Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aylesbury in Tallaght ?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Me and my other half are considering buying a property in
    Aylesbury(1st Choice)
    Kiltipper(2nd choice)
    or Kilnamanagh (3rd choice)
    Do any of you guys live in the locality?

Just wondering what peoples opinions of these areas were. They look ok,
    Any helpful opinions are appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We looked at buying a house in Aylesbury a couple of years ago. Interestingly the estate agent admitted even during the boom times the house prices for Aylesbury fluctuated at bit for no apparent reason. It seems to be a reasonable enough area TBH, as long as the boy racers don't put you off. Just across the road in Old Bawn the houses seemed to be better built and you got more for your money, would be worth adding to your list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 GUDBUDD2008

We have been out there checking the area on the evenings and weekends
    it looks pretty quiet not gangs of kids hanging around or that. Seen the odd boy racer alright but you get them everywhere..
    anyone else live around there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rover84

it looks pretty quiet not gangs of kids hanging around or that. Seen the odd boy racer alright but you get them everywhere..

ye i live nearby, aylesbury is grand, not a bad area at all. if thats your first choice, go for it. kiltipper in my opinion is a very good area (prob the best of 3), no gangs etc. loads of stuff nearby (sports clubs, parks, shops etc.) Kilnamanagh is ok, nothing against it, but wouldnt buy a place there myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Did you walk around at about 10 pm and around the neighbouring estates?
    Remember your chldren will require a larger wandering area than you will too. Also get the last bus from town out there some Friday or Saturday.

I bet you wont buy anywhere near there if you do that.

Most if not all, last bus home trip/routes to Dublin's suburbs are hairy id say. But i will give it a shot. I could go down the route of buying outside Dublin, it would mean more time on the road, less sleep,higher fuel costs,
    less access to services depending on location.
    I am just considering this location at the moment .
    As long as i can do my own thing without hassle and have a peaceful sleep, i would consider this area.
    Thanks for your comments lads'n'gals.
    Anyone else live around there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Aylesbury is alright.... not terribly keen on it myself. Around the Dodder/shopping centre/Mill you do get your scum element.

Dunno bout Kiltipper.

Kilnamanagh is quite nice, of the 3 I'd go for there to be honest. Kingswood too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I know a few people living in Aylesbury for the last 15 plus years. No hassle at all. A guard told me a long time ago that Aylesbury was very quiet. Kilnamanagh is a bit big as far as estates go imo.

Thanks...

I was around the area yesterday and last weekend.
    I think Kilnamanagh is nice and has lovely homes there, but with it being so close to Belgard Rd
    and the Tallaght bypass i would say the traffic passing through and
    getting in and out could be a bit of a pain at times

Anyone else have any opinions of Aylesbury or Kiltipper?

Any takers Guys N Gals? I am still diciding on a specific area................

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

I'm living in Old Bawn for the last 20 years and I would say go for it in Aylesbury or Kiltipper (Always treated them as the one estate myself). Quiet enough area but you will get the boy racers going around the odd time but not really anything to worry about or that you wouldn't get in most areas.

Like most estates though there are certain parts you would prefer to be in, for Aylesbury I would say you are looking at the Heatherview and Pinewood/view(not sure of exact name) areas as being good with Carrigmore being a bit lower down the list.

• Advertisement

Your Spot on... Heatherview, Pineview and Kiltipper Drive/avenue
    I will see how things go

Carraigmore is ok as well but i would rather be a bit away from the green area at the back of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Of the Three i would go with Kilnamanagh, Nice area well built homes. Good Shopping centre ie-dunnes. And the Luas is right on your doorstep. Traffic isnt that bad can depend on which way your looking to go in the mornings.

Thanks for your replies guys.........
    Now which Pubs are ok to go to
    and which are no goooooooooooooooooooooooo.????????????????

Ahernes is the closest to Aylesbury... There's a "young" section and an "old" section. They're both fine really, I think there's music regularly in the young section. The old section is fairly quiet, which suits me grand, despite being young :p (20!) My folks drink there too. Probably the best place for a quiet pint.

Tallaght village aint far from you, but most of the pubs there are horrible (the Dragon, Molloys...). The Abberley Court is my local and it's decent enough for me! It's near Smyths toy store/the Belgard road.

I quite like Grumpy's (Grumpy McClafferties, I think...), it's nice and cosy. It's just off the by-pass, so not far from Aylesbury.

OH! Forgot to mention the Old Mill... I presume you've seen it. It's quite big, nice atmosphere.

Hopefully that's enough for now!

Went to the old mill for a bite to eat and a couple of pints. its grand. heard scholars is nice ...........

Thanks for that Dave i will have to venture to the boozers you mentioned too .... Do a quality check of the aul beers.

I suppose i asked to see which pubs were the ones you could go to
    for a few pints after work and get no hassle.

And which ones to avoid.. ie. Which ones they knock the s**t out of
    each other after they are kicked out?

Yeah forgot to mention Scholars! I go there fairly regularly too. Nice place, not terribly big though. There's a chinese restaurant upstairs called Scent Garden, which aint bad.

The only 'bad' pubs I can think of off the top of my head are the Dragon, Molloys, and the Foxes Covert/somethin like that. They're all in Tallaght village. Rough as a badger's arse! Maybe somebody else can help you out with pubs to avoid closer to your area.

There's another pub called the Speaker Connolly which is around Firhouse area. My sister drinks there every so often and has no trouble, but I haven't been there myself so can't comment really. Might be worth investigating also. If you're coming from the by-pass direction, going up the old bawn road, you take a left at the traffic lights straight after old bawn shopping centre/the Mill, and it's down that road about 5-10 mins.

Bloody hell there's alot of pubs in my area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

There is also a pub in Kiltipper now. In Marlfield, I think. Not sure what it's like though.

Isn't there also a new bar right beside the I.T in Tallaght village? Apart from the Penny Black in Balrothery, that's about it for the local area, unless you head for the Jobstown Inn or Molly Heffernans in West Tallaght (i.e, don't).

Maybe you're talking about the Metro beside IT Tallaght, stovelid? It's just around the corner. Kind of a disco bar though. Translation: they blare sh*tty music, so you can't have a conversation, yet they have the smallest excuse for a dance floor possible. Needless to say, it's full of ITT students!

Not my bag really. It's open about a year and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dave! wrote: »
    Maybe you're talking about the Metro beside IT Tallaght, stovelid? It's just around the corner. Kind of a disco bar though. Translation: they blare sh*tty music, so you can't have a conversation, yet they have the smallest excuse for a dance floor possible. Needless to say, it's full of ITT students!

Not my bag really. It's open about a year and a half.

Aye, that's the one. Never been into it, but the description sorts that one out. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Was in Speaker's one time, an older crowd than Scholars and a bit rougher, but if you like trad music they seem to have a very popular session their regularly.

I will also add. Don't get food from the chipper across from the Old Mill. Firstly because it's ridiculously expensive and also was in there late one night and we saw something scuttle up a wall and out of sight before we could identify it properly. :eek: The chinese beside it is fairly good, but not as good as the chinese in Alysbury or in Ballycullen.

Dyflin wrote: »
    The chinese beside it is fairly good, but not as good as the chinese in Alysbury or in Ballycullen.

Aye that's my regular place... I quite like it. Much prefer it to Scent Garden to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Speaker Connolly do absolutely beautiful food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Moon_Eyes

Hi Dave

Funny conincidence seeing this but I have to get to Ahernes in Old Bawn this weekend and don't know that area very well. Are there buses that pass Ahernes from town? If you know the number and the stop there? Or if I got a Luas,what stop to get off in Tallaght and then cab it to it from there? Any advice would be mucho appreciated, thanks.

Hey Moon Eyes,

This is Ahernes here
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.277891,-6.358353&spn=0.001405,0.003326&t=h&z=18

(on the left, with the car park)

You can get the 77A from College Street/across from Doyles, and it goes through Crumlin, up the Greenhills Rd, takes a left (here) after the Cuckoos Nest pub towards Tymon North, then onto the N81 briefly, then onto Avonmore/Seskin View road. You get out at the top of Seskin View road, at the intersection/traffic lights, and walk for 2 minutes up the Old Bawn road.

The building is painted yellow if I'm not mistaken........

G'luck! Just ask the driver if you don't know where to get out

BTW if you wanna get the LUAS (more hastle really) then get it to the last stop (will leave you at the Square shopping centre), then go out on one of the roads and get a taxi. The driver will know where Ahernes is, but if not just say the Old Bawn Road and keep an eye out.

Cheers Dave,

Sounds like it's near enough to The Mill then? My friend lives off Seskin View Rd and I know we've wlked to The Mill in that general direction.
    I normally get off in the middle stop so I know where you're talking about. Thanks for that I'm sure it'lll be fine. I'll take a looksee at your link too, cheers.

M

Yeah the Mill is on the Old Bawn rd too, but bout 10 mins walk further up the road.

Enjoy!

Cheers

I would've asked the pal but she's lyin on a beach in Bulgaria the wagon! I think may just take luas cos live in Inchicore and it'll only be a few quid in a cab from square and prob best once the driver knows I'm sure will find it, hope it's an ok place! Thanks all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Get a 49/49a instead, 77A goes all over the place and takes forever.

Advertisement