Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for TLL and BGRH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Rb wrote: »
    Wrong.

Also, why would it be an unpopular change if noone cares about post counts? Is that to say, those reacting negatively towards it care about post counts? Or are you saying that you care about post counts and are presuming they do too?

Personally I don't give a crap about post counts. Take them away and it wouldn't really bother me

What I would like to know is why do you care about post counts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Can we get this re-opened please?
    You should probably stop trying to stirr shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Degsy wrote: »
    Okay.The tone of the thread was offensive from the get-go..calling people "attention whores","suggesting" the disabling of the post count for these fora simply because he didnt,in his superior way feel anything of substance was being said there.I really wonder how the admins at boards ran anything before he arrived with all his "suggestions".
    This is exactly it.

He doesn't participate, he doesn't "get" it, so he deems it useless posts.

His high-and-mighty attitude stinks tbh, there's no reason for it.

He seems to think he's some kind of uber-boardsie, with his 10k posts.

Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Okay.The tone of the thread was offensive from the get-go..calling people "attention whores","suggesting" the disabling of the post count for these fora simply because he didnt,in his superior way feel anything of substance was being said there.I really wonder how the admins at boards ran anything before he arrived with all his "suggestions".

Fair enough with what you say but if the regular user never made suggestions then the site would never have developed as much as it has.

I just don't see the problem with it because there would be no fuss made if someone else had of suggested it. It would have been debated in a nice friendly manner. And you know that as well as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Also, why would it be an unpopular change if noone cares about post counts? Is that to say, those reacting negatively towards it care about post counts? Or are you saying that you care about post counts and are presuming they do too?

Ahem, because removing the addition to post counts is done to prevent post whoring. People don't like being called post whores. You know this of course and you are getting exactly the reaction you expected/wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

But seriously folks.

Walk into any pub anywhere in Ireland and you are going to hear random chat about everything from aardvarks to zimmerframes (no offence, Zaph).

The bar thread in particular, I feel, has captured that element of Irish society, where a person can drop in and talk about any imaginable subject, within the constraints of what is acceptable in such an environment. Yes, it is silly, yes it is a pretend bar, with pretend drinks and pretend bar staff, but I have lost count of the number of drinks I have spluttered out while reading/contributing to that thread.

As for other threads, they are much the same. There is some general wandering of the topics, but we (the mods) do whip them back into shape fairly regularly.

So is it turning into a chat room? Yes, it possibly is, but so what? I don't see what it has to do with postcount. Random chat does that to your postcount, and I know for a fact postcount is not important to anyone in BGRH, having the craic is.

BGRH is, by it's very nature, a very laid back forum, with very light moderation. This, I think, stimulates the chat element. So I again, ask, what is the problem with that?

People are not posting with one eye on their postcount, they are posting because they feel part of a humourous, lecherous, self-mocking community.

Tom Dunne wrote: »

People are not posting with one eye on their postcount, they are posting because they feel part of a humourous, lecherous, self-mocking community.

Amen to that.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Meh

People who are bothered by their Post count Really are bored little people,
    dont get me wrong, Recently posts, such as Rb's "10000 thanks" threads Are Nice, as it shows people that do want to give back to the comunity and Site. However People who post Just to get there post count up, really dont give to the site on a whole.

Things like the BGRH Bar thread, Is just a bit of fun. If it effected Post count, it wouldnt Bother me in the slightest. Postcounts really only bother me on Adverts, where if i saw something advertised at a great price, by 2 posters, with one having 12 posts, and the other having 1000 posts, I'd be more inclined to Go with the 1000 posts user.

should Private Forums count towards Post count? I dont think so

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Also....

Post count +1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I just don't see the problem with it because there would be no fuss made if someone else had of suggested it. It would have been debated in a nice friendly manner. And you know that as well as I do.

yes but that is the problem if the original point hadn't been an attack then the thread would have developed differently. But RB came on here with an agenda to attack and so the thread developed like that.

So of course if someone else had posted with a view to having a debate the thread would of gone differently, but RB decided to start a thread by attacking the posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

DesF wrote: »

Clown.
    Ruu is the uber boardsie,thou shalt not have strange uber boardsies before him :p
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    But seriously folks.

Walk into any pub anywhere in Ireland and you are going to hear random chat about everything from aardvarks to zimmerframes (no offence, Zaph).

The bar thread in particular, I feel, has captured that element of Irish society, where a person can drop in and talk about any imaginable subject, within the constraints of what is acceptable in such an environment. Yes, it is silly, yes it is a pretend bar, with pretend drinks and pretend bar staff, but I have lost count of the number of drinks I have spluttered out while reading/contributing to that thread.

As for other threads, they are much the same. There is some general wandering of the topics, but we (the mods) do whip them back into shape fairly regularly.

So is it turning into a chat room? Yes, it possibly is, but so what? I don't see what it has to do with postcount. Random chat does that to your postcount, and I know for a fact postcount is not important to anyone in BGRH, having the craic is.

BGRH is, by it's very nature, a very laid back forum, with very light moderation. This, I think, stimulates the chat element. So I again, ask, what is the problem with that?

^what he said, Tom has summed it up wonderfully.

as for the whole fighting with Rb just because its Rb, well, not from me anyway, i actually like the guy, his is possibly the first thing on boards i havent agreed with him on that im aware of.

and thaed is right about one thing the post count is useful,in so much as you can tell if someone is a good poster,has been very active etc etc

Why suggest it then.

To summarise it in short, to deter the behaviour that comes about when posters actively try to up their post counts.
    DesF wrote:
    Look dude, you've gotten what you wanted, a bit of attention.
    :rolleyes:

Yes, this bizarre hostility from people I've never interacted with before is exactly what I was aiming to achieve.

I'd have thought that people, particularly fully grown men, wouldn't get upset and start flinging insults over something as little as a feature of an internet forum. Obviously I was mistaken.
    DesF wrote:
    I'm out of this thread after this post.

Lol.
    DesF wrote:
    It wasn't clear from the start that you weren't having a go at me.
    Here, read this
    It's an attack on everyone who posts in these forums, you say now that it isn't, but I don't believe you.

It's an attack on those who actively try to up their post counts for the purposes of having a larger "e-penis". This obviously doesn't apply to those who don't parttake in such activities (i.e the overwhelming majority of posters on the site). If you consider yourself a post count whore and are therefore offended by my suggestion of preventing your behaviour, then that's your problem. If you don't consider yourself one, then you shouldn't be offended by it. Simple as really.
    DesF wrote:
    You don't post there, they have zero to do with you, so why do you care?

Um, so what if I don't post there?
    DesF wrote:
    Do you think it would make Boards run better?

Only one way to find out, eh?
    DesF wrote:
    If so, then please explain why, because otherwise, it's just attention seeking, well done, you've succeeded, again

:rolleyes:

While I agree with the OP (albeit to a certain extent when I read the threads in question this morning) I cannot see anything being done about it

Waste of a thread started and read tbh

This is exactly it.

He doesn't participate, he doesn't "get" it, so he deems it useless posts.

His high-and-mighty attitude stinks tbh, there's no reason for it.

Clown.

Ah, more insults. Well done, really, resorting to petty insults over a feature of an internet forum when you're a fully grown man...well, it takes a special kind to do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Then why so immediately hostile to him over what was a genuine query?

Clearly you have some preformed misconception of him considering you quoted his 'Thank You' thread.

No.He posts ALL OVER the place.Its hard NOT To see a thread that he's started in feedback,generally looking for some soprt of special treatment for himself.I saw some of his posts and decided to add my contribution and next thing he's accusing me of stalking him.You're acusing thjis guy of something similar because he posted in another thread..c'mon,the ****..if you publish that quantity of(IMO),errant tripe,you're going to get critiscism from other users like it or not.Take Pighead for example,he posts all over the place,piss-taking and having a laugh..he doesnt get uppity and start imagining conspiricies because people are responding to his inflammatory posts.If you dont want people getting upset,dont insult them!

I'd advise everyone just to ignore that and not respond to it. For those of you who don't know, he's been at this for weeks, constantly trying to cause trouble. The admins have intervened, a solution was found and an agreement made. He hasn't been able to keep to his side of it and has sought to cause more trouble, so by responding to him you're only doing exactly what he wants you to do i.e giving him the attention and the trouble he is seeking here.

I've let the admins know and they'll deal with him in their own time, but for now, for the sake of the thread/everyone involved, just ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'd advise everyone just to ignore that and not respond to it. For those of you who don't know, he's been at this for weeks, constantly trying to cause trouble. The admins have intervened, a solution was found and an agreement made. He hasn't been able to keep to his side of it and has sought to cause more trouble, so by responding to him you're only doing exactly what he wants you to do i.e giving him the attention and the trouble he is seeking here.

I've let the admins know and they'll deal with him in their own time, but for now, for the sake of the thread/everyone involved, just ignore him.

Ok boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No.He posts ALL OVER the place.Its hard NOT To see a thread that he's started in feedback,generally looking for some soprt of special treatment for himself.I saw some of his posts and decided to add my contribution and next thing he's accusing me of stalking him.You're acusing thjis guy of something similar because he posted in another thread..c'mon,the ****..if you publish that quantity of(IMO),errant tripe,you're going to get critiscism from other users like it or not.Take Pighead for example,he posts all over the place,piss-taking and having a laugh..he doesnt get uppity and start imagining conspiricies because people are responding to his inflammatory posts.If you dont want people getting upset,dont insult them!
    My finger slipped.

Sir,yes sir.

Again with the trying to tell people how to use boards.

You are an obsessed person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

so by responding to him you're only doing exactly what he wants you to do i.e giving him the attention and the trouble he is seeking here.

Nice, you must actually be laughing when typing this stuff.

I do enjoy the postage :D

Sir,yes sir.
    Ah come on now, it's just a suggestion as there's been absolute mayhem recently due to the person in question on threads in feedback. Just trying to prevent that happening, yet again, is all. It's unneccessary and we don't need another thread on it tbh.

it's just a suggestion

How about you keep your suggestions to yourself.

You use boards how you want to use it, let everyone else do the same.

Boards survived without your "suggestions" for years, I think you'll find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

How about you stfu

+1

Again with the trying to tell people how to use boards.

You are an obsessed person.
    Have you read feedback regularly over the past few weeks? Have you not seen how many threads he's dragged down with this shít?

Well, forgive me for wanting to avoid completely derailing the thread and having it descend into another mess for the admins to deal with.

Oh and what happened to you being done with the thread? Grow the f*ck up.

Have you read feedback regularly over the past few weeks? Have you not seen how many threads he's dragged down with this shít?

Haven't seem him post any more or less than anyone else tbh.

Well, forgive me for wanting to avoid completely derailing the thread and having it descend into another mess for the admins to deal with.
    You made the mess.
    Oh and what happened to you being done with the thread? Grow the f*ck up.

Again he's at it, telling others how to use boards.

Well, for your information, mister, I changed my mind.

Perhaps you might "suggest", in yet another thread, that people are held to every single post they make, is that what you'd like?

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

Are you looking for a gold star from the admins or what? It's not your problem.

Haven't seem him post any more or less than anyone else tbh.

Rofl.
    DesF wrote:
    You made the mess.

Sorry, who's the one who arrived into the thread and started throwing their toys out of the pram? That's right, you. It could have went pretty smoothly if it weren't for people such as yourself having a hissy fit over a f*cking forum feature suggestion and resorting to childish name calling/acting in a bizarrely hostile manner towards someone you've never interacted with on the site.
    DesF wrote:
    Again he's at it, telling others how to use boards.

Well, for your information, mister, I changed my mind.

Perhaps you might "suggest", in yet another thread, that people are held to every single post they make, is that what you'd like?

No I just think it's pretty funny. You act like a child and then announce you're not coming back, then you come back to stick the finger in it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

For someone who tells people they're taking an internet forum too seriously, he seems to take it pretty seriously himself.
    Also, for someone who complains about receiving hostility, he seems well able to throw insults around himself.

For someone who thinks post counts are unimportant, he seems obsessed with having the count of others limited to issues he feels worthy.

For someone purporting to see the way forward for this forum, he seems to have a remarkably poor grasp of what some people get from participating here.

Sorry, but to me this just smacks of megalomania with a large dash of early 20's self-obsession thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Are you looking for a gold star from the admins or what? It's not your problem.

nah it's pretty much rb's general way of doing stuff. he trolls and then pretends to be hollier then thou,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement