Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pedestrian right of way in carparks

Options
  • 27-05-2008 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

can anybody shed some light on a minor problem that is bugging me.....in most of the shopping centre carparks in the city we have what i call "extended pathways" and i was wondering whats the story with these.
    Am i entitled to, with due care, proceed onto the "extended pathway" and expect the oncoming traffic to stop or am i jay walking??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Human VS. Car

.... Car will win. Use your head and a bit of common sense and you'll be grand. That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

To be honest, jay walking doesn't "really" exist in Ireland... we're far too ignorant to care about where and when we cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always assume that a pedestrian has right of way if I'm driving or walking.

But DO NOT trust anyone behind the wheel. They could be looking the other way, drunk or on the phone. Always assume they can't drive and act accordingly, no need to get hurt just to prove a point.

If they made jay-walking illegal in Galway, then the government would make a fortune in fines and most of us would be in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I think that under Irish law a pedestrian has the right of way as soon as they step onto a road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The concept of right-of-way doesn't really apply in most car parks, as they're private land, not public. This is why many people bring their kids to local shopping centre car parks to learn how to drive initially - you don't need insurance.

On private land, common sense applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

axiom32 wrote: »
    can anybody shed some light on a minor problem that is bugging me.....in most of the shopping centre carparks in the city we have what i call "extended pathways" and i was wondering whats the story with these.
    Am i entitled to, with due care, proceed onto the "extended pathway" and expect the oncoming traffic to stop or am i jay walking??:confused:

Pedestrians have right of way anywhere even if they walk out onto a public road, a car has to yield to them...at least in Ireland anyway

Common sense dictates that pedestrians should use pedestrian crossings but common sense and road use very rarely go hand in hand in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If a pedestrian is with 150ft(metres?) of a pedestrian crossing point (zebra, pelican, traffic lights), they must cross there.
    Otherwise, if a pedestrian is already crossing the road, you must yield to them.
    If you're driving, you're responsible for a weapon, so act accordingly.

That said, I'd love to tear up Eglinton from the town Hall and slide round the bend at the top of Shop St., removing the pond scum from the gene pool.
    The number of 'mothers' who launch out into the road using their prams as safety-divining rods beggers belief.
    Why there isn't a barrier at the inner apex of that bend I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

people should be made learn to drive cars first before they are allowed walk in a city.
    it isnt until you start to drive you realise how stupid most pedestrians are.
    how often have you driven across the tight bridge near the cathedral and someone steps off the footpath or crosses the road on a corner near williamgate street etc etc etc.

laws in this country protect stupid pedestrians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

laws in this country protect stupid pedestrians

in fairness the council doesn't exactly make it easy for pedestrians. they are forced to take risks by the lack of crossings, otherwise you could be standing for up to 10 minutes waiting for roads to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

much thanks to all contributers .... but its not council or lack of council pedestrian crossings i am on about ...its the ones in dunnes westside which act as speed ramps but are the same colour/brickwork as the footpath so am i still on the footpath or on a road

Advertisement