Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surname??

Options
  • 27-05-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

if you are not married and you have a baby, can the baby take the fathers surname instead of the mothers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes.
    Both of mine have thier father's surname and we were never married.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Misticles wrote: »
    if you are not married and you have a baby, can the baby take the fathers surname instead of the mothers?

They can take either name on the birth cert or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

I know when my daughter took her dad's surname on the birthcert, the only requirement was that he was there to sign to the register himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

yep yep yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Technially you ca put anything you want on your childs birthcert.

I am actually surprised we have not yet seen someone attempting to sell the naming rights for there newborn yet.

Little 'mary coca cola' could be just around the courner.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Yes, Im not married and my girls have both our names..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

My daughter will be 2 now in July, and when we got her registered we wanted her to have her dads name only, but the registrar told us it wasnt possible so we had to give her both surnames. Ive learned since that our daughter could have had just her fathers surname, dunno why we were told no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

When I had my son, I was told that if I wasnt to put the father on the birth cert at all and then a few years down the line if we were to get married, he would have to adopt his own son?!!Dont know if this is right or not. Anyhew he has his dads surname but he's started asking questions as to why we have different names now(hes 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Maddison wrote: »
    When I had my son, I was told that if I wasnt to put the father on the birth cert at all and then a few years down the line if we were to get married, he would have to adopt his own son?!!Dont know if this is right or not. Anyhew he has his dads surname but he's started asking questions as to why we have different names now(hes 4)

I think what they meant by this was if u put down 'father unknown' on the birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I wasnt married when I had my first two, They are both double barrelled, But generally I just use their fathers name for schools etc.

Now that I am due again and married, I think I will have to double barrell this baby, Dont want the poor think feeling left out of my name.

The father has to be there to sign the register when you are unmarried, When you are married it is just done automatically as they fully assume that the child will be your husbands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

If you are married it is the law in Ireland that the littleun takes the fathers name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

snellers wrote: »
    If you are married it is the law in Ireland that the littleun takes the fathers name

No it's not, the child can take either name on the birth cert, not all wives take their husbands name.

My bad -was passing info given to me at the last ante natal class my wife and I went to last week! ....the midwife had best be better at delivering babies than giving out info! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

My understanding is you could put von Hapsburg as their surname if you want to.

er yep....just as I said

Advertisement