Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2008 group betting

Options
  • 27-05-2008 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I did this bet 4 years ago for Euro 2004 and it worked out nicely; select one team from each of the 4 groups to qualify for knockout stage and have a quadruple.

Obviously nothing guaranteed here, especially in Group C, but I was looking at something similar this summer;

Portugal 4/11, Germany 1/8, Italy 1/2 and Spain 1/5 to qualify from their group. Works out at just over 3 to 1 I think....

Odds on paddy power are as follows:

To Qualify From Group
    Portugal 4 - 11
    Czech Republic 7 - 10
    Switzerland evens
    Turkey 2 - 1

To Qualify From Group
    Germany 1 - 8
    Croatia 8 - 15
    Poland 9 - 5
    Austria 3 - 1

To Qualify From Group
    Italy 1 - 2
    France 8 - 15
    Holland 4 - 5
    Romania 11 - 4

To Qualify From Group
    Spain 1 - 5
    Greece 5 - 4
    Sweden 5 - 4
    Russia 11 - 8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

Ya boy sounds like a good technique. Will invest on it myself, 50 Eur wouldn't be bad at 3/1.

I like Russia @ 11/8 .

Might work out nicely that 3-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

That 3/1 is only a 1.77/1 with money back or 2.77 decimal.

Was looking to do a super bet, winners from group, finalists and top goal scorer but PP won't allow accum types like this on the site.

Torres top scorer might be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Havn't done any proper study on the tournament yet but first impressions wise...

I might consider laying Romania to finish bottom of their group if the odds are favourable. They topped their group ahead of the Netherlands beating them once, drawing the other time. 7/2 about them qualifying from the group is worth noting too. One of the other three could have a bad tournament, especially France considering their inability to beat Scotland in the qualifiers.

The Swiss at 5/4 to qualify is interesting too. Home advantage and all that might push them out of their group at least if no further. We saw the Czechs they were hardly impressive playing us.

They're the only two singles i'm considering. If i was doing the acca (probably won't) i'd go with them two (Switzerland/Romania) to qualify and add Greece and Croatia.

If i were to use those PP odds it be about 24/1 or so i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I think Croatia are going to do very well and I like the 1.61 to qualify from group on betfair and possibly 3.55 to win group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

hotspur wrote: »
    I think Croatia are going to do very well and I like the 1.61 to qualify from group on betfair and possibly 3.55 to win group.

+1

I think they're the team to back for the tourney @16/1

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

Definately good money to be won on euro the group stages.
    Have 5euro on:
    To Qualify From Their Groups:
    Czech Republic @ 7 - 10
    Croatia @ 8 - 15
    Italy @ 1 - 2
    Spain @ 1 - 5
    Austria Finish Bottom Of Their Group @ 8 - 11
    Germany @ 1 - 2 to beat Poland
    5 returns 60.78 (PP odds)

Just saw PP's new bet categories. Some nice ones. Top premiership goalscorer (Ronaldo 3-1). Top La Liga goalscorer (Van Nistelrooy 4-1). To Finish 3rd in Group (France 13-5 or Holland 2-1)
    Can see the forum getting alot of attention once Euro 08 starts

Austria to fail to qualify from their group is a new certainty. I'm not sure if the 8/11 for coming last or 1-5 to fail to qualify is the best bet because I don't trust Poland not to disgrace themselves against them.

Also Croatia's Mladen Petric for top scorer at 39/1 on Betfair is far too tempting for a great team in a group with Austria and Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

fergmcd wrote: »
    Can see the forum getting alot of attention once Euro 08 starts

Was thinking the same myself, mods any chance of a sub-forum for the duration of the Euros?

Lads what about Romania to qulaify at 11/4. France are not in great form. I know it's Group of death but Romania showed good qualifying form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cookpasbabtridg

I fancy Portugal to win it. Obviously need a couple of players to come good but I like their odds 15 to 2 with PP. Might swing 8s or 9 on betfair.

63587614 wrote: »
    Lads what about Romania to qulaify at 11/4. France are not in great form. I know it's Group of death but Romania showed good qualifying form.

I don't see why not. I don't fancy France much at all this year after seeing their qualifying exploits. Romania will be playing them first too. Plus Romania have already topped the Dutch in qualifying for the tournament. I reckon they can take the second place with Italy on top. Although they too were dodgy in Euro 2004 going out in the group stages. But their qualifying results seem to indicate they are in ominous form coming into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I went for 8 runners,

Portugal, Italy, Spain and Germany to quailify,
    Romania, Austria, Turkey and russia to miss it

8-1 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

Just how good are turkey and switzerland? Havent seen much of either team, infact none of switzerland. I'm asking because a double on Portugal @ 8/11 to beat Turkey, and Czech Republic @ 11/8 to beat Switzerland is just over 3-1. Seems a well worthy bet to me atm. Any views?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Well I think it's about team spirit, Greece won last time out devoid of any stars but wanting to win whereas all the superstars of Europe were already on holiday in their own head, so on this basis France and Holland to be ruled out the Dutch are very busy fighting amongst themselves anyway and Romania to qualify is looking good, also Croatia, you could also bring into it Turkey and Greece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

fergmcd wrote: »
    Just how good are turkey and switzerland? Havent seen much of either team, infact none of switzerland. I'm asking because a double on Portugal @ 8/11 to beat Turkey, and Czech Republic @ 11/8 to beat Switzerland is just over 3-1. Seems a well worthy bet to me atm. Any views?

Switzerland have a great defence and have some useful attacking players, Barnetta for one. I think that with home advantage should see them qualify but Portugal should still win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

Czech Republic 7 - 10 only bet for me .....

solid team .........i think some of the big clubs itaily france may slip up. russia strong also . but im just doing a single lumper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

lads is this right ? or all wrong , if its right seems like a nice bet :)

untitled-4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

^^is that to qualify from groups?Doesn't look right if it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭horsecrap

that bet is for those teams to WIN the group. 1st in thier group. decent bet but its to dodgy with italy imo

• Advertisement

What are people's analysis of the Croatia Austria game? Croatia are a ridiculous 21/20 on Betfair and 10/11 with Paddy Power. This seems way off to me. I don't care that Austria are on home turf they are probably the worst team ever to get to play in the Euro Champs. WOn 1 in their last 15 matches I think it is. They are so bad there was a petition in Austria that got 200,000 signatures to pull out of the competition because they are so bad. I think this is a huge mismatch but the odds are not reflecting it. When you consider that Germany are 1-2 to beat Poland, Croatia being had at this price seems wrong. I'm planning betting big on it as I think it's amazing value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Agreed. I backed them for this match a couple of weeks ago because I thought the price would disappear. However, I watched them draw with Hungary at the weekend and they weren't too impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's a massive massive price which I will certainly be getting on but punters might be overvaluing Eduardo's absence

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Has this group of friendlies changed anyones mind? Im thinking a fiver at boylesport on germany to win all 8 games in 90 minutes at 33 to 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

hotspur wrote: »
    What are people's analysis of the Croatia Austria game? Croatia are a ridiculous 21/20 on Betfair and 10/11 with Paddy Power. This seems way off to me. I don't care that Austria are on home turf they are probably the worst team ever to get to play in the Euro Champs. WOn 1 in their last 15 matches I think it is. They are so bad there was a petition in Austria that got 200,000 signatures to pull out of the competition because they are so bad. I think this is a huge mismatch but the odds are not reflecting it. When you consider that Germany are 1-2 to beat Poland, Croatia being had at this price seems wrong. I'm planning betting big on it as I think it's amazing value.

Yeah i have to agree with this and will be putting a few quid on it myself for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Germany and Poland are always funny matchs, it's like Ire-v-Eng

Austria are not the best team of course but home advantage is enough to value them at that price, could grind out a draw IMO

Right lads I went with Portugal and Spain to win there gorups works out at nearly 3/1.

63587614 wrote: »
    Right lads I went with Portugal and Spain to win there gorups works out at nearly 3/1.

This looks good but watch out for those damn Greeks! :p

The Croatia price appears odd alright. I wonder if this were a normal qualifier and Croatia were in Austria would around evens be about the right price for them?

Could be other factors aswell though including Eduardo, Croatia's dodgy friendly form coming into this and the fact that it is both teams openers for the tournament. Bookies may be taking the chance for a draw or something to make a killing early on considering people's likely rush to back Croatia.

The hyped up underdog is a strange beast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

would be better of going on 10/11 Spain to win the weakest group

Advertisement