Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for TLL and BGRH

Options
  • 27-05-2008 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭

I was having a read through The Ladies Lounge and BGRH and noticed that there's an immense amount of post count whoring going on in both and the threads are comparable with The Cuckoos Nest, so how about making both like TCN in that posts there don't add to post count?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Tbh I dont think half of them even look at their postcounts. They are just busy communities and I dont think people are posting just for the sake of it. LIke you said over in tLL they are almost like chat rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It's hard to tell if they're posting for the sake of it or are genuinely just having a chat. However, Boards isn't a chat room and shouldn't be treated as such. If it's a forum then let it be ran as a forum, if they're looking for a chat room then they should get a sticky with a guide to mIRC and one of them sets up a channel there.

Those picture posting threads are god awful in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I have to agree with 6th I don't think anyone who activily posts in either the LL or BGRH are doing it to get their post count up they are just 2 very close knit community also I think you will find it is only 1 thread in the BGRH forum that distorts it. I don't see how any of the other threads differ in any way to the crap that is posted in AH and also neither of them are run like chat rooms they just have a threads where people can have a conversation but I don't think either people are actually looking for a chat room enviroment.

Also if it serves the purposes of what the people of the forum want what is the problem with that, so I would say rb if you don't like it just don't post in it there are plenty of other forums you could keep your spam to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Rb wrote: »
    I was having a read through The Ladies Lounge and BGRH and noticed that there's an immense amount of post count whoring going on in both and the threads are comparable with The Cuckoos Nest, so how about making both like TCN in that posts there don't add to post count?

How about you ask those in BGRH and TLL rather than coming in here and bitching about it? Or are you worried we are posting more than you? For that matter why do you care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I often post in the LL and BGRH. It's only recently that I have started though. I went through a time of not posting in BGRH as I thought they would all be talking about sport, cars and stuff. (I'm not into sport) But now I often pop into Yore Ma's and see who is around. I do find it a little slow sometimes, and also I think I am not really up on the kind of humour in the bar.

I have even had a few ticking offs! But all in all I find it good and it's good we guys are welcome in the Ladies Lounge and not excluded.

BTW my 1000th post was in Yore Ma's :pac:

• Advertisement

jsb wrote: »
    I don't see how any of the other threads differ in any way to the crap that is posted in AH and also neither of them are run like chat rooms they just have a threads where people can have a conversation but I don't think either people are actually looking for a chat room enviroment.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055183321

Note the title. You're active in that picture posting thread, it is nothing short of a "chat room environment".

"A/s/l"
    "21/F/Dublin"
    "Ooh, post pics"
    *user posts pics*
    "woooww you're hot!!!"
    "Thanks!!!"
    "I'm so hard right now"

Etc etc.

If such threads as "Lets have a chat!!" were posted anywhere else on Boards, even AH, it'd be locked/deleted fairly quickly. Even the KYN thread has a rule on "No chat even with a picture".
    jsb wrote:
    Also if it serves the purposes of what the people of the forum want what is the problem with that, so I would say rb if you don't like it just don't post in it

Rather not see Boards turned into the new Yahoo Chat or Bebo tbh.
    jsb wrote:
    there are plenty of other forums you could keep your spam to

Lols.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's hard to tell if they're posting for the sake of it or are genuinely just having a chat. However, Boards isn't a chat room and shouldn't be treated as such. If it's a forum then let it be ran as a forum, if they're looking for a chat room then they should get a sticky with a guide to mIRC and one of them sets up a channel there.

Eewww, look at you!
    Seriously, if it bothers you that much, don't go near the forum, pretend it doesn't exist and keep it off your subbed menu. Ignorance is bliss after all.
    I find that works for me anyways.

Boards isn't a chat room and shouldn't be treated as such.

Boards is different things to the different communities (or sub-communities). If we made people follow a strict format this place would suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not everyone is as obsessed with postcount as you, tbh.
    If such threads as "Lets have a chat!!" were posted anywhere else on Boards, even AH, it'd be locked/deleted fairly quickly. Even the KYN thread has a rule on "No chat even with a picture".

Meh, different mods, different forum, different rules.

You don't like it, nobody is forcing you to read it.
    Rather not see Boards turned into the new Yahoo Chat or Bebo tbh.
    Oh, sorry lads. Rb doesn't want it a certain way. Boards is only for him, after all.

He's right, we should change everything, for him.

:rolleyes:

Lads you've arent making yourself look any better by just attacking Rb. How about saying why you think its a bad idea rather than telling him to fcuk off and not read the forums?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'd like it officially recognised that I care even less about the contents of this thread than I do about the inane content of some of the LL threads.

Oh Jesus, Jesus, some posters might HAVE A HIGHER POST COUNT THAN ME!!!

OH JESUS!!!

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHELP ME!!!!!

How about you ask those in BGRH and TLL rather than coming in here and bitching about it?

Why would I do that? You do realise this is Feedback, right?
    From the "HOW THIS FORUM WORKS!!" thread, you'll read the following from DeV
    Its the place where you feedback to us what you like (or dislike) about the site.

And that is what I'm doing, providing feedback. Get it?
    Or are you worried we are posting more than you? For that matter why do you care?

Could care who's posting more or less than me. I've compared the two (BGRH to a much lesser extent though) to TCN, in that it's for a bit of craic etc. TCN has post count disabled to prevent post count whoring, I'm merely suggesting that the same thing be done for those two forums, for the same reason.

Why do you appear so offended at this suggestion?

6th wrote: »
    Lads you've arent making yourself look any better by just attacking Rb. How about saying why you think its a bad idea rather than telling him to fcuk off and not read the forums?

This is feedback I though we were just supposed to attack;) However, I don't think it's a good idea, why? Because I don't see that it matters! If we are going to go down that road why not remove post count completely? Why have it one way on some forums and not on others, as for TCN I don't post there and have no comment on wether posts there should count or not, just as the OP doesn't post in the BGRH bar thread so why should his view on it be relevant!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Eewww, look at you!
    Seriously, if it bothers you that much, don't go near the forum, pretend it doesn't exist and keep it off your subbed menu. Ignorance is bliss after all.
    I find that works for me anyways.
    Boards is different things to the different communities (or sub-communities). If we made people follow a strict format this place would suck.
    +1

lol :p

beercatfeelsm128563543816851436.jpg

Why do you appear so offended at this suggestion?

See my previous post, I'm not offended, I just don't think it's a relevant point, if you want to go down that road why have post counts at all?

See my previous post, I'm not offended, I just don't think it's a relevant point, if you want to go down that road why have post counts at all?

Because without it, he wouldn't be able to swing his e-mickey around feedback.

DesF wrote: »
    Not everyone is as obsessed with postcount as you, tbh.

DesF wrote:
    Oh, sorry lads. Rb doesn't want it a certain way. Boards is only for him, after all.

He's right, we should change everything, for him.

Does anyone want Boards to be turned into the next Bebo or Yahoo Chat? Really? I know you might, given your interest in 17 year old girls, but I mean overall?

Because without it, he wouldn't be able to swing his e-mickey around feedback.

Ahh I see! Colour me intimidated :rolleyes:

Does anyone want Boards to be turned into the next Bebo or Yahoo Chat? Really? I know you might, given your interest in 17 year old girls, but I mean overall?

You're a funny bloke Rb. Srsly.

This is feedback I though we were just supposed to attack;)

Sorry, I dont know what I was thinking!
    However, I don't think it's a good idea, why? Because I don't see that it matters!

You're right, it doesnt matter. It doesnt matter to the site in general and as I said at the start of this thread I dont think it matters to the users of those forums.

Its chat, banter, etc. Boards is not about just making posts that change the world. Its about community and people like to talk ... thats why this site is so successful, just look at the amount of social events we have.

• Advertisement

Seriously DesF and RB, I aint even distinguishing between who's writing what now.

This is feedback I though we were just supposed to attack;) However, I don't think it's a good idea, why? Because I don't see that it matters! If we are going to go down that road why not remove post count completely?Why have it one way on some forums and not on others, as for TCN I don't post there and have no comment on wether posts there should count or not, just as the OP doesn't post in the BGRH bar thread so why should his view on it be relevant!

Oh, I'd gladly see post count removed entirely to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Sorry, I dont know what I was thinking!

You're right, it doesnt matter. It doesnt matter to the site in general and as I said at the start of this thread I dont think it matters to the users of those forums.

Its chat, banter, etc. Boards is not about just making posts that change the world. Its about community and people like to talk ... thats why this site is so successful, just look at the amount of social events we have.
    *pushes cat out of the way*
    ahem.
    i agree 6th,when i snuck into bgrh they made me feel more at home on boards, and thus my love for boards blossomed. i post everywhere and anywhere but i always go back to bgrh to see how a few posters are getting on, or sometimes direct them to interesting threads.
    or i just go in and have a laugh with them

stop making the internet more serious business than it already is :(

And you know what?

The owners love that, they love the community spirit, they love the fact that people meet up because of Boards, they are gobsmacked by the communities that have grown up because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I can only assume this is in relation to my posting in there RB. After all, you even went out of your way to point out in one thread how many times i had posted in it.

I'm unsure as to what your issue is, or why post count is even an issue to begin with. I thought it was well established by now that post count doesn't mean squat?

Anyway, if you had been "reading" the pic threads as opposed to just scanning them as i assume you did then i think you would have seen the part where we actually discussed it ourselves. The general conclusions was that we really enjoyed the pics threads because they felt more like a chat than anything else and allowed us all to get to know each other and even make a lot of the new folk feel a LOT more comfortable about going to any Beers or events.

I may be missing the mark, but you have been going out of your way to point out my activity levels and also brand me as "sleazy". I am all up for a nice joke, but please point out a "sleazy" comment that i made, and if you could find something that i said that put another poster out then i would be very, very surprised.

Last time i checked, if the Mods in TLL had any issue with what i am posting, or anyone else for that matter, they would have happily pointed it out to me.

And you know what?

The owners love that, they love the community spirit, they love the fact that people meet up because of Boards, they are gobsmacked by the communities that have grown up because of it.
    You don't say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

:rolleyes: Oh noes, ze post counts is too hai!!! Get a life!!!

You don't say?

Yes I do.

Your "suggestion" has been pilloried so far.

I see from Dragan's post, that this more of a personal crusade than anything else.

Don't cry now.

I iz in ur forum incresin mai post count!

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    I can only assume this is in relation to my posting in there RB. After all, you even went out of your way to point out in one thread how many times i had posted in it.

I'm unsure as to what your issue is, or why post count is even an issue to begin with. I thought it was well established by now that post count doesn't mean squat?

Anyway, if you had been "reading" the pic threads as opposed to just scanning them as i assume you did then i think you would have seen the part where we actually discussed it ourselves. The general conclusions was that we really enjoyed the pics threads because they felt more like a chat than anything else and allowed us all to get to know each other and even make a lot of the new folk feel a LOT more comfortable about going to any Beers or events.

I may be missing the mark, but you have been going out of your way to point out my activity levels and also brand me as "sleazy". I am all up for a nice joke, but please point out a "sleazy" comment that i made, and if you could find something that i said that put another poster out then i would be very, very surprised.

Last time i checked, if the Mods in TLL had any issue with what i am posting, or anyone else for that matter, they would have happily pointed it out to me.
    Nah man, I didn't have anyone in particular in mind when posting the thread, sorry if it appears that it's targetted at you but it's really not!

Ah yeah sure we're all aware post count means squat, the only issue problem is when people start posting merely to get their post count up, including random two/three word sentences etc. Now I'm definitely not targetting you with that, I know you're just playing the numbers game on TLL :p I know Sherifu will read this and think it's about him too, but it's not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement