Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Grinder Challenge

Options
  • 26-05-2008 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

**EDIT** This thread has been split from this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055299872 which may explain any continuity problems. The background is that I hastily bought a new grinder and espresso machine. While the espresso machine has glowing reviews, there are hardly any for the grinder. So I am unsure of the quality of the grind.

**ORIGINAL POST**
    As I have access to some nice microscopes in work - what I might do is bring in some ground coffee from my mdf and from the grinta and take some photos. Should be able to get some from a mazzer super jolly as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'll send you grindings from an MC2 if you want to compare consistency with those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Yeah - that would be cool. A wee little project.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

This thread is geekier than anything on the comp forum. :D

Microscopes!!!!!!!

Khannie wrote: »
    This thread is geekier than anything on the comp forum. :D

Microscopes!!!!!!!
    There ain't nothin geekier than a microscope. Its a proven fact.

Now where did I leave my pocket protector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Hey RE*AC*TOR, want to focus your microscope at my I2 grindings while you're at it?

• Advertisement

Its as easy for me to look at 20 samples as 2. So no problem.

Obviously we are all going to be grinding different beans which will introduce a variance into the proceedings. I suspect depending on the degree of roast there would be more tendency to create dust (drier beans etc). But there's little we can do about that.

Would be a good idea maybe to send along a sample of the unground bean as well for comparison.

So if you guys are near UCD (Belfield) feel free to drop it in, otherwise I can PM you my address...?

You're right of course, perhaps we need to agree on a standard bean.

Unlikely I'll be near UCD in the near future but happy to post a sample.

Can't really believe I'm even having this conversation!

Well I'll be getting the Mazzer Super Jolly sample from Insomnia (in UCD) so they'll be using their own beans.

Also I really don't want to waste money on a can of illy that I have no intention of drinking.

Cheers RE*AC*TOR, no problem, think I'll use my usual Ristretto espresso blend. Stuff I have is a bit stale so might wait 'til I get a fresh order.

I don't know if staleness will be a huge factor.

• Advertisement

Should be in the post this evening. Hope my beans/grind stand up to scrutiny.

They're in the post. Looking forward to the report, the results will be interesting.

Let me know if you want to split this experiment off into a new thread and leave this one about your new machine. It might not be a bad idea as this testing will be good reference material for anyone thinking of buying a grinder.

Yeah - go for it.

Done. Let me know if you want a different thread title etc. If you want to edit that first post and can't let me know.

Do you want a sample from my crappy blade grinder?

Khannie wrote: »
    Do you want a sample from my crappy blade grinder?
    Go for it! I'll send you my address by PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Sorry but this is the most exciting thread on boards for ages! :o:p

Sorry but this is the most exciting thread on boards for ages! :o:p

Not joining in then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I've no grinder :(

yet :pac::pac::pac:

I've got my two samples ready. Not exactly sure what an espresso grind is, so I did 25g for 17 seconds (12 + 5), then 25g for 20 seconds (this looks like a very fine grind). I'll post them off tomorrow.

• Advertisement

cool they should make a good comparison - no need to send me all 25g though. a couple of grams will be ample.

They're already wrapped. :) Plus, it does give a more complete picture. One of the downsides with the blade grinder (that I've found) is that it always turns some of the beans to a fine powder, which tend to stick around the edges of the container (and clump a bit, presumably from the oils). A sample from the centre might miss that aspect.

Some fun if your 'grind' is the most even of all the samples Khannie.

Hehehe. :D

The tip I took from the starbucks sheet (to shake the blade grinder while grinding) has definitely helped the consistency, but I'd be really surprised. Looking forward to finding out though.

You gonna be posting pics reactor?

Definetly posting pics. That's kinda the whole point.
    On another note, Insomnia don't have a Mazzer Super Jolly anymore, they changed it to some manner of Elektra. But sure, it'll do.

Samples in the post. You should have them tomorrow.

Samples received from Mr M and Khannie. Expecting my new grinder tomorrow.

It could be monday before I can take the pics though.

Cool. Looking forward to it. :)

This is the geekiest thing I've participated in in _ages_ and that's saying something. :D

Some smell of coffee in my office now. :pac:

• Advertisement

nyom. You've convinced me. I think I'll treat myself to a 3rd mug during office hours today. The only remaining question: What to eat with it? Hmmmmm.

Advertisement