Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

variable response times

Options
  • 27-05-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I can't go into any great detail, but i send regular requests to a server on the internet (every 15 secs)and generally get a response back within half a second. However, often i dont get reponses back for over 1 second. The server people say its not on their end. I've tried a different BB modem, removed dns lookup from the requests, but still get this random delay to receiving responses.

i have 3mb/384 with BT. If i ping the server at the times i'm getting slow responses, the pings still seem normal

Is there any network or router settings that could cause this type of behaviour?
    ie are some types of traffic/ports more at risk to bottlenecks than say a ping?

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

depends on what servers closer ones will obviously have shorter responce times, ie server in ireland and one in japan. if the pings are around the same on both servers it cud simply be a more router hops to the destination, but tbh its not something to worry about, or the server ur contacting cud be overloaded or on a slow server , etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I can't go into any great detail, but i send regular requests to a server on the internet (every 15 secs)and generally get a response back within half a second. However, often i dont get reponses back for over 1 second. The server people say its not on their end. I've tried a different BB modem, removed dns lookup from the requests, but still get this random delay to receiving responses.

i have 3mb/384 with BT. If i ping the server at the times i'm getting slow responses, the pings still seem normal

Is there any network or router settings that could cause this type of behaviour?
    ie are some types of traffic/ports more at risk to bottlenecks than say a ping?

thx

Its the internet, this is why businesses buy a leased line, nothing is guaranteed in between two sites otherwise, latency or speed.

Advertisement