Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol/ Diesel Protests in England

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yes.
    And a policy to support hybrid/electric/multifuel cars and conversions.
    As part of the NCT, the owner should be told what fuel/powerplant options are open.

A industry-led standardisation of car-parts/mountings/interfaces to some degree would help facilitate modularisation.

Maybe we should all just use public transport...

6751_rolleyes.gif

Yeah I think so. Pity buses have to run on diesel too. Me thinks CIE will have the begging bowl out to the government to ask the gov to increase fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

mondeo wrote: »
    By the end of the year I bet my life petrol and diesal will both be over 1.85 per litre which for me means an absolute abolishment of my car and getting that Aprilia motorcycle I always wanted.
    Wouldn't bet my life (a 10er maybe:p), but i'm afraid it'll be at least 2 per litre :(

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

Maybe we should all just use public transport...
    is there any one could use?:rolleyes:

What kind of fuel economy do you get from a bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What kind of fuel economy do you get from a bike?
    10 km per breakfast roll? (I'm assuming you mean pedal bike :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

They should be reducing VAT on all fuel. It seems though that the Greens want to increase duty on fuel as agreed when forming the coalition government:mad:

Who is going to put pressure on this government? Irish consumers won't say boo and will just bend over again!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I heard 64% or there abouts mentioned on the radio as the governments cut from fuel prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Yeah I think that's back to what one poster said. 40 something per litre and then the VAT.

So based on that the Gov are getting off roughly a litre costing €1.40 90c.

That is disgusting. Worse even than the bloody guys from the Gulf and what there making out of it.

So yeah keep shouting about wage restraint while you force the country into recession.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Interesting suggestions there lads.:rolleyes:

Ye're saying that he gov should cut their take from the litre of fuel. However the Arabs and the oil companies can continue to take their increasing takes from the litre of fuel.

So will the Arabs go and make up the revenue shortfall or will they just spend it on themselves ? Will Maxol go and give us all a few bob ?

I doubt it. Remember the time the Government dropped VAT from 21 to 20% ? Remember how few retailers bothered to pass on the rate cut ?

parsi wrote: »
    Interesting suggestions there lads.:rolleyes:

Ye're saying that he gov should cut their take from the litre of fuel. However the Arabs and the oil companies can continue to take their increasing takes from the litre of fuel.

So will the Arabs go and make up the revenue shortfall or will they just spend it on themselves ? Will Maxol go and give us all a few bob ?

I doubt it. Remember the time the Government dropped VAT from 21 to 20% ? Remember how few retailers bothered to pass on the rate cut ?

So your saying we shouldn't force our own Government as they are the only ones who will listen not the Arabs to lower there tax cut.

So it's not a good idea then and your against it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ay Cee wrote: »
    The AA wanted to know why the diesel prices were going up so fast. Yeah that'll get it sorted :rolleyes:
    The Chinese are buying up huge amounts of Diesel commodities and futures on the world energy markets in order to to get their Olympics Stadia in place.

Ban the Olympics I say; It's about as relevant as a Eurovision Song Contest with tracksuits to most of us.

We're already paying 70%+ duty to the government for road diesel. That's enough of a buffer to allow us to be cut some slack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

The people over here aren't really into protest. they are not really into democracy either, they would rather have someone else organise everything for them.

Especially in Dublin, people would much rather pay the 80 euro to have their clamp removed, sit in their car, maybe complain to Joe Duffy who will say "ah, look thats terrible I feel so sorry for you" and then continue to pay the new inflated prices.

@alun - you can get more than 10km per breakfast roll. maybe 20 on one breakfast roll and a litre of tap water which thankfully still costs nothing. but the Dubs waste too much water so us culchies will probably have to pay for it in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I’ve only scanned through this thread.
    The government could abolish the customs duty they are charging for every litre as that’d be a massive shortfall. And let’s face it, the petrol station and wholesale suppliers would up their price to take advantage.

Price is up and private motorists will just have to deal with it.
    Would a tax rebate to hauliers, commercial drivers, farmers, etc be possible? I’d imagine it’d be easy enough to implement and they can wait until December to get any rebates organized.

I don’t know what the price of fuel is in France, but the French sure know how to protest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Government has to find money somewhere. Perhaps if they didn't let striking train drivers away with blue murder we might be able to afford tax cuts.

And the Greens want a Carbon levy = more tax on fuel.

FF don't seem to have a problem with it either...IIRC our resident FFer ninty9er staunchly defended the idea here before.

As noted earlier the Government taxes diesel by 6 cent less per litre than they tax petrol, so that isn't going to last for too much longer with the changes to VRT from July.

I drove through Douglas in Cork today. The Shell Garage(opposite Douglas shopping centre) was displaying 131.9 for a litre of petrol and 143.9 for a litre of diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

E92 wrote: »

And the Greens want a Carbon levy = more tax on fuel.

As if oil at $135 per barrel was'nt incentive enough for people to use less fuel. Slapping on another tax will just add to peoples pain and not have much of an effect. I hate the greenies. Red communists in disguise, they smite anyone that dares question how dangerous all this carbon is. Load of crap.

If fuel rates keep rising the Gov should consider cutting the VAT rate on fuel, as its a percentage and so they get more the higher the price....

$130 a barrel today as the dollar is climbing again slightly.

I'd be amazed if it didn't hit $200 a barrel by the end of the year tbh.

Americans are ditching their SUVs and buying "small"(small for them of course) cars.

This is very bad news for the big three in Detroit because they lose money on their small cars and have to rely on their SUVs to make them money, while European and Japanese manufacturers are able to make money on their small cars.

People do use their cars when it really isn't necessary. There's no need to use your car to drop kids to school half a mile away. Same goes for going to the shop a few minutes up the road.

Besides that it's very bad for cars to be driving them for short journeys.

Of course if we had a punctual, frequent and reliable public transport service I would also add if you're going somewhere that's well served by public transport that you should use that more often too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

People do use their cars when it really isn't necessary. There's no need to use your car to drop kids to school half a mile away. Same goes for going to the shop a few minutes up the road.

Besides that it's very bad for cars to be driving them for short journeys.

Not picking or anything now but some of us simply have no choice but to use their cars for those short journeys :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'd be amazed if it didn't hit $200 a barrel by the end of the year tbh.
    I'd say September myself. With petrol and diesel set to go up a further 10c a litre in the next week or so we could be looking at €2 a litre very soon.

vectra wrote: »
    Not picking or anything now but some of us simply have no choice but to use their cars for those short journeys :(
    I appreciate that not everyone has the option of not using their car and indeed quite often is the case when it's the only option worth doing, but plenty of people do use them when need to, especially city dwellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Radley

AFAIC, there's a commodities bubble playing itself out.

I reckon we'll be back to $100/$110 within 6 months.

That should give car users a bit of respite to consider their long-term plans (it's not like you weren't warned before).

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

So your saying we shouldn't force our own Government as they are the only ones who will listen not the Arabs to lower there tax cut.

So it's not a good idea then and your against it ?

Yep.

If the gov reduce the tax YOU pay per litre then they will have to recover it via some other method. Meanwhile Mr Oil Producer gets his higher price and higher profits.

Oil is a commodity. The production costs are close to static, the selling price is exhorbitant. The profit is being made by the producers. The producers control how much they produce. The Gov doesn't control how much is produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

parsi wrote: »
    Yep.

If the gov reduce the tax YOU pay per litre then they will have to recover it via some other method. Meanwhile Mr Oil Producer gets his higher price and higher profits.

Perhaps the government could start by reducing the amount they need to recover, by not wasting billions of taxpayer's money on such extravagances as e-voting machines and infrastructure projects that over run budgets by several orders of magnitude. That, of course, would require the same level of professionalism and accountability as applied by the private sector, so it isn't going to happen. Mr. oil producer may be coining it at the moment, but is it not true that the government gets more profit out of a litre of fuel than the producers, oil companies, and retailers do by some margin? The current regime of excise duty upon which VAT is charged is downright fraudulent IMHO. There should be NO excise duty on anything -- it'a not "duty", it's tax. End of.

Advertisement