Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stove Efficency + distance more than 15ft from hotpress

• 27-05-2008 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

hello,
    apologies if this is a real stupid question/idea. I read on one of the threads recently that for a stove to be efficent (at heating rads and water) that it shouldn't be any futher than 15 ft away from the hot press. The plan is that the stove (hercules) will provide most of the central heating as we have access to a good supply of solid fuel at the moment.

Currently where I plan to have my stove it will be about 40 ft away from the hot press.:eek: Does this mean that the efficiency will be serioully recuded do to the distance?

I haven't spoken to the plumber yet as we aren't at that stage of the build (just getting roof at the mo).

Basically my question (hope it doesn't sound mental) is - could we have the boiler/tank located above the room (attic) where the stove is located. The room in question is located in the single story part of the house. There is a small attic space (as the ceiling will be half vaulted) above the room. Is there any reason why the contents of the normal hotpress can't be located where i suggest (purely to reduce distance). It wouldn't bother me that i'd loose out in a closet that had heat to dry clothes i.e. the typical hot press. It would only be a matter of putting in a rad in this room.

Please remember i know zilt about plumbing:o I just got concerned when I read the thread recently stating that anything over 15 ft wasn't good !

Thanks
    Sharon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We're in same boat with stove ~40ft from cylinder, Hercules stove also.
    1st fix is done so no going back !!
    I'm presuming I'd presumed it was same as oil burner i.e. a heat source..

Can anyone answer this...

In addition, how large of house do you plan to heat with the stove ?

Cheers
    bam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lynch32

bbam wrote: »
    We're in same boat with stove ~40ft from cylinder, Hercules stove also.
    1st fix is done so no going back !!
    I'm presuming I'd presumed it was same as oil burner i.e. a heat source..

Can anyone answer this...

In addition, how large of house do you plan to heat with the stove ?

Cheers
    bam

Hi bbam,
    our house will be 4200 sq ft. I realise the stove won't heat this all at once. I figure (could be wrong), with careful zoning it should make a good stab at it. I won't require the heat on for all rooms at the same time. Initially its only me and the hubby, so there will be lots of rooms empty that wouldn't require heat at all. Also we are insulating it well, so that should help. Thats the theory anyways :)

Advertisement