Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is information on a Taxi meter be recorded ?

• 27-05-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Is all information recorded on a taxi meter? I.e. journey times, meters being paused, times of the day when the meter is paused, tariffs etc? Can this information ever be requested by the authoroities similar to what they can do with a tachograph?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would imagine so. I know alot of taxi companies now have GPS installed in their fleets so they know exactly where their drivers are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Another question, Is the GPS data recorded if the person is working for a company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

GPS tracking is up to the individual company. If it is a company car, I imagine it fully recorded. If it has a text message system, the taxi is tracked realtime by the system to the nearest base station and is probably capable of being interrogated.

Many (all) GPS units record your last few journeys so that if you get lost you can back track.

If the taxi meter is like a till, it will be able to provide a summary at the end of the day detailing total charged, total hours, number of trips, etc.

It will depend on the company and the agreement they have with the driver of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Is all information recorded on a taxi meter? I.e. journey times, meters being paused, times of the day when the meter is paused, tariffs etc? Can this information ever be requested by the authoroities similar to what they can do with a tachograph?

You can print out a record of operational data and metered total fares, yes. I can't say for sure how long or exactly that meters can reprint after the event; ie I don't know if any meter can duplicate a journey from say a month back (I can duplicate receipt from a journey easy enough and print off partial receipts en route if required) but I can run off a aggregate total of fares and extras charged, distances travelled with and without fares etc.

The "data heads" as they are called in the trade have varying levels of ability to track a driver down depending on what supplier and version used so to qualify Bazza, it is possible. I don't think that companies actually hold onto the car movements; if they do they would be erased after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

hi there op
    can i ask what this is in relation to .because there is certain stuff that is recorded on the meter .if the meter is turned on then it will record the amount of fares taken,the amount of time on the road as in with the meter on,the down time when no fare was in the car ,this info can be called up by the user at the end of a shift but can be reset at the start of a new one ,my meter also records the min and max speed that was done aswell ,i can only pause my meter when the car is stopped and when i go over 6k an hour is reverts back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

hi there op
    can i ask what this is in relation to .because there is certain stuff that is recorded on the meter .if the meter is turned on then it will record the amount of fares taken,the amount of time on the road as in with the meter on,the down time when no fare was in the car ,this info can be called up by the user at the end of a shift but can be reset at the start of a new one ,my meter also records the min and max speed that was done aswell ,i can only pause my meter when the car is stopped and when i go over 6k an hour is reverts back
    It is in relation to an RTA that a mate of mine got involved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some information may be available, but you need to get in there as soon as possible.

Don't necessarily rely on others to retain the information - get the solicitor to obtain it immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Most meters record totals like time travelled, distance travelled, a breakdown of total turnover etc until the counters are reset. As in detailed information like a tachograph, forget it. Meters are not that sophisticated.

Advertisement