Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post offering discount to boards members locked

Options
  • 27-05-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I posted a thread in the bargain alerts forum last February (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231678) offering a €10 discount to boards users but it was locked. I contacted the mod who locked it (as requested in the thread by the mod) explaining that it was a genuine offer and I was being honest and not hiding my identity as it would be very easy to register a new user and claim to be a "customer" who found out about this offer. The mod replied saying they would consider my request and get back to me but I didn't receive any reply despite contacting them again.

Last week I posted the offer again (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055296861) and the same mod locked it. I PM'ed the mod explaining the situation again but have not got any reply.

Can someone clarify the reason my thread was locked please? What is the rule about a website posting a thread about an bargain they currently have? As I said earlier it would be very easy for me to register another user to hide my identity and post this offer but I prefer to be upfront.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Advertising. Pay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

subad.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Advertising. Pay up.

Let's be honest, the whole bargain alerts forum is one big advertisment. Pigsback.com even have their own sticky.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Let's be honest, the whole bargain alerts forum is one big advertisment. Pigsback.com even have their own sticky.
    Most sticky's are created by mods, they are not advertisements.

There is a big difference between posting a bargain on a site and pimping your own site.

As Sherifu points out Pay up or stop complaining.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sorry dude, the normal way to do it is pay for advertising or put it in your sig. Eircom didnt come posting it, they put up an advert! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yeah, you should mention it in your signature alright. I see the links there already so you should include the part about the offer.

As is, every company that wants to advertise has to pay to do so. It's a great offer in fairness to you, but the rules are the rules and can't really be bent for one company, whilst being enforced on the other.

Well the mods did say I had a point so I would just like some clarification on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's an offer for boards users though, as opposed to straight out advertising.

What's the policy on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Lads I think its a bit unfair. IrishSpeedTraps, I'd say go conact an Admin like Vexorg and explain the situation.

Here we have a poster (who hasnt just signed up btw) offering what seems like a genuine discount to fellow Boardsies ..... give me a break instead of being dicks and jumping in wit smartarsed comments and retarded picture posting.

CAn an issue not be dealt with before the dimwits crawl out from under their rocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

seamus wrote: »

Imo its part of what this place is all about but that doesnt stop people jumping on a thread starter just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

its illegal to have speed traps in your sat nav
    1. These Regulations may be cited as the Road Traffic (Speed Meter Detectors) Regulations, 1991.

2. These Regulations shall come into operation on the 1st day of April, 1991.

3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred.

4. A person shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle to which is fitted, or in or on which is carried, a speed meter detector whether or not such device is actually in use.

5. (1) The importation or supplying of, or offering to supply, a speed meter detector is hereby prohibited.

(2) The fitting of, or offering to fit, a speed meter detector to a mechanically propelled vehicle is hereby prohibited.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

6th wrote: »
    Imo its part of what this place is all about but that doesnt stop people jumping on a thread starter just for the sake of it.

I think though some people would see it still as advertising. Its a grey area and I think at the moment the policy seems to be : advertise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

if for example i would post it now in the bargan alearts forum would it be aloud because Im not with the company?

Tigger wrote: »

Tigger, it is not illegal as our download is not real time, it is based on historical data. And the Guards have publicly stated they have no problem with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

AFAIK, it's up to each forum's moderators to decide whether a post crosses the line, whether it's useful to the forum regulars, or if it's just blatent advertising. I treat each post on a case by case basis.

If someone contributes nothing but advertising/pimping then I ain't going to leave it. If the poster is generally a good contributer and the posts are useful and aren't spammy/OTT then I'm more likely to leave it.

anto-t wrote: »
    if for example i would post it now in the bargan alearts forum would it be aloud because Im not with the company?

As it stands that would be allowed. Or if a "friend" of mine with a different user name posted, that would be allowed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tigger wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd dispute that. The words, "which is capable of being used" means that basically all satnav equipment is illegal because it is capable of being used to indicate the existence of speed traps.

i approve but i'm just warning you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

To be fair, I'd dispute that. The words, "which is capable of being used" means that basically all satnav equipment is illegal because it is capable of being used to indicate the existence of speed traps.

Very true. Just like IRMA saying all MP3 players are illegal because you can play pirated software on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I would question is the offer just aimed at generating business?. Very few companies in my experience make an offer that is just for the benefit of the users of boards.ie but wish to take advantage of the large user base in an forum or category.

However some forums do allow this sort of promotion so if the forum mods are happy with it thats fine. The difficulty with this approach is setting a precedent, if you are allowed to promote your products or service will there be lots of companies claiming to have offers just for boardsies and why cant they post on the forum also so this may be the thin end of the wedge.

The no promoting of your product of service rule has served us well for the last 10 years, in fact it is part of the welcome email.

My answer is no to allowing this sort of advertising, it will open us up to spam and what does that say to the guys who have been contributing their expertise to forums and have a simple link in the sigs. We would have to allow them to do the same also.

I would consider am offers for boardsies forum where companies can post offers because we can choose to go there or not.

Vex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We've had it before - galwayboy or something like that selling cat5 cabling. He was just a lad from home and it was perfectly acceptable. This isn't a big commercial company - it's just another guy making an offer to boardsies.

I see where Vex is coming from. I run an IT & Design company and the Tramore site, but I feel that a lot of people on Boards have given me a lot of the years and its a great community. They deserve a discount. I also give discounts to students, as its hard enough to live on their budget and they also deserve a discount. I like to return the favour that has been given to me. However, I dont want to blab about it unless directly asked as I dont want to piss anyone of or anyone seeing it as advertising.

I have no problem paying my way for advertising, and I dont like anyone who spams to get anywhere in life.

In regards to the case in question, if the mod feels its advertising so be it. Nothing we can do, Vex has stated its more or less a mods decision.

Advertisement