Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Hi,

i moved into a house in Jan and paid a deposit of €240.

there was no miniumum lenght of stay or contract or anything like that.

I am planning to move out in the next 2 months or so.

As this is the first time i have lived out of home I am not sure whether when i move out i get my deposit back or not?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

From what you say it sounds as thought you're sharing a place with others. The process normally is that you need to find someone to replace you, and subject to this you will get your deposit back.

Of course it's wise to involve the people you share with in this. First ask them about it. They may well want to be involved in the selection of the new housemate seeing as they'll have to live with them. They probably also know the score with regard to people leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Thanks for that.

Yeah im sharing with 2 others....does it make a difference if the guy who owns the house lives in the house?

No not really, it simplifies matters if anything. Closer to the time of your leaving just bring up the topic of who will be moving in if it hasn't come up already. It may be that the owner will handle it all themselves.

Either way as long as there's no damage or outstanding bills to be paid for then you should get the deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

you may have to wait until the bills arrive till you get the deposit back, and then any bills will be deducted from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

bugler wrote: »
    From what you say it sounds as thought you're sharing a place with others. The process normally is that you need to find someone to replace you, and subject to this you will get your deposit back.

Of course it's wise to involve the people you share with in this. First ask them about it. They may well want to be involved in the selection of the new housemate seeing as they'll have to live with them. They probably also know the score with regard to people leaving.

This is not true. You have no contract, so leave whenever you want, get deposit back and don't look for someone to replace you.

• Advertisement

It varies. I've shared houses where this was the norm. It's all well and good saying "there's no contract". And what do you do if the LL doesn't give the deposit back? Ring the gardai? Call your solicitor (who'll cost you more than the deposit)?

This sort of thing should have been made clear when you moved in. But now all there's for it is to ask.

Advertisement