Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your idea proposal ladies??

Options
  • 27-05-2008 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

it's something i haven't stopped thinking about and i still have no idea what i would like my man to do. i def know i would not want anyone to know first but i kinda like the idea of him asking my dad for permission first.

do ye have any idea's on what ye would like if ye are like me and still waiting for that special moment

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ah has to be the old cliché Eifel Tower job.. At night of course, after a nice dinner and before *ahem* desert ;) in an ideal world of course, but once he had put thought and effort into it I really wouldn't mind where he did it as long as I loved him :D awe

I want someone who thinks the world revolves around me and would do anything for me, with me.

I couldn't give a monkeys about the other details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Did ye see that programme on RTE where that blond yoke helps the guy with the proposal- and then at the end when they are having their private moment she pops in with her big mike and her 'I'm blah blah from RTE'

I would hate to be asked with a big audience- let alone a silly tv presenter and the whole country watching. I'd say no just for the hell of it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

xzanti wrote: »
    Ah has to be the old cliché Eifel Tower job

Good God no. I'd fall over the side with mortification. :pac:

It was broken slowly to me in the comfort of our own home. Then I drank some wine. Then I said ok then, lets do it!

But only four will be there, I said. And two of which are you and me. Hasnt quite worked out that way though.

Plan phailed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

My guy had the ideal planned, he gave me picnic basket with champagne and a voucher for a romantic Italian themed picnic at a venue of my choice. I picked the Iveagh gardens, then it never stopped raining, so was given pressie in June, but was the end of September when he finally did it in Crete in a gorgeous bea\ch side restaurant by candle light. Can't say it was a surprise at that point though cause we'd booked the venue in July. Still it was special to us cause I have the best guy in the world :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A weekend end away in a hotel room with a huge bed and a huge bath and to do nothing but eat, drink and make merry and ever leave the room....

oh you meant like a wedding proposal set up.
    Can't say it's something I have ever put any thought into.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

My idea proposal would be

'We just won 5million in the lotto! I propose we go shopping for tvs, cars, and games! In that exact order. More tea?'

:(

I think if anyone asked my poor Dad for permission he'd say 'What? She stopped asking me for permission when she was 17. Sure I'm only a portable ATM machine."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

also like the idea of when the time came that my partner would ask my dad's permission 1st, think its a nice tradition.
    As far as the proposal goes, i'm not sure; wouldnt be too fussy, would like to know that he made an effort though, maybe a picnic or on a lake in a rowing boat except i'd probably fall off the boat in shock:eek:
    Definitly would NOT like an audience i'd prefer it to be private.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Silverfish wrote: »

I think if anyone asked my poor Dad for permission he'd say 'What? She stopped asking me for permission when she was 17. Sure I'm only a portable ATM machine."
    So the correct thing for him to do would be to ask your dad for permission to raid your dad's account to pay for the wedding so? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sorry, but asking your dad's permission... why? :confused::(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

farohar wrote: »
    So the correct thing for him to do would be to ask your dad for permission to raid your dad's account to pay for the wedding so? ;)

Nope, that was a joke. I'm my own person, I don't need money from anyone but my job :)

Also I would never expect my parents to pay for my wedding, should I ever go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I liked the idea of my husband asking my dad and mum, more in that it was seeking their formal approval of him (which I knew that they would give). My parents did help a bit towards my wedding also, I know that seem un-pc now but it meant that we did not get into any debt over our wedding (I should state that it was done to minimum expense and that we plan a big re-newal of vows for our 5 years together which we wlll pay for ourselves).

In terms of proposals - as long as he really means it, it does not matter when or where it happens.

Dudess wrote: »
    Sorry, but asking your dad's permission... why? :confused::(

because i think its a nice tradition and as cathy said above, its getting the formal approval from your parents, in some ways i guess it shows respect to your family's feelings.
    each to their own

kelly1979 wrote: »
    its getting the formal approval from your parents, in some ways i guess it shows respect to your family's feelings.
    each to their own
    Well your dad's approval and feelings anyway...

Well your dad's approval and feelings anyway...[/QUOTE

saying that if my dad didnt approve i still have a mind of my own and would say yes despite this, i'm not some 'daddys girl' who has to seek his approval for anything.
    its a tradition that i PERSONALLY approve of.
    i'm not here to force my beliefs on others the question was about 'our ideal proposals'

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

seriously, do girls actually think about these things ??? how strange :confused::confused:

kelly1979 wrote: »
    Well your dad's approval and feelings anyway...[/QUOTE

saying that if my dad didnt approve i still have a mind of my own and would say yes despite this, i'm not some 'daddys girl' who has to seek his approval for anything.
    its a tradition that i PERSONALLY approve of.
    i'm not here to force my beliefs on others the question was about 'our ideal proposals'

I have no issues with peoples personal preferances.
    But was that really a tradition? Did your father ask your mothers parents?
    Or is it just wedding schmaltz?
    It certainly didn't work that way in my family.
    My parents have always told me, when you commit your life to a partner.
    They are your top priority, second to none.
    They certainly wouldn't appreciate their approval being sought by an intended.

irishbird wrote: »
    seriously, do girls actually think about these things ??? how strange :confused::confused:

I do think of children things, like how will I cope if they turn out to be smelly boys.
    What kind of school I am going to send them to, names etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

because i think its a nice tradition
    But I think the tradition has gotten a little mixed up. The actual tradition was for the man to ask the woman. Then when she had accepted he went to the father to ask for her hand. But for some reason it has now become the man asking the father before he asks the woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Yea, it would be pretty embarrassing if her dad said yes, and the girl said no.

Lots of the ladies here are hoping for pretty hardcore proposals.

I wasn't aware it was so important. If I'm ever gettin married I was just gonna do it by text message or whatever :p

• Advertisement

Of course. Why think outside the box when there's a bunch of pre-determined rules you can follow? The easier option is the better one ultimately - it doesn't upset the apple-cart.

Of course. Why think outside the box when there's a bunch of pre-determined rules you can follow? The easier option is the better one ultimately - it doesn't upset the apple-cart.

errr...i am a little confused by your response Dudess:confused:

sure my dad has been trying to sell me off for years, so i am sure he couldnt careless

but do people actually think what they want their proposal to be like, jaysis, talk about setting yourself up for a fall. what if it isnt what you expected? would you make him do it again in the way you want? or do you tell them exactly what and how you want it?

i have never once in my life thought about what a proposal senerio. hmmm, i really think i am missing some girl genes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I want someone who thinks the world revolves around me .

You want someone from ancient times when we still thought the world was flat perhaps, i suggest for your next date a time machine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

but do people actually think what they want their proposal to be like, jaysis, talk about setting yourself up for a fall. what if it isnt what you expected? would you make him do it again in the way you want? or do you tell them exactly what and how you want it?

Ever see that episode of Scrubs, where Elliot gets yer man to propose again because he didn't do it right the first time?:D

Malari wrote: »
    Ever see that episode of Scrubs, where Elliot gets yer man to propose again because he didn't do it right the first time?:D

No, havent seen that one but there was episode of friends on last week where phoebe got her bloke to propose in loads of different ways. all a bit stupid if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I once saw a guy propose to his girlfriend in Captain America's. He had the music turned down and everything. She ran straight out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Malari wrote: »

If I remember right Veronica's Closet also had something like this where the guy proposed midway through sex so she let on like she didn't remember so he'd propose again as she wanted a story she could tell her mum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭and2

being a bloke i technically shouldnt be in here but came in for advice and have to say brillaint... planning to propose over next few weeks, Gonna ask the dad for permission as i know thats what she wants, well her mother does!! What do you's think of this.. I know i wont pick the perfect ring so is it ok to buy say a trial model like a swarovski and let the lady in question pick her own?? is that tacky or thoughtful??
    keep coming with proposal ideas.. i havnt a clue how im gonna do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I want someone who thinks the world revolves around me
    Lol

• Advertisement

Lol

Famous last words.

Advertisement