Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding which network cables do what

Options
  • 27-05-2008 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I have a switch with about 20 cables coming out of it. I know that one of them goes to a particular room but I don't know which one. Is there any device that I could plug in both ends to find the cable I want or can anyone suggest a way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Do you know where it is in the other room? Are you free to plug it in and out?

If so, easiest way is to unplug any cables that aren't connected on the far end (i.e. that have no lights showing). Then get someone else to go into the other room and unplug the cable. You'll know then that which ever port goes out, is the one you were looking for?

Otherwise, you may need to use SNMP to trace the connection, presuming the switch supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

simplest thing is to get one person to unplug the device in the room and another to watch for lights goign out on the switch.
    You could get a cable tester and plug it in each end either but a lot of manual testing on it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Easy enough.
    1. Wait until everyone is downloading vital stuff from net.
    2. Unplug cable
    3. Listen for screams
    Or get some labels and a person to unplug / plug cables in til you know what ends where. Assuming that they're not already labeled. I suppose if they were you wouldn't be here, but you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem is the cables go off into wall mounted plugs there's 7 of them not lit up and the cable I'm looking for isn't connected to anything (but the switch).

The connection I'm looking for goes off to another room and the plan was to put another switch there but now I want it for an internet connection. I'm not even 100% sure the cable goes into that room but I know which plug it's supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In that case just grab a laptop, go to the room with the network outlets in it and plug it into each one, one by one, and get someone (on the other end of a mobile) to watch the switch and tell you which port lights up when you connect the laptop (if any).

• Advertisement
Advertisement