Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol/ Diesel Protests in England

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Just caught this on Sky News this morning. Loads of truckers heading into London.

Do you think anything will happen here? Would it make a difference?

140.9 for diesel in what is normally the cheapest garage in Kildare last night :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I can't see it making a difference here... We've been getting cheap fuel for a while now... Look at the historical prices on the contenent, I dont know what they are at the moment but they were usually up in the 1.40+ per litre for the last number of years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Boots09

I wouldnt be surprised if it happens but cant see it making a difference the way things are going!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

everyone in ireland should stop going to work for a couple of days in protest. that would cost the state millions. look at the train drivers..they want extra pay they dont go to work..they usually get what they want. same goes for motorists, they should protest and protest hard. english people usually do tho, irish people are as soft as ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Everything in Ireland is going up, except wages. Something has to give :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

About time someone took a stand........

The road hauliers association here talk, and talk, and talk, and might go on a go slow.

But its blocking up every big City in the country and taking the government to task over the fuel crisis that would open debate and discussion.

• Advertisement

The AA wanted to know why the diesel prices were going up so fast. Yeah that'll get it sorted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

More pain on the way - Maxol diesel now 153.94 a litre wholesale!
    http://www.maxol.ie/schedule_sheets/maxol_price_schedule_331.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

What is a protest supposed to achieve?

Petrol/Diesel are not going up as a result of tax increases, and protesting against private companies due to their pricing policy is pointless. If you don't like the price of something then don't buy it, that's the best form of protest. Of course, we've become so dependant as a species on oil, that there is no chance of enough people refusing to buy it to make any difference whatsoever.

The people who own the oil are charging more, and more, and more, and there ain't nothing you can do about it. A litre of petrol will probably be 2 euro within 3 years, and that's nowhere near the end of the increases.

Litre of Diesel will be €2 before the end of the year at this rate.

abolish excise duty immediately or the country will go belly up, bottom line. so the goverment are making 45 cent per litre of petrol and 37 cent per litre diesel LOL, its an absolute disgrace

• Advertisement

Westwood wrote: »
    abolish excise duty immediately or the country will go belly up, bottom line. so the goverment are making 45 cent per litre of petrol and 37 cent per litre diesel LOL, its an absolute disgrace

If they abolish duty on petrol/diesel, they will have to make up the tax take somewhere else. You will still be hit in the pocket, will the fact that it's not from buying petrol/diesel make you feel any better?

It certainly needs to be cut, no chance of it being abolished. What ever about filling a car, can't imagine what it costs to fill a truck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Is fuel duty a % of the price or a set amount per litre, so if petrol goes to 2 euro a litre will the tax intake still be the same of will it increase proportionatly. Anyone know?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

spockety wrote: »
    If they abolish duty on petrol/diesel, they will have to make up the tax take somewhere else. You will still be hit in the pocket, will the fact that it's not from buying petrol/diesel make you feel any better?

It will not make me feel any better, as I personally don’t use my car much. but the people who rely on cars, trucks, vans buses, taxi's.. to earn a living do. This is their livelihood there only source of income and increasing oil prices astronomically will only lead them to hike up and pass on new prices to the consumer. so nobody wins its a vicious circle that the government needs to address and removing excise duty on oil is the only way forward. I feel. as they cant stop the prices at source.

Is fuel duty a % of the price or a set amount per litre, so if petrol goes to 2 euro a litre will the tax intake still be the same of will it increase proportionatly. Anyone know?

It is a set amount.. about 42 cent a litre.

But VAT is charged on the petrol after that has been added, so it will increase the tax take proportionally to the base price + duty.

Westwood wrote: »
    It will not make me feel any better, as I personally don’t use my car much. but the people who rely on cars, trucks, vans buses, taxi's.. to earn a living do. This is their livelihood there only source of income and increasing oil prices astronomically will only lead them to hike up and pass on new prices to the consumer. so nobody wins its a vicious circle that the government needs to address and removing excise duty on oil is the only way forward. I feel. as they cant stop the prices at source.

But they will have to make up the tax take somewhere, you will still get hit in the pocket.

I agree with you that yes, people who's business depends on oil will have to pass on the cost of that fuel to the customer, there is no other way around it.

The world is going to have to get used to the idea that things are going to change over the next few decades. Things like imported food will not be standard buys any more.. we are going to have to rely more and more on local produce in order for the things we take for granted today to remain affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Ay Cee wrote: »
    The AA wanted to know why the diesel prices were going up so fast. Yeah that'll get it sorted :rolleyes:

+1

yeah, the posh nonce Conor Faulkner will go air talking shioteee for ages on any station.......but nothing ever happends cfrom the AA but lobbying here and send a letter there.........useless organisation.

Westwood is right. Your hit at the pump for your car. Then as it affects the hauliers, they have to put up their prices and ultimately you end up being hit again in the long run.

+1

yeah, the posh nonce Conor Faulkner will go air talking shioteee for ages on any station.......but nothing ever happends cfrom the AA but lobbying here and send a letter there.........useless organisation.

"OURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR members tell us..."

I've nothing against the AA, but I've never heard of them ever achieving anything.
    All it is, is a soap box for Conor Faulkner. They have all these questions/ issues. But what ever happens as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

French are demanding VAT cuts for petrol prices:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/text/world/mhgbmhgbojau/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I'd be interested to find out what kind of take-home € figure for the GVT we're looking at, in any given period (day/week/month)? Must be some '0s even per day, at a SWAG.

[troll]And people thought the VRT was a scam![/troll] :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

More pain on the way - Maxol diesel now 153.94 a litre wholesale!
    http://www.maxol.ie/schedule_sheets/maxol_price_schedule_331.html

Assuming a 10c markup, does that mean €1.65 for diesel and €1.47 for unleaded? Holee crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Ay Cee wrote: »
    I've nothing against the AA, but I've never heard of them ever achieving anything.
    All it is, is a soap box for Conor Faulkner. They have all these questions/ issues. But what ever happens as a result.

The AA is a private organization - they are out for their own interests and not that of the motorist.

There is no motorist lobby group in ireland - hence the never ending taxes lumped on them. Without an motoring organization, is it any wonder things are the way they are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only thing that could work (but not at a political level) is to refund some of the VAT, after all the government makes more as prices rise. But I'd say there are two chances of this happening and one of them is fat.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

By the end of the year I bet my life petrol and diesal will both be over 1.85 per litre which for me means an absolute abolishment of my car and getting that Aprilia motorcycle I always wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

So people are claiming rip off ireland, even though our petrol is considerably cheaper than most of europe's (including the UK)?

"gas" prices up about 300-400% in the Us over the last 18 months. Now thats criminal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No thats karma! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Dodge wrote: »
    So people are claiming rip off ireland

Are they? I thought 'people were claiming rip off' GVT levy on fuel everywhere :pac:

I believe the main issue is somewhat similar to VRT (in principle, please do not start on/about VRT): since VAT is a % and is calculated on fuel € plus levy €, the (% x levy €) portion in effect constitutes a double taxation, which still rises in proportion to fuel € increases.

EDIT - LOL @ Mike65's :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Maybe we should all just use public transport...

6751_rolleyes.gif

Advertisement