tickets.

Again, I love coast for dresses, but I got my dress in Lynzdel in tullamore. My fair lady (again in tullamore) have some nice dresses too. My dress cost 350. TBH you'd be better off going to a small enough dress shop as you don't want to get a dress half the class is wearing. Dresses i've gotten for going as a debs date cost between 120 (cheapest) and 250 (i think).

Houseparty- Nobody from my class had one as the bar in the hotel was open til 4:30am and it was a 2 hour drive home.
    I passed out on the bus, lost my shoes, my white gold diamond ring, corsage, and one of my nails, and my armani glasses. :/ So I think a houseparty would have been messy to say the least.
    My mum had to undress me at 7am that morning, and put me to bed. :o

Other debs i've been at, local hotel, kicked out at 2am. Back to a houseparty.
    Tis all a bit hazy.

My debs was great, absolutely savage. I don't remember a lot after the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Thanks girls. I will check out the F+Aforum. The tickets cost 200euro. She has 1 dress which cost 124 in Debenhams but she is not sure if it is THE ONE:confused:. The hotel is in meath and there is a bus from the school and back. The car would only be used from the house to the school about a mile away. I never had a debs because I left school when I was 14. It would be great if there was a debs for old girls who never had one. Id love that:)

Aww! 200euro for the tickets? Omg!
    Now I feel old. :( *In my daaaay!! they were 65 yoyo each*
    She'll know when she finds "the one", trust me.
    Does she have an idea of the colour? When is the debs?

I think mine were 75 each. I just don't get the point in spending money on a car for the sake of a mile kinda thing. each to their own anyway. Our school was in Bray and then the debs was in the Ambassador hotel in Kildare. The boys one was in the Red Cow Inn

I'd just love to have a debs again, I'd bring the right date and I'd make sure to make the most of it too!!

• Advertisement

Well, college balls are kinda like debs. :dance:

Yeah being in part time college sucks that way.. and my OH works full time :( so no college balls for me :(

jezza wrote: »
    She'll know when she finds "the one", trust me.
    Does she have an idea of the colour? When is the debs?
    Hi jezza, she thinks she wants orange:eek:. She has brown hair and eyes. The dress she has is "chocolate brown" and I think it is elegant and classy. I think its October? I was told to start looking early cos it can get frenzied if left too late. I just do as Im told:rolleyes:

i got my dress about 3 weeks before the debs and had spent the whole summer looking for something. my friend had a lovely orange dress, it was kind of sex on the beach colour if that makes sense?:confused:

Where are you living if you don't mind me asking? might be able to think of some places. there's a woman on F&A posting her bebo site about dresses she makes. i think it's www.bebo.com/dresswaterford.

So is it that because you didn't have a debs you want to make it as special for her as possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

€200 for the tickets! Wow, ours were €50 each back in ....2004....now I feel old. :(

I kept mine pretty simple tbh. At my house beforehand just had my date and his parents over for a little while and then we all went to my friend's house because she was having a big do. Lots of photos mostly, nibbles, champagne. Parents, neighbours, closely proximate relationships, those sort of people.

Didn't bother with a special car because her father is a taxi driver so we decided to arrive in his mini-bus instead (the three of us were/are best friends plus our dates...3 boys lined up sitting opposite their dates, it was hilarious!) becaus we knew no one else would! :D

Afterwards (around 2amish), we got a bus from the hotel to the local leisure complex for bowling and stayed there until around 5ish...Then went back to friends house for tea/sing song before trooping into town for the traditional morning-after-Debs breakfast in the first pub that opens in town. :)

For dresses, try small boutiques rather than bigger stores such as Debenhams/Coast...more likely not to have any one else in the same dress, then.

What a night. *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭mel(",)

i dont know what type of dress she wants but seen a wonderful cinderella style 1 in lauda in Navan about 2 weeks ago! mine was 2 years ago and if it was me now this dress was defo "the one" but i know a lot of girls now are going with more sexy slinky kinda of dresses than fairytale princess!!

me and my 2 friends and their dates got a limo, ours was in cavan and we live in louth/meath. think the cost was 250-350 a couple (not 100% sure!)

tickets were 150 for two!

dress was 350 dollars because i fell in love with one while on hols in NY

good places for dresses are lara on dame street, chico westbury mall..depending on how much you/she wants to spend. last year my cousin got a dress from tx maxx for 65 euro and she looked a million dollars!

for the evening of the debs my mam and dad had all our family,their friends and neighbours over and my mam just had some cakes,buns,finger food and some wine/alcohol/tea

in my opinion the crack at my house before i left was the best part, make sure your daughter if she is taking a male that she is 100% sure he wont f**k off on her or she has no misconceptions of "what might happen" between them! too many girls in the bathroom cried over this type of thing

i got my dress about 3 weeks before the debs and had spent the whole summer looking for something. my friend had a lovely orange dress, it was kind of sex on the beach colour if that makes sense?:confused:

Where are you living if you don't mind me asking? might be able to think of some places. there's a woman on F&A posting her bebo site about dresses she makes. i think it's www.bebo.com/dresswaterford.

So is it that because you didn't have a debs you want to make it as special for her as possible?
    Im in dublin 15 and yeah, I want her to have a really nice night. SHUSH, but she has a big bosom, not ginormous but 36dd and an awful lot of dresses are only for girls with little boobies. On good days she loves her boobs but on bad days she hates them. See, if she gets a dress to fit her boobs the waist and hips are huge, and she wont wear one with no straps. Hold up bras are useless on her.

what about getting a dress made for her then? that would make it even more special for her although i don't know how much it'd cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

jezza wrote: »
    You were born in 1988 so your debs was when - 2006? Wow, yes, you are old. It happens, the value of the euro more than triples in 20 months... or maybe it's because Dublin's so much more expensive than Offaly.
    €200 for the tickets! Wow, ours were €50 each back in ....2004....now I feel old. :(
    ALL THE WAY BACK IN 2004??!!:eek: An entire four years??!! A 25th of a century??!!
    Indeed, you've got good reason to feel old all right - I mean, 2004 may as well be 1960.

LOL at stupid statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

My debs was in 2004 and the tickets were €70 each, but I was on the debs committee and we got quotes from places that were far more expensive so it might not be that prices have sky-rocketed so much as the OP's school decided to go with somewhere quite fancy.

Julian in Stephen's Green Shopping Centre does some very nice dresses. I got mine there a whole year before my debs becasue I fell in love with it and knew I wasn't going to find anything I liked better.
    I also took a limo (Dublin to Meath) with three other couples. I can't remember the name of the company, I just rang a couple of places in the Golden Pages looking for the best quiote. In hindsight was probably a waste of money (about €150 per couple if memory serves) but it was a bit of fun and I'm unlikely to ever ride in a limo drinking champagne ever again so it's nice to have had the experience.

Im in dublin 15 and yeah, I want her to have a really nice night. SHUSH, but she has a big bosom, not ginormous but 36dd and an awful lot of dresses are only for girls with little boobies. On good days she loves her boobs but on bad days she hates them. See, if she gets a dress to fit her boobs the waist and hips are huge, and she wont wear one with no straps. Hold up bras are useless on her.
    Lucky girl, I want boobies :( ...

Anyway, surely the waist and hips wont matter b/c there will have to be alterations made on it anyway. Sizing just general, i mean not all size 8's have the same body shape, some have hips, some dont, some have boobs, some don't, so tweaking it will be needed anyway.

If the debs isn't til october you have loads of time. Are you going away during the summer? Maybe you'll get one abroad. Or if she has a clear idea of "the one" she could get it made. As far as I know, it isnt that expensive.

If shes getting tan done, make sure she goes to a beautican that actually knows how to apply it. Properly.

Dudess wrote: »
    You were born in 1988 so your debs was when - 2006? Wow, yes, you are old. It happens, the value of the euro more than triples in 20 months... or maybe it's because Dublin's so much more expensive than Offaly.

ALL THE WAY BACK IN 2004??!!:eek: An entire four years??!! A 25th of a century??!!
    Indeed, you've got good reason to feel old all right - I mean, 2004 may as well be 1960.

Lol, hitting 20 in a few months. Half way to 40, I think im entitled to feel old. :(
    And it was in Navan, not offaly.

"Halfway to 40" - that's the best reason I've ever heard for disproportionate feelings of getting old! Or for feeling "entitled" to feel old.
    You're ok a while yet, maybe when you're 70 you'll be entitled to feel old. Right now you're young, not even a bit young, but very young.

Well it was the same year I did my Leaving Cert and I've just finished college so now that I'm being cannonballed into the Real World (:eek:) I do feel older than others. *sigh*

And how come my tickets seem to work out the cheapest?! In Limerick city. Fair enough I can understand Dublin being dearer, but what the hell is with the insane prices?! That €50 included our dinner at the hotel, bar extension until 2amish, band, DJ until 3 or something, bus to leisure complex, and then bowling until 5/5.30 or something... The time's are all a bit hazy now. G'wan Limerick for being the cheapest for debs! :D

Meh, don't rush into joining the "real world" at all - you're what? 21 or 22? Madness. Do at least another year in college if you can, then go travelling. You're only a babby. The time to worry about growing up is years away for you yet.

• Advertisement

I didn't go to my debs.
    We were a foul shower of bitches in my school.
    Practically nobody would speak to anyone else outside of their little social catagory.
    I thought at the time that it was a ridiculous waste of money, only to spend the night looking at people sitting in corners bitching about each other.

My school didn't have a debs (apparently a bunch of girls got knocked up at one in the 80s and the brakes were put on them well into the 90s - fuppin' penguins...) but I went to a couple of lads' ones. Good laugh. Didn't see the huge deal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

@OP, Do any of your friends or relatives have a nice eye-catching car you could use for the spin up to the school? Any sort of BMW, SAAB, AUDI, etc when washed/waxed will look pretty good. It'll save you a few pound but still be a little bit special for your daughter. And dont be afraid to approach people about using their car, I did it for a few debs with my old car and I was always very flattered to be asked (my car was my pride and joy!). It'll only take a half hour out of their evening and most people would be more than willing to help as long as the car is available.

With regards to the dress, I think you just need a good seamstress. If your buying one 'off the rack' as they say get it so its comfy on her boobs and the rest can be taken in. If your getting it made its just a matter of being measured correctly. I would also recommend having a look online, if even just to show your daughter some possibilities. Ebay has some great stores that make to measure and have some amazing and unique dresses.

Like others have said, head over to F&A for ideas on the dress, you should find links to online sites along with references to homegrown stores.

Best of Luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Hiya!

I had the exact same problem when getting my dress last year....i had been to a debs the year before and the dress did nothing for my top half!!

I knew i would never find a shop bought one that i liked for my own debs, so i got my dress made to fit. I googled a few different styles and celeb dresses til i found something i liked...end up with a gold and green marylin monroe style, that was beautifully made and fit perfect....she's going to be in the dress all night, and there'll be tons of photos!!So, she's gonna want something that feels comfortable...the total cost including material and dressmakers costs was about €300, which was pretty good! And i also knew that no one else would have something even close to mine!

Theres still loads of time, id definetly recommend getting it made!

Thanks for all the replies girls. Getting the dress made is probably the best way to go. Money is no problem,thank goodness, although I have set limits, otherwise she would be off to New York or Milan:eek:. There will be drinks and food (lots of JD and Southie). I do think the cars are a waste of money though. She also has a boyfriend of 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im going to my friends debs in september and think the tickets are around 200 for 2.

my debs is in september 2009 and the qoutes so far go from 180 to around 250 for the tickets.

Meh, don't rush into joining the "real world" at all - you're what? 21 or 22? Madness. Do at least another year in college if you can, then go travelling. You're only a babby. The time to worry about growing up is years away for you yet.
    HAHAHA god, you are not old. I bet I am the oldest woman on boards. Im 48.:D

HAHAHA god, you are not old. I bet I am the oldest woman on boards. Im 48.:D
    :confused:Its all gone very quiet here:confused:

Right so, I'm only a young'un so... 21 and not 22 til the end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My debs was in the Shelbourne Hotel in 2004. It was a good enough night although I've had much better. I got my dress in Pamela Scott, they have a good range there. There's also a shop in Nutgrove Shopping Centre which do debs dresses, although that is probably too far away.

I got a limo at the last minute, was a waste of money. A lot of people just got the Luas from the school to the hotel.

I can't remember the cost but I don't remember it being as cheap as the others were saying it used to cost.

Advertisement