Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I remove L Plates?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I have passed my test and applied for a full licence. My certificate of compency/prov licence is with the licencing authority and I kept copies in case the cops stop me

I have paid the fee but have not physically received full licence yet. Can I remove L plates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LDriver wrote: »
    I have passed my test and applied for a full licence. My certificate of compency/prov licence is with the licencing authority and I kept copies in case the cops stop me

I have paid the fee but have not physically received full licence yet. Can I remove L plates?
    You are legally required to have L plates displayed until you have a Driving Licence (but I've never heard of anyone being done for removing them after passing a test).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LDriver

You are legally required to have L plates displayed until you have a Driving Licence (but I've never heard of anyone being done for removing them after passing a test).
    OK thanks;) better keep them up for next couple days then sigh:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

I got stopped at a checkpoint two days after I passed my test with no L plates and just the receipt for my full driving licence and nothing was said to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

Ya you can my friend passed his test a month ago and uses his certificate of passing all the time at checkpoints and they have no problem with it.just make some excuse bout being so busy at work and it's grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Dee369369 wrote: »
    Ya you can my friend passed his test a month ago and uses his certificate of passing all the time at checkpoints and they have no problem with it.just make some excuse bout being so busy at work and it's grand!

Just as a matter of interest how many times was he stopped in a month??
    If it was lots of times in the last month as you say, then isn't that strange!
    Are they after him?
    I have been driving for 4 years and haven't been stopped once at a checkpoint and I travel a lot.
    Just wondering, thats all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

After passing my test the examiner told me i could now take down my L plates and should apply for my license asap. As said already there shouldn't be much bother, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

My tester said not to remove the L plates but said i could apply for my full license. I took them down anyway as common sense would dictate that any garda would let you on your way once the receipt for the full license was produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Common sense and gardai don't usually go in the same line.. :eek:

No you must never take down your L plates, EVER! no seriously though you'll be grand :D 'Grats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

man1 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest how many times was he stopped in a month??
    If it was lots of times in the last month as you say, then isn't that strange!
    Are they after him?
    I have been driving for 4 years and haven't been stopped once at a checkpoint and I travel a lot.
    Just wondering, thats all!!

Are u suggesting he's some kind of criminal? :D
    Maybe 3 times anyway we go for spins out of cork and get stopped at checkpoints coming back in...nothing sinister goin on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm kind of dying to take my L plates down. Applied for my license 2 days ago. Can't wait to get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I took mine down within an hour- once it had sunk in that I had passed!!!

If the guards stop me I have 10 days to bring in my licence.
    Also I have told my insurance company I have passed so I am insured as a fully licensed driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Technically, you're legal to drive unaccompanied (if you're moving from a learner permit or 1st, 3rd or subsequent provisional), drive without L plates and use the motorway when your full license comes into force. That may be some time after you apply - I remember my full license took 2 weeks to issue and when I got it, it had only started a few days before, so technically, I was still driving on my 2nd provisional, for about a week.

That said, I doubt you would seriously get hassle over it. Unless there is some serious checkpoint action in your area I simply wouldn't concerned at all either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I wasn't really worried about guards to be honest, it just didn't feel real til I had the actual license. I went to the Motor Tax Office in Dublin on Monday afternoon and Wednesday morning it arrived in the post. So quick!
    I literally went straight out and took off the L plates. Very lame but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

right after my test ,My instructor told me to rip my L plates off straight away.so dont think thats a prob

As has been said you are legally required to keep your L plates up until you have your license in hand. Best thing to do is just apply as soon as you possibly can after passing your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You said you told your company that you passed your driving test. That's interesting because if you're with Quinn , they will NOT cover you if you have an accident because they see passing the exam and receiving a full drivers license as two very different things.

I got a nice old bollocking for going a few months without telling them that I received my full driving license. The lady was really nice though, she was speaking from experience because she has to deal with customers who get turned away on the advice of their legal dept. I'm glad I didn't learn this the hard way.

Just make sure ya don't have any accidents :confused::D

You said you told your company that you passed your driving test. That's interesting because if you're with Quinn , they will NOT cover you if you have an accident because they see passing the exam and receiving a full drivers license as two very different things.

I got a nice old bollocking for going a few months without telling them that I received my full driving license. The lady was really nice though, she was speaking from experience because she has to deal with customers who get turned away on the advice of their legal dept. I'm glad I didn't learn this the hard way.

Just make sure ya don't have any accidents :confused::D

I'm sorry are you referring to someone in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That's interesting because if you're with Quinn , they will NOT cover you if you have an accident
    They would be legally obliged to cover for 3rd party claims. Otherwise it would be pointless having insurance.
    I'm sorry are you referring to someone in this thread?
    Presumably he/she is referring to bigpinkelephant's thread - see below.
    I took mine down within an hour- once it had sunk in that I had passed!!!

If the guards stop me I have 10 days to bring in my licence.
    Also I have told my insurance company I have passed so I am insured as a fully licensed driver.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Rip them off! depending on your local MTO you will have your license in 2/3 weeks anyway can't see a problem just keep your receipt you got when applying for your license in your car in case you get stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

They would be legally obliged to cover for 3rd party claims. Otherwise it would be pointless having insurance.

Presumably he/she is referring to bigpinkelephant's thread - see below.

Yeah sorry, thought I quoted him. And I should of capped the YOU instead of the NOT :o

But yeah, pretty much you're in trouble if you hit a tree, end up in a ditch etc But Quinn will cover other people that bring claims against you.

I got my license in about 6 working days. So you shouldn't have long to wait, no matter what you choose to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I kept my L plates up after my test as technically I was still on a provisional. I went into the motor tax office the next day to apply for my full license.

The woman in the motor tax office said that upon issue of the receipt I was officially a fully licensed driver. Took the Ls down in the car park :D

I got my actual full license a day or two later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I got my full licence in the post today so no worries for me now!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

i just ripped off my L plates now! woooo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I took off my L plates straight after the test yesterday, I feel a bit naked without them now though :o driving along the south ring in Cork just now I was going "god I really should know what I'm doing, I don't have the excuse of being an inept learner driver any more!" and then I nearly cut out on the Wilton roundabout. Complacency setting in a bit too quickly there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Passed my test yesterday, delighted!:D

I'm gonna drive to work unacompanied without my L plates. Just worried the Gardai might pull me over for a spot check due to their "crackdown". Anyone think it would be best to take down the L plates and draw less attention to myself?:(

smoke wrote: »
    Passed my test yesterday, delighted!:D

I'm gonna drive to work unacompanied without my L plates. Just worried the Gardai might pull me over for a spot check due to their "crackdown". Anyone think it would be best to take down the L plates and draw less attention to myself?:(

I think it's all been said here, you have your cert of competency so you're good to go, i can't see the guards doing anything if you're stopped and show them both your permit and cert. If you want to play it safe, leave the plates up. You are legally allowed to drive.

Advertisement