Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 year old at Avril Lavinge concert?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just looking for other parents opinions on whether an Avil Lavinge concert would be to advanced for my seven year old ( who really loves her )
    Does anyone think she's too young ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

nerak wrote: »
    Just looking for other parents opinions on whether an Avil Lavinge concert would be to advanced for my seven year old ( who really loves her )

i'd say the average age will be 15-17, but the main question for me would be if it was seated or not. if it's seated and you're with her (you or your other half), then i'd say fine. if it's standing, then it can be more of a problem as she could get lost, or not see much in any event. The main thing is to sort out as soon as you get there a meeting point if you get separated.

but then we each do things differently. i was lucky enough to be taken to a led zeppelin concert when i was 8. an experience i'll never forget!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Personally I think no person, young or old should listen to Avril Lavinge, her music (using that word lightly) is terrible:D

Anyway, are you taking her yourself? If she is supervised by an adult then I see no reason not to take her. Concerts are great and when my dad took me to Guns N' Roses in Slane all those years ago (OK, I wasn't 7!) I had a ball and the memories stayed with me always.

It's worth getting seated tickets so he/she can sit down and get a good view of the stage. Seating also avoids the child getting knocked or bumped into by some teenage rocker on a personal rebellion mission along with Avril herself.

Seeing your favourite rock/pop star is a great buzz for a child...if everything is safe and supervised then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

There were plenty of kids younger than 10 (with their parents/persons over 18) at Bruce Sprinsteen the other night. I see nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I have a 7 yr old too and would like to take her to a concert, but have slight reservations about it. I think the noise and general buzz of a concert may be a bit much for her. She's not a wus or anything but you know yourself they can be LOUD..

If you take her though, definitely get seats..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I have a 7 yr old too and would like to take her to a concert, but have slight reservations about it. I think the noise and general buzz of a concert may be a bit much for her. She's not a wus or anything but you know yourself they can be LOUD..

If you take her though, definitely get seats..

i understand what you mean, the bass boom from the amps can often overwhelm a child understandably but if you had seats from a nice distance it should be OK. keep the child close and let them settle into the gig at their own pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

i understand what you mean, the bass boom from the amps can often overwhelm a child understandably but if you had seats from a nice distance it should be OK. keep the child close and let them settle into the gig at their own pace.

I actually left a Christina Aguilera concert once because it was so loud it was unbearable. I was with adults but there were a couple of people I noticed who had kids at it and they were howling and left too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

If shes going to enjoy it and youll be with her, go and have fun. I was at foo fighters in marley park and saw a good few kids at it and this would be a concert with a fair bit of booze but from what i saw there was no problems, everyone was just enjoying the concert. I cant wait to bring my kids to concerts (still a bit too young). Go and dont worry bout what everyone else thinks and worse case scenario se doesnt like it or its not a nice atmosphere then you can leave and go to macdonalds:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I worked at the last one in The Point Depot.
    Once she has a parent or a responsible older person (sibling/cousin/aunt etc)with her I think it will be fine.
    There were a lot of kids her age there and they all appeared to enjoy it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

As long as you're with her she'll befine and will enjoy herself. I think Avril Lavigne is on in the RDS,w hich is more open than the Point and easier to get away from the noise so she'll probably be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I got taken to see wet wet wet at just a littler older than that and I still have great memories of it, Marti Pellow will always have my heart! I think it sounds like a nice thing to do for your daughter, as long as an adult is with her and you can sit. I went to an all standing concert a few years ago in the point and there was lots of young kids at it. They just let the kids stand in their own separate area to be safe. It should be fine.

I did go and see Tenacious D a while back and there was a very young child at it, now that is a little bit irresponsible! Some of their songs are not for young ears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aren't there 'adult' vocals in her acoustic versions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

When I was younger my mam took me and my younger sisters (one of which was about eight at the time) to a concert and they both fell asleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It sounds like good fun, I think that is Avril Lavignes target age group really, so it should be catered towards that age group.

How about having a couple of those foam earplugs in your bag just in case (or you could always use them yourself :D), get your daughter to try them beforehand so shes comfortable with them, just in the event it was distressingly loud for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Victor wrote: »
    Aren't there 'adult' vocals in her acoustic versions?

Do you mean "rude words"?????

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Redpunto wrote: »
    Do you mean "rude words"?????

Well the long version of "mofo".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Since it appears the OP is happy with her 7 year old listening to the music I guess this not really the issue.

Provided you get seating - and are happy to expose your 7 year old to groups of potentially drunk (and more) 15 to 17 year olds then I guess it works for you.

I think it really comes down to personal choice as a parent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

nerak wrote: »

Nerak,

I brought the girls to Avril Lavigne when she was here in The Point about 4 years ago or so. I think they would have been 7 & 8 at the time. They were some of the oldest children there, the place was full of kids younger than 7. They had a great time and it doesn't seem to have done them any long term harm!

Bring the seven year old along......

Advertisement