Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator gone

Options
  • 27-05-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Car has just ground to a halt- Saab 9.3 1.9tdi alternator is not charging the battery- is that big job - will be expensive to fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Car has just ground to a halt- Saab 9.3 1.9tdi alternator is not charging the battery- is that big job - will be expensive to fix?
    Check the fan belt, if it snapped it wont be driving the alternator. It happened to me on a Transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

AA were out and they said it was the alternator. Any garage should be able to fix it as don't want to send it to car dealership as I know I will be ripped off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Take it to a car electrics place rather than a garage.

Most defects on an alternator can be fixed rather cheaply (by those in the know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Probably just the brushes worn, less than e10.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Run the engine an get an auto spark to put a multi meter across the battery terminals. That will tell you immeditely if the charge being generated is sufficient.

It's possible to overhaul an alternator, but it'll cost to remove and renovate. The bushes themselves are simple and cheap.

A new one (if needed) will be expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

if your in dublin . ther is a place just off the walkinstown roundabout on the cromwellsfort road that recondition and fix alternators . its on the left heading towards the ashleaf. near A & d motor factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Thanks I am afraid I barely know where to put the oil in so don't even know where the Alternator is :o - have not seen it - it happened when my missus was driving it and I am in work.
    I am in Dublin sending it to a local garage that were reasonable last time I had work done.

Advertisement